Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, August 25, 2006

Hey, remember me?

I'm that dork who couldn't bear to miss a day in blogland. I can't believe it's been nearly two weeks since I've spent any real time here! Yikes.

That's another cool feature of having a new job: time flies. I'm working longer hours most days than I used to, but it doesn't FEEL like it. I'm sure that will change one day, but I'm liking that feeling.

Also? Still sleeping better, now that I'm past the anxiety of that first week. I am SO happy about that.

This past week was a little more challenging than the first two, in that we implemented a new organizational system (how's that for vague corporate speak?) and it was received better by some folks than others. Actually, I was really pleased at how many of my new colleagues took to the new system. Some even raved about it, which was really cool. It still needs tweaking, but we're past the hardest part.

Another cool thing? I got to go to the Raiders-49ers game last Sunday, courtesy of my new employer. I went with a co-worker I've actually known socially for a few years and her boyfriend, who was all nervous about making a good impression on his woman's new boss...!! Imagine the snort-fest I had over THAT notion. I can't say we paid much attention to the game, between the chatting and... uh... the alcohol... but it was good fun. And my ears are still ringing from all the extraordinarily loud chanting of "Raaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiddddddddddddderrrrrrrrrrs" before, during, and after the game. Good times.

(abrupt topic change)
It's amazing what a difference $900 worth of work can make in a car. I've known for awhile that I really needed new tires and definitely needed a tune-up, and kept deferring the work. I wasn't driving my car daily, and oh yeah, didn't have much wiggle room financially, so I was waiting. And waiting. And waiting some more.

But my car started crying for help, in the form of squealing brakes, so I knew it was just a matter of time before disaster struck as I drove down the steep streets of Potrero Hill after hula class. Luckily, I got the car into the shop BEFORE anything bad happened, but I was white-knuckling it, every time I got behind the wheel. And now, after some new front tires, new front brakes, a tune-up, oil and lube... it feels like a brand new car. A safer one, with an engine that practically purrs. (It, too, had been crying for help, but I was pretending not to hear.)

Speaking of hula class? He's started adding arm work into the steps now and I feel like a complete spaz again. But I ain't quitting...

7
At 25 August, 2006 21:36, Blogger DZER said...

I know all about organizational shifts and new program implementations ... sounds like yours went/is going better than most ...

and I hear you on the car thing ... my truck needs a tune-up and some various other minor work ... bleah

and hey ... we've missed you!

and you missed my "on notice" from Stephen Colbert! LOL

 
At 25 August, 2006 23:08, Blogger terry said...

gah, dz, it's so awful when you know you need to take your car in, but need to wait until money falls from the sky or something.

so it felt good to get it taken care of. it was just a painful hit all at once. and means i'm pretty much broke until my next payday!

i missed you too! and i just spotted my darling mr. colbert on the diatribe. now i gotta catch up with this week's shows...

 
At 26 August, 2006 04:52, Blogger JMai said...

You sound so happy! It makes all the difference in the world when you're happy at work. We spend so much of our lives working, I just think it's so wasteful to be in a bad job environment. I mean, I know that sometimes you can't help it for whatever number of reasons, but ... ahh I'm jumbling my words here, it's too early in the morning! But hopefully you know what I mean!

Welcome back, lady. We definitely missed you!

 
At 26 August, 2006 06:14, Blogger Wine Girl said...

Hey there, I am BG's other sis, your competition for dorky blogger :)

Good to hear someone is liking their job and dealing well!

Love that you take Hula lessons, that takes serious guts sister! Wish I could take them with you, you would feel like a spaz with me in the class, you'd think you were and expert I am sure!!!!

Glas all is going well with the car, car trouble never seems to come in small spurts...it always comes in huge down pours that drain a bank account. Hold on until payday. You'll make it.

 
At 26 August, 2006 14:23, Blogger terry said...

jmai, i so agree about bad work environments. and my old one wasn't bad, in that i had really great people around me. but i felt very underappreciated by the powers-that-be, and definitely needed a new challenge. i stopped in at my old place yesterday to pick something up, and one of my former bosses (who i really admire and miss) said i looked much more rested. funny, my work day doesn't start much later now than it used to...

wine girl, welcome! i can't wait to read about your dorky adventures.
and feel free to join us in hula class. it's great fun. and harder than i ever could have imagined...

 
At 26 August, 2006 17:08, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

*cheering*
for the car
for you
for hula class

You deserve only good things, sister! Glad you're back!

 
At 26 August, 2006 18:24, Blogger terry said...

thanks, BG!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->