Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, February 15, 2007

I hate when that happens...

You know....when work gets in the way of your blogging. Damn! I have things I want to write about, here and over at Celery Central.

No. Time. Now.

However, I will let you in on my big plans for the three-day holiday weekend: I'm purging.

Not food. Gross.

No, I'm going to tackle all the excess crap in my apartment and get it out of here.

Living in a fairly large space (for an apartment) with lots of storage space (ditto previous parenthetical passage) for many years can lead to too much clutter. Especially when you tend to be lazy, as I do. It's simply too easy to stack stuff up in the closets and forget about it than it is to actually dispose of it.

I've just spotted some sort of kitchenware product I received as a wedding gift - in 1990 - that's never been opened. I don't even know what it is. Why is it taking up precious shelf space in my kitchen?? Why do I still have those ugly plates I got as a wedding gift? (I don't mean the china; that's not going anywhere. I still love that.)

And to make it even easier on myself, I've made an appointment with the 1-800-GOT JUNK people to haul it away. All I need to do is stack this shit up and point the burly junk dudes in the right direction and it will be gone in short order, including the old fold-out table we used to use as a dining room table 1000 years ago. Why is THAT still here?

The funny thing is, as much as I despise cleaning -- and I do -- I'm really looking forward to this. More space! Less clutter!

And room for new, cool stuff I might want to buy.

15
At 15 February, 2007 19:37, Blogger JMai said...

Is there really such a number as 1.800.GOT.JUNK? Seriously? That's too awesome.

I LOVE the idea of buying cool new stuff. That is one of my favourite hobbies. Unfortunately, I'm not so good at the throwing out of stuff!

 
At 15 February, 2007 19:45, Blogger terry said...

jmai, there is! they even have a website, with that as the URL. i see their trucks around town and it dawned on me just today that perhaps i should avail myself of their services.

i'm not so good at throwing out stuff either, but when i set my mind to it, i can be ruthless. and i'm feeling ruthless about the crap these days, so...

 
At 15 February, 2007 20:07, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

Hold the DAMN PHONE!!

Don't throw away anything I want.

:o).

That is, anything with flowers or bunnies on it. Or sunshines. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 15 February, 2007 20:48, Blogger terry said...

hey, cheese.... if you'd like to come over saturday night and check out the crap, feel free...!

i don't think i have bunnies or sunshines on anything. maybe flowers. i'm not sure. and the clothes are shoes will all be faaaaaar too big for you...

 
At 16 February, 2007 04:21, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

I did that a couple of years ago - there's only ONE thing I miss - some old barn door I had (I don't know WHY I miss this, but..) anyway of all the stuff I threw out that's the only thing, so I guess it was time. It's a great feeling!

 
At 16 February, 2007 08:21, Blogger Natalia said...

I do have to do some spring cleaning. Most definitely. Ugh...just the thought, though, makes me want to curl up under my desk.

-N

 
At 16 February, 2007 08:39, Blogger Foofa said...

I have a bag of clothes that I RARELY wear and some of it I will nver wear again but I keep it just in case. I don't know why? I don't even have THAT much closet space. Kudos to your cleaning out.

 
At 16 February, 2007 10:37, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

oh good for you! It's a good feeling, and believe, I am a hardcore pack rat. I had to do a major purge when we did the Big Renovation That I'm Still Not Ready to Talk About. Since then I am really careful about what objects I allow into my house.

Have fun!

 
At 16 February, 2007 12:41, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh I'm with you. I hate the cleaning part but it feels oh so good when it's all done and you miraculously have tons of space!! (And loads of junk...lol) You have inspired me to get my butt in gear and do some of that same thing!!
Have fun with your cleaning and have a great weekend!! :)

 
At 16 February, 2007 13:55, Blogger SignGurl said...

I'm the queen of clean! My family begs me to come and rid them of their crap. I think I have a knack for spotting and having people part with useless stuff.

Good on you!

 
At 16 February, 2007 13:57, Blogger SignGurl said...

P.S. Is it wrong that I find Shaggy sexy?

 
At 16 February, 2007 14:12, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

I should really be doing this as well.

 
At 16 February, 2007 21:13, Blogger Jon said...

Since my oldest is ill-ing I guess we won't be skiing this Sunday. It's going to be a nice day. I guess that's the best kind of day to do this sort of thing. I think I'll join you... remotely

 
At 17 February, 2007 05:12, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Ooooh I hate doing it but love the after-effects! Are you going to show before and after pics?

You may have inspired me. If can't sneak Buddha into child watch at the Y today, my hiney will be purging as well!

 
At 17 February, 2007 09:13, Blogger terry said...

love monkey, you had an old barn door in your home??

wait. there's so much crap in my closets i suspect i might find something like that too.

nat, it's something i've wanted to do for months, but have had the same reaction as you. now i find myself with a three-day weekend with no firm plans so i'm ready! i think.

natalie, it's funny how we hang on to stuff like that. i do it too.

heidi, i think that's wise, to limit what comes in after a big purge. i did that for awhile after the last big purge about 8 years ago, but somewhere, a line was crossed...

chelle, good luck with your purge!

signgurl, come on out and help me!! it's warmer here....

yvonne, i think you really have to be in the right mindset. and because i have a truck coming to get my crap tomorrow, i have a deadline, too. i work best under pressure.

jon, good luck...! you know, i could use some help...

buddhagirl, i guess i should do pics. i'm almost embarrassed to show the "befores" to y'all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->