Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Monday, January 07, 2008

Maybe things are looking up...

I talked my way out of a parking ticket this morning.

See, when I stop at my Starbucks on the way to work each day, I technically park illegally, in that I never put money in the parking meter. I'm only there a couple of minutes - usually - and I've never seen a parking control officer* on that street at that time of day.

Until today. When everything inside Starbucks was moving at a glacial pace -- the customers, the workers, my brain. After finally getting my delicious Venti Soy No Water Chai (hi, fussy much? at least I don't order them extra hot...), I walk out to find a PCO behind my car, entering my license plate number into her handheld Satanic ticket-issuing computer device.

I approached her with a smile and asked, "Would it do me any good if I left right now?" Because really, I deserved the ticket.

She stopped, looked at me, hesitated, and said, "You know what? I'll void the ticket because you're being civil." She then looked at a car behind mine, whose driver apparently wasn't, and said she'd have to pretend to give me a ticket while he was still there, because she didn't void his.

So all I got was an empty envelope, and some reinforcement that playing nice has its rewards.

And then I got my ass kicked in hula tonight. Not only have we not had class for a couple of weeks, I've barely moved during that time, because I've been so sick. And I'm still not completely free of chestal crud. HOLY CRAP, tonight was tough. I got winded much sooner than I should have, and my thighs, hips, and calves are screaming at me.

But it was so good to be back. I've missed it so much. I'm tired of feeling like a lifeless, atrophying lump. I've missed my Kumu and my hula brothers and sisters.

And tomorrow, after work, I might actually have the time and energy to do exciting things like shop for a calendar! Go grocery shopping! Put my laundry away! Pick up some of this crap that's all over my apartment!

I really need a wife, you know. I can't manage my own life anymore, especially when I get sick.


*i won't call them meter maids... especially since mine was so nice.

12
At 08 January, 2008 03:02, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Hooray for being civil! I love that she faked your ticket for the dickhead behind you. Good times! So glad you've made it back to hulu. There's something so healing about great community.

 
At 08 January, 2008 05:31, Blogger Michelle said...

Proof that it pays to be civil/nice :) Most people would have been asses about it. Good for you! :)

 
At 08 January, 2008 08:35, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Jethro almost got a speeding ticket on boxing day! Merry Christmas! Good thing he was nice.

I will start riding again this week...my back is really stiff and sore from all the lying around for the past few weeks. Back to real life!

 
At 08 January, 2008 10:12, Blogger Foofa said...

Wow, nice work.

 
At 08 January, 2008 12:09, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I was thinking that maybe I'd get a maid
Find a place nearby for her to stay
Just someone to keep my house clean
Fix my meals, and go away.

A maid
A man needs a maid

-Neil Young, at his whiny best.

Nice work with the meterperson. More flies with sugar, and all that.

I was expecting to read about the return of Colbert today.

You must really be sick.

yeharr

 
At 08 January, 2008 16:07, Blogger SignGurl said...

Woo hoo!! You rock, Terry!

I wish some of today's youth would take "civil" lessons from you. Dear lord, I sound like a crotchety old lady.

 
At 08 January, 2008 21:38, Blogger terry said...

buddhagirl, i thought that was pretty funny too, the theatrical ticket act. and you're so right, about community!

chelle, the thing is, i had no grounds to complain. i suppose that wouldn't have stopped some people, but even if i had time on the meter, i wouldn't have been a dick about it. i hope not, anyway...!

heidi, how'd jethro get out of that?? and hooray, for getting back to real life! doesn't it feel so much better?

natalie, thank you. it actually took no effort at all.

pirate, that should be my theme song! i need someone to take care of me, and then leave! awesome.

and i didn't get to see colbert until today. i don't know how long he or jon can sustain without writing anything... though the first night was funny (especially the tease, and the word).

signgurl, i'm older and more crotchety than you are! hahahahaaaha.

 
At 08 January, 2008 21:49, Blogger Angela said...

WAIT!! Did you get a calendar yet??? I have an extra.

 
At 08 January, 2008 21:54, Blogger terry said...

ang, i DID get one, tonight. it was a tough choice -- there were many awesome calendars there.

in fact, i almost called you, as there was a haiku calendar!!

thanks for thinking of me...!

 
At 09 January, 2008 13:27, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

It's amazing what being nice will get you. Just ask my customers. Being asshole? I'll get that refill for you right away.... Act like a civil person who understands that I have many things to do and actually be patient? The world is yours. Where's that platter??

btw- "Livin' la vida dorka" LOL!! I may steal that!

 
At 09 January, 2008 16:09, Blogger Jeannette said...

Congrats on getting out of that ticket!!

Sorry that you're feeling sick. Hope that you feel better soon.

What calendar did you finally decide on?

 
At 10 January, 2008 14:03, Blogger Natalia said...

As you might have read in some of my posts, I always seem to be way too sarcastic with them to talk myself out of anything. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->