Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

All hail the queen...


The Queen Mary II, that is.
She pulled into port here on Sunday afternoon to much fanfare, and spent most of yesterday parked along our waterfront.
And it was the nuttiest thing I've seen in ages.
As you may know, she's the biggest cruise ship in the universe. Or something like that. And definitely the biggest passenger ship to dock here.
So that drew large crowds... not only to watch her come through the Gate and cross the bay (I wish I'd been up to that, because... well... look at that picture from the SF Chronicle!), but just to walk by her while she was in port.
There were traffic jams, on the Embarcadero AND on all the side streets in the area. Traffic was backed up on the main thoroughfare that leads from that pretty bridge to the area where the ship was docked. ALL DAY.
The sidewalks were bustling all over the neighborhood. ALL DAY. Which was amazing, for a Monday.
Because of a big ship. I couldn't believe it.
Okay, so I was part of it -- she was docked so close to work that we took a little field trip over there, and even got close to getting on the ship, using our professional wiles, but alas... we could not, though we did get closer to the ship than most spectators.
It was a fun little diversion for an average mid-winter day. But it also made me long for a grand adventure...
Also? This is HILARIOUS.

13
At 06 February, 2007 20:43, Blogger Jon said...

That's a big damn boat

 
At 06 February, 2007 21:13, Blogger terry said...

jon, it was like a skyscraper sitting on the waterfront. and it only made it under the bridge with about 30 feet to spare. biiiig!

 
At 07 February, 2007 01:31, Blogger The Savage said...

That's a huuuuuuuuuuge bitch!

 
At 07 February, 2007 04:04, Blogger JMai said...

Wow, that must have been a sight... -sigh- I sooooooooooo want to go on a cruise vacation. Cruise gods, please shine on me!

 
At 07 February, 2007 05:07, Blogger Blondie said...

I read about it barely making the bridge in the paper (well, online). That would have been quite the sight. Ah, men and their penis ships...

 
At 07 February, 2007 06:36, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

I cannot get my head around that picture! It looks like it was photoshopped!

I have friends who've done cruises. They said you barely feel the waves because the ship is so big. I'm such a frickin landlubber...

 
At 07 February, 2007 06:50, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

big ship big ship big ship
toy boat toy boat toy boat

please tell me that there were people on that thing...as in actual passengers. cuz using that much energy just to move a bunch of tin around for no other reason than to move a bunch of tin around would really piss me off.

yeharr

 
At 07 February, 2007 09:12, Blogger Natalia said...

I heard about this on the radio and I thought of you :)

-N

 
At 07 February, 2007 17:43, Blogger terry said...

savage... really HUUUGE!

jmai, i want to cruise too. especially on a really posh kind of ship....

blondie... hah. penis ship. hah! it was quite a sight even sitting on the waterfront.

heidi, it DOES look fake, doesn't it? the bridge looks teeny.

pirate, there were about 2000 people who got off here, and 2000 others who got on, bound for hawaii and australia. sadly, i was not one of them...

jeannette, i shared "astronut" at work today and everyone loved it! that's such an incredible story.

nat, it's nice i've invaded your brain!

 
At 07 February, 2007 19:32, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

Someday I want to ride the QM2!

Its so big i'm sure I wouldn't get seasick.

:o)

 
At 08 February, 2007 04:40, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

Good way to mix things up on a weekday! And you should go on an adventure!

Thanks for the link - damn diapered astronaut! LOL hey, who hasn't thought of it even for a second before taking a road trip? No? Yeah? Ok. yeah, it's gross.

 
At 08 February, 2007 09:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-

I planned a trip on that ship for my boss and his family when it first came out, he left out of NYC, it is one amazing ship, and I can tell you from his experience amazing in every way. Just the planning it was fun for me:)

 
At 08 February, 2007 14:06, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i'd be out looking at it

sorry

i'd lemming that one for sure

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->