Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, September 10, 2006

One Sweet World...*


When I was a young concert-goer, I used to envy the people who had great seats. I'd watch them walk down, down, down to the area in front of the stage, and wonder if I'd ever be so lucky.



And in recent years, I HAVE been lucky that way...with really great seats to some concerts. In the first six rows, for several Barenaked Ladies shows, for instance. And I've seen a certain Latin pop singer's bon-bon up close.


But I could never manage to get really good seats for Dave Matthews Band concerts. It's a challenge to get reserved seats at all, and not get stuck on the fucking hideous lawn at the venue where they play most often. Once, when I was flush with cash, I went to a scalper...uh... I mean... ticket broker.... and got 20th row seats, which were cool... but they were off to the side of the stage. Another time, at a different venue, I somehow ended up with 15th row seats, and I was really happy with those. But usually, I'm just glad to have seats at all (not that you can sit during their shows). They have a huge following here, so just getting to see their shows at all is a treat.


Last night, I thoroughly enjoyed that long walk down to our 9th row center seats. I stopped at one point, turned around and looked at my friend Sherri, and she was already wide-eyed, well before we got to our row. And the show was amazing. AWE. SOME. Well, both shows were, but it's a totally different experience when you're up close and personal the way we were.


And we lucked out both nights, in that we had really friendly, easygoing people around us. I tell ya, it's crapshoot at these shows. At some, we've been surrounded by drunken boors. Once, there was a thoroughly inebriated couple behind us that made out so furiously during the concert, we thought they were going to have sex on the spot.


On Friday, though, we had the extra entertainment of two guys hitting on us right after we sat down. They were seated in front of us, and as we got settled into our area, they gave us both the once over, and then started chatting us up in the most hilariously obvious manner possible. One even asked me -- and I'm not kidding -- to wrap myself around him, if he got cold.

Yeah. Okay, he was cute and all... but still.

I seem to have missed my cue, when he leaned back for warmth, as I was too busy, you know, WATCHING THE BAND I PAID GOOD MONEY TO SEE.

Don't feel bad for him, though... He found female companionship a short time later, a few seats away, and we never saw them again.


All in all, a great weekend. And I didn't want last night to end.



*no, they didn't play this song - which is one of my faves -- this weekend, but i forgive them.

7
At 10 September, 2006 16:27, Blogger SignGurl said...

Lucky girl!!!

 
At 10 September, 2006 17:05, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Hey! I can comment!

The best seats I ever had weren't even seats. When I was in college I got to work 'security' for an Elvis Costello & the Attractions concert. This was shortly after 'This Year's Model' came out. For whatever reason, only about 100 students came to the concert, so there was no real need for 'security.' I spent the concert sitting a few feet from the stage, and Elvis sang most of the songs directly at me.

Yeharr

 
At 10 September, 2006 18:16, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

what the hell just happened to my comments?

goddamn blogger!

i just whined about not getting good bands and talked about what a great time it sounded like and blogger ate it

[snark]

 
At 10 September, 2006 19:16, Blogger terry said...

signgurl, definitely. even the woman who took our tickets at the venue was envious.

bp, that is SO cool!
i have had a couple of up-close-and-personal in studio encounters with dave himself, but never the whole band for an entire show. and i want more.

cadbury, i hate blogger these days!

 
At 11 September, 2006 08:15, Blogger Natalia said...

blogger just swallowed my comment. And it was long. The short of it is I love concerts. I am glad you had a good time. I have not been to as many concerts this years as I usually do. But it has been hectic and I have been avoiding the ticketmaster site on purpose. But I shall be back!

-N

 
At 11 September, 2006 15:06, Blogger JMai said...

Funny little concert boys.

I'm still so jealous, but so glad you had a great time. I've yet to make it to see DMB ...one of these days. Maybe Nat will join me when she gets back into the concert spirit.

 
At 11 September, 2006 18:37, Blogger terry said...

goddamn blogger just ate my comment too!! motherfucker!

oh. anyway. nat, i haven't been to many concerts this year either. what's up with us??

jmai, they were funny little concert boys. and very fun to flirt with, until the show started and i wanted them to shut up and stop blocking my view. but i'm weird that way...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->