Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, December 23, 2007

New traditions...


I suppose I should dub this the Christmas of New Traditions for me, since it's the first time in... uh... maybe ever... that I haven't spent the holiday with anyone in my family. However, some of my new traditions may be crashing and burning, as my main partner in Christmas Orphandom (yes, I've just decided that's a word) is very sick, and might have to bow out of some -- or even all -- of our plans. So I could very well be more orphaned than I'd expected. Particularly on Christmas Eve, which was a bigger deal in my family for many years than Christmas Day itself.


Oh well. I'll live, though I'm sure there will be a few moments of sadness (which I'll try to cure with endless viewings of A Christmas Story). (Thank you, TNT!) But I can also bask in the glow of finally having seen the Mark Morris Dance Group's The Hard Nut. I didn't realize until recently that this was actually set to the music from The Nutcracker. Omigod, is it brilliant. Not only is it really funny, there's some spectacular dancing (and staging) in it.
I'm not sure I'll be able to take a Nutcracker seriously again after this, but I think I'll be seeing it again in the years to come. Orphaned or not.

1
At 24 December, 2007 07:30, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Oh oh oh!!! Love A Christmas Story. Good ole Ralphie.

I'm sorry that your friend's sick. That just plain sucks. I'm glad you're not throwing in the towel. Hopefully, you'll both be able to still do a few things on your list and enjoy the Eve and Day.

Now I want to see The Hard Nut. My friend, James, is a total theater/dance freak. I may kidnap him and make him take me to see it...somewhere on the east coast. Right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->