Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, July 21, 2006

And the tide turns...

Remember all my disappointment last month about my job situation? When I didn't get the promotion I'd hoped for?

Well.

I've landed a bigger and better job with a different company. A competitor.

I will have my own office. With a door that closes. And my own parking spot. No more Muni commutes to work! And of course, more money. It's a significant raise for me.

Me, a manager...! Shocking, I know. My head's spinning a little. No, a lot.

Even moreso because yesterday, the day I gave my two weeks notice, turned out to be my last day at the place where I've worked for 19 years. Apparently, after the last departure for the competition (by the guy who is now my new boss!), there was some chatter among the highers-up outside our department about whether it was appropriate to let him continue working there after he'd signaled he was leaving.

So that's why they cut me loose at the end of the day yesterday. Which turned out to be one of the most surreal days of my life.

One minute I was giving notice, then a few hours later, I was finishing my last shift without knowing it. Without anyone knowing it, except my bosses.

The good thing is that I'll get paid for the next two weeks, and have more of a break between the old job and the new job than I'd planned.

But the bad thing is that I leave behind many dear friends and I'm very sad I won't be seeing them every day. I'm not so good with goodbyes, as I've already mentioned. I go back in on Tuesday for a little farewell party and to clear out my stuff. And to cry some more, because apparently I didn't do enough of that yesterday when people were saying really nice things about me.

The whole thing is bittersweet, but it's really great in the big picture. Really great. Really, really, fucking great.

Funny how life works.

16
At 22 July, 2006 11:52, Blogger Jon said...

Holy shit woman!!! That is sooooo awesome

CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At 22 July, 2006 12:02, Blogger terry said...

thank you, jon...!

i still can't quite wrap my mind around it all, but it's pretty cool.

 
At 22 July, 2006 17:39, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Holy crap on a stick!

I am so freaking proud of you. I am sitting here preening as if I gave birth to you. *snicker*

Two weeks off. Getting paid anyway. Rest and happiness before beginning your bigwig job. This means only one thing:

Shopping to decorate your OFFICE!!!! If ya like, I'll even mail ya a framed pic of Buddha for your desk!

Congrats!!

 
At 22 July, 2006 19:20, Blogger sassinak said...

yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! yes! yes!yes!yes!yes!yes!yes!yes!!!!!!!

but i'm not happy at all.

damm girl i knew you could do it and i'm so proud of you for knowing what you're worth and finding someone who agrees with you

damm!

i'm proud and delighted, congrats! :)

 
At 22 July, 2006 21:32, Blogger terry said...

thank you, jeannette. i'm not sure it took much courage, but it was definitely an obvious move, after what happened last month.

and can you believe i've worked for my old employer for nearly half my life???

bg, thank you! it's only a week and a half off, as my new boss is eager to get me started... but it's more than the couple of days i was going to get originally. and the shopping will have to wait until i get one of my new paychecks....! i might take you up on that offer of a buddha pic, though...

sass, thank you! i'm pretty amazed. stunned. it still hasn't sunk in.

and now i'm taking a little spontaneous overnight trip up to lake tahoe with a friend who needs to drive up there tomorrow to drop off her daughter at camp.

seems like cause for a snoopydance.

 
At 22 July, 2006 23:08, Blogger Jon said...

You've been tagged dear

 
At 23 July, 2006 02:43, Blogger DZER said...

Congratulations to you on the new job, the better job, the higher pay and everything.

It's always tough to leave good work friends behind, but I just know you will excel in the new job.

And ain't it weird when you give two weeks and they say, "Thanks. Now get out."? LOL

*happy smooches*

 
At 23 July, 2006 09:50, Blogger Angela said...

I can't believe YOU are management scum now! heh heh heh...

 
At 23 July, 2006 10:47, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

Way to score Terry!

(selish moment)
Now you can think of me toiling away in the gulag with NO ONE TO HELP ME RETAIN MY BARELY HANGING ON BY A THREAD SANITY!

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is possible, however, to be deliriously happy for the good fortunes of others even if they come at a cost to oneself. I know because I'm living proof! I AM SO HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY for you it's ridiculous! Hooray!! Isn't it great when something stupid happens (i.e. last month) the Universe makes up for it with something unbelievably better than what you had hoped for originally?

man!! I love it when that happens.

 
At 23 July, 2006 13:21, Blogger JMai said...

Oh Terry, that is so fantastic!!! I'm so happy for you... and even BETTER about the additional time off.

I know it must be so crazy to think about leaving a job you've been at for so many years, but I'm SURE you're not leaving those good relationships behind.

Onto bigger and better!! YAY YOU!

 
At 23 July, 2006 19:18, Blogger Jon said...

I think me and a bunch of your friends here predicted this was going to happen. I just want to say...


I TOLD YA SO!!!

 
At 24 July, 2006 00:32, Blogger sassinak said...

jon i think you're right

maybe terry will believe in herself a smidgen more now hmm? :)

 
At 24 July, 2006 16:09, Blogger Diva M. said...

Of course you got this job! I think everyone knew you would (except maybe, just maybe, you). Yippee!!!! They're lucky to have you.

Now if the universe would turn things around for us in the world of boys like it seems to in the world of careers, I think everything would be right in the world.

 
At 24 July, 2006 20:16, Blogger terry said...

dz, thank you so much...!
and the whole last day thing was SO weird. my bosses were trying so hard to make it clear that it had nothing to do with me... and it took a moment for me to grasp what they were telling me... but hey ! more time off! yay!

ang...i KNOW! i can't believe it either. scary, isn't it?? heh.

oh miss cheese, i so appreciate your pleasure at my uh.. fortune? whatever. and i don't think you know how much i'll miss seeing your lovely face every morning. seriously. you make the gulag less gulag-y.

jmai, thank you! i guess we're both onto new jobs now, eh?

jon, you're funny. and to you and miss sassyhair i will say... we all thought i was gonna get that other job... remember?? so... yeah. you never know. and you can't take anything for granted.

but... YAY...!


and sass, the one place i believe in myself more than others IS at work. in fact, i think i can annoy people with how much i believe in myself at work... AHEM.
but it's never clear if the people who make decisions believe in me, especially after what happened last month...

and now? i'm ready to prove myself in a new environment.

 
At 25 July, 2006 12:44, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

you rule!

i'm really happy for you

work it!!!

 
At 29 July, 2006 23:26, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Awesome!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->