Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Lucky in love?

I just had an epiphany.
A friend of mine has fallen in love for the first time, which is really wonderful. The problem is, this person is already in a legally-binding relationship, so it's also awful. It's impossible to move in any direction without someone -- or more than one person -- getting hurt, but it would also be awful to live without ever having that feeling of real, true, passionate love. So I'm thrilled and sad for my friend, all at the same time.
And then I realized how lucky I've been to have had that kind of love in my life. I know it exists. I know what it feels like. Even though it all eventually went to shit and caused me more pain than I could ever have imagined. I mean, I'll never know how he truly felt about me -- it seemed in those early years that he was as in love as I was -- but that's not the point.
The point is that I've been privileged to have felt that overwhelming, all-consuming love for someone else. It was beautiful, once. And I know that even if I never feel it again (a very sad thought, actually), I won't settle for less than that.

3
At 10 February, 2008 06:25, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Jaysus, I feel for your friend. Makes me sad.

I'm also so happy to hear that even though things went to Shitville when your marriage ended, you can realize the all-consuming yet gentle love you had for/with him and won't settle for less in the future.

 
At 11 February, 2008 10:18, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

Amen. It's sad to think that some people have never experienced this. Not even for a little bit.

 
At 11 February, 2008 12:11, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

settling is a terrible thing

your words are wise and true

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->