Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, February 03, 2008

More evidence that I am, indeed, a freak...

I didn't watch the Super Bowl. Not even a minute of it. And I don't care about what a great, shocking fourth quarter blah blah blah.

Now, if I hadn't had plans to go out (early dinner and a play), I probably would have watched parts of the game. Well, I would really have been watching the commericals, since those generate more watercooler chat anyway. I might have gone to one of the parties I was invited to. But I just don't give a shit about this game. I'm kind of baffled about why so many people DO care, even when their favorite team's not involved.

I used to enjoy professional sports in my youth, largely because it was practically a requirement in the house in which I grew up. My mom and brother are huge sports fans, so in order to attempt to "fit in" (I have always been the oddball in my family), I watched too. And even cared, somewhat.

That was a long time ago. As much as I'd like to postulate about the glory days of sports, my lack of interest now isn't really about that. My interest waned once I moved out on my own and could indulge all of my own interests freely and without judgment.*

And with control of the TV remote.

(I DID , however, catch a little of the Puppy Bowl. Awesome!)

*i do enjoy GOING to sporting events, and the whole social -- and sociological -- aspect of that. sitting at home watching on tv? zzzzzzz.)

11
At 04 February, 2008 02:48, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I watched closely enough for probably 10 people...perhaps more. I'm a diehard Giants fan and went to their games in Giants Stadium when I was a kid. The memories are classic and amazing for me.

Glad you liked the Puppy Bowl!

 
At 04 February, 2008 07:52, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i didn't even know the superbowl was on...

american politics are my NFL - and presidential primaries are god's green earth to junkies like me - i spent several hours reading about the primaries and polls and campaign and organizational techniques and blah, blah, blah on sunday

and yeah - i think i'd be more of a puppy bowl person too

i've never understood the culture of professional sports. i was a devoted fan of my high school team because i knew all the players - it meant something. even our home town hockey team (semi-pro) still at least has home town guys on it.

but pro sports are just a bunch of mercenaries who play for where they get paid or traded to

where's the buy in

that being said, like you, i still enjoy attending games for the experience. the crowds, the excitement, the stadium food

 
At 04 February, 2008 10:23, Blogger Foofa said...

I didn't watch a bit of it either but I spent about 30 min on the Puppy Bowl. I was invited to a party but it promised to snow. No way was I going far from home.

 
At 04 February, 2008 11:37, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

I didn't watch it either! I never do! Although I have attended a couple of parties, for the food, and then split before the game started...

 
At 04 February, 2008 13:28, Blogger SignGurl said...

Ditto this post for me.

I did watch the half time show last year but only because it was my beloved Prince.

 
At 04 February, 2008 23:19, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

I didn't watch it either. And no, I don't care either. Now bring on the World Series but football? It's just a bunch of big guys in pads jumping on each other. Do I sense a homoerotic pun coming on?

Sorry BG. Glad your team won though.

 
At 05 February, 2008 06:35, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

I didn't watch the Superbowl. And I didn't go out either, I sat at home and worked on Sunday night.

Because I'm cool like that.

 
At 05 February, 2008 21:05, Blogger Jon said...

I didn't watch it either.

The last few years I have lost interest. The hype has gotten to me I think.

 
At 07 February, 2008 08:53, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

My daughter signed up for our church's chili cookoff. So I had a party to go to.

And chili to cook.

At work, I joined one of those "Super Bowl Squares' games. I bought two squares for five bux. One of them was Patriots 7, Giants 3. I was bummed when the Patriots didn't score at the end of the first quarter, thinking that I missed my chance at winning.

Turns out I got second and third quarter--$100, and was one play away from winning $150. Good return on a five buck investment.

But we only came in fourth for the chili cookoff. Actually tied for fourth. With six other chilis. Out of 13.

yeharr

 
At 08 February, 2008 20:41, Blogger Angelique said...

"Pro" sports can suck my cock.
Talk about men living vicariously through others.
Do you know what the life expectancy of a (again, the quotes) "pro" football player is?
45.
That's it. It's like worse than being a Japanese business man.
And for what? To say you were that guy that did that one thing that day?

 
At 11 February, 2008 13:07, Blogger Normal Pie said...

i recorded the snoozerbowl on my DVR...so i could speed thru the game & watch the commercials. the ones that seemed worth watching, anyway. i zipped thru those that didn't amuse me in the first 20 seconds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->