Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, February 08, 2007

There are two kinds of people in this world...




...those who love music and feel it down to their very souls, and those who are content to leave it in the background.

This brilliant (natch) insight of mine is the only way I can explain why so many people could sit in a small, intimate cabaret while the amazing Paula West is singing... and talk.

In full voice.

On and off, throughout her performance.

What. The. FUCK??

Miss Sassyhair and I ventured out to the beloved Plush Room last night to see the great Ms. West again, and she dazzled us, as always. Many times, I was completely lost in the music, and I consider that a great gift.

But I couldn't help but notice the morons who were talking. The room is so small it's impossible not to hear people talking no matter where you're sitting, and I know the performers hear it.

I don't get it. Now, I've written about this before, but I am still at a loss to explain this behavior. How is it that so many people have no manners at all?

And manners aside, how can you sit a few feet from someone who's singing her ass off and TALK? How are you not drawn in by the artistry before you?

Music is one of my great loves. It always has been. Even as a pre-teen, I'd sit and obsess (for lack of a better word) over every word, every note, every beat of songs I loved. It's also intertwined with my love of dance, because there's almost nothing I love more than expressing myself to music. Expressing how the music makes me feel, through dance. Watching others do the same. (I'm sorry, I'm not explaining that very well. I don't know that I can explain it. I think you either feel it or you don't.)

It makes me sad to encounter people who are content to leave music in the background. They're missing so much.

20
At 08 February, 2007 19:43, Blogger JMai said...

Awww, I feel sad now, because I think I'm a music-in-the-background person. I mean, I don't go to concerts and then sit and gab. That's just dumb. But often it's the same to me if music is on or it isn't, and I can let the radio or my iPod go for hours without remembering more than two or three of the songs that've played. I think my mind is too busy all the time to always appreciate it like you clearly do.

I noticed a funny thing though, recently. When I was younger, I was all about the lyrics. Now I am more drawn to the music - does it soothe me, move me, annoy me? The lyrics are secondary. God help me, soon I might begin to appreciate opera. Blech!

I'm glad you were still able to enjoy the music and make a night of it.

 
At 08 February, 2007 20:16, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

You obviously don't understand that these people are more important than the performer. After all, she's merely an artist.

I'd despise people like that if they weren't so contemptable. They are the celery of humanity.

yeharr

 
At 08 February, 2007 20:18, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

oh, and jmai--don't knock opera. go find a good performance of la boheme sometime--it will make 'Rent' look like a short-term lease.

yeharr

 
At 08 February, 2007 21:04, Blogger terry said...

that's really interesting, jmai... that the music is more the focus for you now than the lyrics. it probably DOES serve to quiet your very busy mind.

in recent years, a friend of mine has become quite fond of those new age-y, soothing/relaxation music cds... also known (by me) as music that incites violence. in me.

so i don't appreciate ALL music, i guess.

pirate...i'm snorting at "the celery of humanity...!" that's an excellent line.

hey, i loved "rent." not the movie. the play. and i saw baz luhrmann's version of "la boheme." does that count as culture?

 
At 09 February, 2007 06:17, Blogger SignGurl said...

Terry, I think I'm like you. I can literally get lost in music. My mind seems to wander and I think of music as a stress reliever.

 
At 09 February, 2007 09:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Terry, I can get very lost, especially when I'm running, I need music then.

I love the "celery of humanity" comment too.

 
At 09 February, 2007 10:14, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

I guess there's background music and music that needs your full attention. I think some people get confused as to which is which.

 
At 09 February, 2007 12:39, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

Terry don't forget you are an Doctor Atomic maniac

 
At 09 February, 2007 13:32, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

oops blogger ate my comment yesterday!

but now I forget what I said because of the celery of humanity.

I know a lot of musicians personally and they have to learn to keep performing even if the rude people have the right to keep talking when they paid to sit there, but that doesn't mean they have to like it.

 
At 09 February, 2007 16:24, Blogger The Savage said...

There is some music I feel and some I tend to leave in the background.
If I am at a show and it is music i leave in the background.. I tend to keep my trap shut cuz talking through it is quite rude...

buncha background ass ponies!!!!

 
At 09 February, 2007 22:42, Blogger terry said...

signgurl, actually, one of the few times when my mind DOESN'T wander is when i'm completely caught up in some music i love. (or in hula class). it's a struggle for me to stay in the here and now most of the time... !

little sis, i hate working out without music... !

love monkey, that's a good point. i guess i just don't listen to music that doesn't command my attention. as a result, i tend to change the channel a lot on the radio when i'm driving...

 
At 09 February, 2007 22:46, Blogger terry said...

cheese... hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa....!

all that's comforting me is the coffee and sandwiches.

(or whatever the fuck that line was.)


heidi, i'm sure musicians are used to jackasses in the audience. and i don't expect silence, say, at a big rock concert in a large venue (unless, as seems to happen often, i end up next to people who spend the entire evening talking about their lives to each other in very loud tones). but jeesh... jazz/standards in a small venue? shut your yap, people.

savage, see? you have manners...! these boors don't.

 
At 10 February, 2007 05:20, Blogger JMai said...

At first, I read that as "celerity of humanity" and just didn't get it. Then I realised we were talking about vegetables, and had a good giggle.

Pirate -- my dad is a huge opera fan and has been trying to bring me over to the dark side since I was twee. Once he took me to the Met. The grandeur of it took my breath away, but about 15 minutes in, I was like... can we go now? can we go now? can we go now?

Not really what he wanted to hear.

 
At 11 February, 2007 10:01, Blogger Laura said...

music is...the food of life.

 
At 11 February, 2007 10:16, Blogger FATSO said...

I agree that people should sut their yaps- but it really isn't their fault. Really.

I can't believe I said that!! Anyways...as LM pointed out there is Background music (noise/muzak) and stuff you need to pay attention to. I can go either way- I either must listen to it (and because I am a musician, dissect it!) or just barely hear it to avoid trying to analyze it. I am weird that way.

But as I was saying earlier...(er, where? Oh yes...2 paragraphs above) Many people simply dont know how to behave appropriately at a concert. Standing on your chair and clapping and yelling is fine when you're watching Van Halen but not when you're at jazz club (most ofthe time) or symphony concert (never!...*giggles at the tought*....and how many people talk in movie theatres these days? We are a society that has a lot of background "noise" and perhaps for some it is hard to know when to suck in those delicious sounds and when to not hear anything at all.

 
At 11 February, 2007 17:04, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

ack!

what happened to my comment from the other day? *!@#$%ing blogger

----

it's a live music venue. people should shut up.

but like balloon pirate says, their conversation is far more important

i always wonder why they just didn't go for coffee instead of attending a performance

just like people who talk during movies - pisses me off

 
At 12 February, 2007 05:13, Blogger Blondie said...

What? I couldn't hear you--I was talking to myself.

 
At 12 February, 2007 10:35, Blogger Natalia said...

I so feel you. I get upse when people talk over music. That's why I live it better when I am driving along and I don't have to restart the song every time someone speaks. Oh well.

-N

 
At 14 February, 2007 11:38, Blogger sassinak said...

talking at the cabaret i can (BARELY) understand and thus i can sort of contain my rage

talking at the THEATRE! and not movie, oh no broadway ... yeah uh huh talking through rent for the whole damm day

talking at the movies

and most definetely talking during concerts

i kill them with my laser eye beams!

 
At 16 February, 2007 14:14, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

Oh I thought you were going to say that there are two kinds of people- ones who have great curls like that and the rest of us...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->