Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Queen of the Klutzes...

So there I was, walking down the stairs in my apartment building yesterday, carrying my purse, the bag I schlep to work, and a box o'stuff to be shipped to a friend, when my heel got caught in bottom of my jeans...and I fell.

It was one of those things that seemed almost to happen in slow motion. As soon as I lost my footing, I knew the fall was unstoppable, and that the landing was going to be painful. I was standing about 5'10" in those shoes...

And it was painful. After sorta tumbling sideways down about five steps, I landed on my back on the lobby floor, whacking my head on the ground as I did. Luckily, I didn't lose consciousness, but I did have the wind knocked out of me for a few seconds.

And then I didn't know what to do. I stayed put for a few moments, trying to assess how seriously I'd hurt myself. Then I sat up, and crawled carefully over to the stairs to sit there for a little while. I had no idea what to do. Should I go back to my apartment? Should I go to the hospital? Should I get in my car and go to work? I seemed to be okay, though completely rattled, so I eventually got up, picked up my things and went to my car. I sat in it for a few moments, still unsure of how to proceed.

I ended up heading to work, because aside from the nasty headache, I was intact. And I figured it would be best to be around people who could keep an eye on me all day and call for help if it turned out that I WAS seriously hurt. Of course, the first thing I did when I got there was to research concussions online, to see whether I really SHOULD be seeking medical attention.

Here's the really amazing thing: aside from the bump* on my head, and a couple of surprisingly small bruises, I'm fine. I've shown no symptoms of a serious concussion. I'm sore today in many places -- my neck, my upper back, and my core muscles are especially unhappy -- but nothing is broken, nothing bled, nothing is so bad that some rest, relaxation, stretching and anti-inflammatories won't heal. (And I am closely monitoring myself, in case something serious develops...)

I'm thinking I should stop thinking such negative thoughts about my body. Yes, it's bigger than I'd like it to be, but it has been strong and resilient through all of the torture I've put it through in my 43 years. And perhaps some of that extra padding I carry around actually helped me in this case...!


*i so wanted to write "i have a bimp on my head," but wasn't sure how many people would get it...

12
At 18 November, 2007 08:19, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Glad you're all right!

 
At 18 November, 2007 11:00, Blogger SignGurl said...

Yay for extra padding! I've been saved a time or two using mine.

I hate that out of control slow motion feeling when you are falling. In your head you are screaming, "DO SOMETHING!" but it's too late.

I hope you are still feeling ok after the fall.

I admit to not getting "I have a bimp on my head". <----Loser

 
At 18 November, 2007 11:54, Blogger Jon said...

A bimp?

I totally get it

 
At 18 November, 2007 13:08, Blogger Normal Pie said...

Man! This isn't even CorralFunny. You and Miz Cheese can recover together! A stairwell got you, and a Greyhound bus got her. Sheesh. When you said that you ended up on the lobby...first thing I imagined was one of those scenes from a movie. Fortunately, the NEXT scene differed.

Okay. No more close brushes with attacking staircases. I'm glad you won!

 
At 18 November, 2007 16:08, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I LOVE the word BIMP!

I am so happy that you're hanging in. I have fallen only a few times in my adult life and have horrid memories of each of them. Here's to you feeling SO MUCH BETTER!

 
At 18 November, 2007 16:52, Blogger masgblog said...

oh no! I think as we age, our injuries are no longer as graceful as they were when we were younger...at least mine aren't.

What do you think of the new blog look? I needed a real change!

 
At 19 November, 2007 10:17, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

If I fall on my bum, I'm gonna be okay. Anywhere else, ouch!

I hate that feeling of inevitably hitting the horizontal hard surface. KNowing you're going down and can't stop it is...helpless!

glad you okay!

 
At 19 November, 2007 12:33, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

You got lucky. I'm glad you did.

Do you have a lessahnse for your mihmkey?

yeharr

 
At 19 November, 2007 23:37, Blogger Laura said...

ugh, my mom is totally right. not even funny!! im glad u are okay. i trip and fall A LOT. especially in the kitchen, as something always makes the floor slick. i hate that moment of oh shit, falling, cant do anything. man, im glad you are alirght!

 
At 20 November, 2007 13:54, Blogger Foofa said...

I am so glad you are ok. I think of of the best things i ever learned in life was how to properly fall. Although I haven't fallen much in the past few years the lessons have come in handy.

 
At 20 November, 2007 14:33, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

Sheesh! I fell like you once and tore myself up. Heels and stairs, especially with arms full are a bad combination. I'm glad you're okay.

And when I read your blog, I totally heard "bimp" even before I saw your post script.

God Bless Peter Selers!

 
At 28 November, 2007 17:18, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

Ugh, my pants and heels always are tripping me...I think it's because I'm so short that there's always at least 7 inches extra so no amount of heel will be high enough. I'm glad you're okay though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->