Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Cranky New Year!

Still sick.

Had to go in to work today, to replace someone else who is sick. It's the new game that's taking the workplace by storm: Who's Sickest?! And since I'm a manager, I lose. It's part of the deal; when no one else can work, I have to. (Well, I suppose I could have left my other staffers shorthanded and in a lurch, but that used to drive me fucking crazy in my old job, when managers wouldn't step in when needed...holiday or not...)

And because I hadn't planned on working today -- not to mention, doing someone else's job -- nothing was arranged ahead of time, so it was triply challenging, feeling shitty and facing a holiday.(This would make more sense if I told you what I did for a living, but no! Not going there! Suffice it to say, advance planning is necessary.)

I'm now concerned that my own crud will hang on longer, because I didn't get to rest today, and my prospects for rest this week are spotty. I'm much better than I was over the weekend, but still don't feel good. And of course, because of the loud drunken revelers in my 'hood, I didn't sleep well last night. It wasn't even their reveling that was so noisy; it was their returning home. Or going from party to party. Or whatever it was that prompted the shouting and stumbling at all hours.

And then, tonight, I finally get around to ordering a 2008 calendar refill for my organizer, and the fucking company is fucking out of stock!! Yes, yes, I know it's New Year's Day. I know I should have ordered sooner. I've been swamped. I've ordered this late before. How can you be OUT OF STOCK??

We are not off to a good start, 2008 and I.

8
At 02 January, 2008 06:12, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

Nope. Doesn't seem so. And those damned calendars. You have to pre order in - um, May I think.

Hope it gets better!

 
At 02 January, 2008 11:28, Blogger Diva M. said...

I'd say Rage-A-Day in 2008 should be your motto, too.

 
At 02 January, 2008 12:15, Blogger SignGurl said...

If you moved to New York, you wouldn't have to listen to people outside since people move much quicker on New Year's Eve because it's so cold.

I hope the second day of 2008 has been kinder to you.

 
At 02 January, 2008 14:50, Blogger Foofa said...

So sorry that you had to go in when sick. Nothing is worse than that.

 
At 02 January, 2008 22:43, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Terry, get damn better! I'm sorry you're feeling like shyte. Cripes.

You're a trooper for showing up to work.

I hope your 'hood peeps trip and fall whilst drunk and loud. And that the falls result in a myriad of scrapes that sting for days. No broken bones. Just irritating road burns that remind them that they're fucktards for waking you from your slumber.

 
At 03 January, 2008 16:53, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

hi terry

It sounds like you have scurvy and if that is the case you should drink lots of mojitos. That's what cured me!


we's got to make a date. anyway I hope you are feeling better soon.

 
At 03 January, 2008 22:25, Blogger Laura said...

i know what you do for work! but dont worry i wont tell cuz unlike my mother i can keep my mouth shut!

aw terry, being sick is no good. my mom has been sick too. i dunno if you have heard her, but she has been sounding pretty bad lately!! your and diana's will be wonderful. you two are some of the funnest girls i know!

 
At 05 January, 2008 12:48, Blogger Normal Pie said...

1-yay for managers who come to work rather than leaving the staff shorthanded!

2-annual Old Work & New Work Girl & Girls Brunch when we are all healthy, yeah!

3-What? YOU...waiting until the first of the year to buy a new calendar? Are you entering my world? Welcome to it, in any event!!! (where are my glasses?)

4-I've gone from sick to better to sicker to moderately better to sick again. I'm naming it Ping Pong Syndrome.

5-feel better soon & we'll plan item #2 at that time.

xoxox, rc

ps: (but mostly shoutout to the Loud C) i can SO keep my mouth shut!! after all, I wasn't the one shouting "bitch! bitch!" in my sleep!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->