Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Ho, ho, holy crap...

How did it get to be December already? Does it feel like Christmastime to you?

I can't believe Thanksgiving was already more than a week ago. That was another lovely visit to my friend Cindy's family compound in SoCal, by the way. Yes, that WAS us at the Kohl's in Poway at 4 a.m. on Black Friday. There were hundreds of people waiting in line to get in before us, crazily enough. And that was us having burgers at the Red Robin at North County Fair at 9:30 a.m., too. And yes, I got my snow globe from Penney's this year; since we weren't there when the store opened, there was reason to be concerned that we'd miss out, but hooray, we didn't. It wouldn't be a proper Black Friday without those free snow globes!

And then, as I was returning home on Sunday, I ended up driving on a flat tire as I left the lot where I'd parked my car near the Oakland airport and had a delightful adventure trying to find a spot that felt safe to pull over while my tire was shredding on the freeway. At 11:15 p.m. In a not-so-great part of town. Luckily, Triple A wasn't very busy, so I didn't wait long for a tow truck to help me out. (No, I've never changed a tire, and I wasn't about to try to learn how at that hour in that location.)

So here we are, at the holidays again. And this year's a little weirder than most; my mom's not up for a trip out here, and doesn't want me to go to her place, so I'm completely on my own this season. That's a first in my adult life -- I've either had a husband or my mom and the person formerly known as my brother to spend the holidays with, even after my mom moved to Wisconsin eight years ago. This is partly why I've ended up traveling during so many holidays since then -- to keep the Holiday Lonelies away. (And to spend Christmas with my mom, of course. It doesn't seem right not to.)

The holidays can be the bane of a single person's existence... especially with those fucking jewelry commercials every five seconds. Gaah. (Then again, I remember that hideous last holiday season with the ex. I've never felt so lonely in my life as I did that Christmas.)

However, I'm finding I have several friends in the same situation this year, so we're working to put together alternative celebrations. One girlfriend and I are trying to see if we can find a spa experience on Christmas day. We're hoping that at least one hotel with a spa has at least limited hours on the big day. And we've just been invited to dinner at a major foodie co-worker's home, so that will be amazing. I think I'm spending Christmas Eve -- which for years has been a bigger deal in my family -- out at one of my fave neighborhood restaurants with the other orphans from work. So instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'm looking forward to these low-stress adventures.

But don't get me started on New Year's Eve.

p.s. hey look! updated links over there ------->

9
At 02 December, 2007 22:55, Blogger Laura said...

ah! if we are doing anything on xmas that is friend related you are for sure invited! but im pretty sure its just me mom and ben and the grandparents...low stress holidays are goood! they can be very stressful. but im not stressed, because i will get freakin five weeks off!

 
At 03 December, 2007 00:00, Blogger Normal Pie said...

um...who LIVES near oakland airport?!?!?! jesus, girlie! if you ever pull a flat in the neighborhood again, please do call. jeeez louise.

xo, rc

 
At 03 December, 2007 02:52, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I'm so glad that I waited to read the whole post before commenting.

The day that you feel you're alone for some holiday, you're to hop a freaking plane to Virginia. We have space. We have a whole bathroom for just YOU. We have a Buddha.

I'm crossing my fingers for your Christmas spa experience! I'm gonna live vicariously through YOU!

 
At 03 December, 2007 04:36, Blogger SignGurl said...

It's not just you that gags on the "sweetness" of those jewelery commercials. Blech!

This holiday season may just be the best ever for you because you won't have any preconceived notions about how things should be. Also, no family pressure has to be a wonderful thing.

 
At 03 December, 2007 11:55, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

One of the nice things about Christmas is that FAMILY doesn't have to be people you're related to or married to!

 
At 04 December, 2007 20:55, Blogger Jon said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. But what an adventure getting back. Yikes!

This T-day was the least family oriented I have ever experienced even though I had spent the day at my brother's. It was us 2 and his friends. Felt odd.

I am driving to Michigan with the kids this year. I sure hope the weather holds out.

I am thinking I may have to stay here next year. Two trips a year for family gatherings is too much, even when I love them all very much.

I'm wondering if Christmas in Vegas is cheap.

 
At 05 December, 2007 13:01, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

Poway? North County Fair? What??? You were in town and you didn't email me or comment me or anything? We SOOOOO could've met up for a coffee! I'm disappointed in you.... :) Next time, you BETTER give me the heads up so we can finally meet! I'm glad you got home safely.

 
At 14 December, 2007 18:04, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

New Years Eve and the 4th of July are always my most dreaded holidays.

 
At 16 December, 2007 09:57, Blogger kt said...

i spent christmas with friends last year - all of us were stuck in denver because of the huge blizzard and i invited everyone over to my house. we drank and i made dinner and we played games and watched silver spoon reruns on on-demand. it was the least stressful christmas ever!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->