Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, August 06, 2006

I'm George Bailey...


...the richest (wo)man in town.

Puzzled? You need to rent "It's a Wonderful Life" immediately. I don't care that it's not Christmas, and that it's probably 99 degrees where you are. Watch it. NOW.

(And yeah, I cry at that part every single time. Harry Bailey's toast, and Clarence's final message to George: "Remember, no man is a failure who has friends.")

Anyway. I am referring to my now-former co-workers (but friends, always) who threw me a great farewell party last night. At one point, I stood there and looked around the room and was just stunned by the number of people who'd turned out and all the amazingly generous and kind things they said.

I mean... WOW. I still can't really absorb it all. And it was yet another reminder of how hard it will be not to see these fine folks every day.

And then Rebecca, Laura, Miss Cheese and I stayed up all night talking. I'm not kidding. We didn't leave Re's until after 5 a.m. What, do I think I'm still 21 or something??

So I'm not hungover from too much liquor, but not enough sleep...!

And tomorrow, the big new adventure begins. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit anxious. I feel a little like the new kid at school. But I mean that in a good way.

16
At 06 August, 2006 16:39, Blogger sassinak said...

good luck babe!

i think you'll do great and it's especially nice that you have this really positive sendoff from your former coworkers.

has to be good for the old ego!

 
At 06 August, 2006 16:42, Blogger Jon said...

I am sure they will be missed, but I bet you will be missed even more. It shows in how they have celebrated you.

I am still anxious as well. Maybe in a few days I can relax. Good luck tomorrow sweety!

 
At 06 August, 2006 16:43, Blogger Jon said...

y the way. I own It's a Wonderful Life.. and I cry at that point too

 
At 06 August, 2006 16:44, Blogger terry said...

thanks, sass...! yeah, the past few weeks have definitely been a major ego boost.

jon, good luck to you too! i know you have no reason to feel anxious.

 
At 06 August, 2006 16:45, Blogger terry said...

jon again, i actually cry BEFORE the words are actually spoken. THAT's how much of a dork i am...!

i love that movie.

 
At 06 August, 2006 16:54, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Hooray for good friends who know our worth! Staying out until 5am because you're surrounded by wonderful friends is much better than crawling-ass home drunk by yourself...or worse, with some cheap guy in tow.

Not that I would know of such things.

*silence*

Good DAMN luck tomorrow! What the heck are you wearing on your first day? Inquiring minds wanna know!

 
At 06 August, 2006 17:00, Blogger terry said...

buddhagirl, that made me snort.

and what's really funny is that i actually DON'T know of such things!! but that's another story.

what am i wearing? a favorite pair of black pants, with a favorite teal(ish) colored flyaway sweater over a tank top. nothing fancy, but it's comfy and flattering.

 
At 06 August, 2006 22:50, Blogger Laura said...

YOU WILL BE OKAY!!!!
I PROMISE!!!
I totally have anew post up.

 
At 07 August, 2006 06:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the first day, and so happy you had a great send-off party!

 
At 07 August, 2006 09:19, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

No need to rent it.

Just writing 'George Bailey' made the whole thing play on my mental TiVo.

I'm glad ya didn't need a suicidal moment to realize the value of friendship.

And I must say, I like your choice of flicks. (Your prize, btw, is a listing on my blogroll. Sorry I couldn't do more, but the lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni was already taken)

So how do you feel about Big Trouble in Little China?

Yeharr

 
At 07 August, 2006 13:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Trouble in Little China LOL omg...

Thats great about the party, My co workers will prolly throw one after i'm gone! "Ding dong the witch is dead!" *L*

So? How was it Boss Lady? I'll check back later! ;)

 
At 07 August, 2006 14:59, Blogger JMai said...

I hope you had a great day today! And I'm glad you had such a great party -- I'm not a bit surprised about the turnout :)

 
At 07 August, 2006 18:25, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

Good luck with the new job and congrats on the big raise. I'm sure you'll knock 'em dead and be taking over the place very soon..

 
At 07 August, 2006 19:38, Blogger terry said...

laura, thank you! i'll be sure to come check you out when i have a little more free time. and energy...

lil sis, thank you! it was a really great party.

bp, no need for rice a roni here. it IS the san francisco treat, after all. heh.
you know, i've never seen big trouble in little china. did i lose that prize?
and thanks for the link! you're very kind.

chrissie, i'd think YOU'D be the one throwing the big "i'm so out of here" party...!
today went well, but i'm so wiped i can barely think right now. more later this week...

jmai and reg, thank you so much for the kind words.

 
At 08 August, 2006 10:56, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i'm looking forward to the report on your first day!

 
At 25 August, 2006 21:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A successful person can be summed up in one word, friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->