Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Monday, July 17, 2006

I hate when that happens...

You know... when you have an important conversation, and later, you second-guess everything you said? And wish you'd said this thing or that thing?

I hate that.

The other thing I hate? People who use power tools early in the morning.

I have a couple of days off from work (and gosh, was my timing ever perfect -- we're having gooooorgeous weather) and was looking forward to sleeping in a bit (though anything after 4:30 or 5 a.m. constitutes "sleeping in" for me, during the week...) when I was awakened by the sound of some fucking obnoxiously loud saw-type device being used directly across from my bedroom window at 7:30 a.m.

I'm sorry, but that shit ain't right. 7:30? I could even see 8, as an early start.

But 7:30?? A.M.?? No.

Later, when I went for a walk and saw one of the workmen hosing down the sidewalk endlessly, I was tempted to go over and ask what the fuck was up... but then I thought I might be inviting an earlier start time tomorrow.

Although if they're making that much noise that early tomorrow morning, I might stomp out there in my pajamas, with bedhead and no makeup, and THEN they'll be sorry.

13
At 17 July, 2006 23:10, Blogger Michelle said...

I ALWAYS second guess conversations later. Is that more a woman thing maybe?? I think a lot of us do that. But I do it too and I also hate it!!!

We have a neighbor...I think we have talked to him ohh..ONCE the entire 2 years we have lived here. Every saturday morning before 8 am, without fail...that man is out there with is FREAKING basketball...shooting hoops. (our bedroom window is right by his driveway!) Not a HUGE deal..but the constant "thump, thump, thump....bang" is pretty loud when you are counting on sleeping in. Might not be a power tool...but I can relate!! lol

I hope you got to sleep in without power tools waking out up....uhhh...unless they are your own..*giggle*

 
At 18 July, 2006 08:27, Blogger DZER said...

lucky for me that I'm such a phlegmatic and lazy bastard that I can sleep through that kind of crap ... as long as my air con is working.

and yeah ... second-guessing in that situation sucks major ass.

also, I'm suddenly very interested in chelle's collection of power tools. Heh.

 
At 18 July, 2006 10:23, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Ugh. I LOATHE second-guessing myself. Try to stop the thinking even if it means downing a bottle of wine. (I'm a problem-solver. How do ya like me?)

As for the chain saw nightmare: I DARE YOU....no URGE YOU...to toddle out tomorrow morning if the same shitstorm occurs.

I'll even write a speech for you to recite if you like. I'll email it to you. Read it from a cue card. That'll fuck them up more than your in your jammies with bedhead.

I'm also thinking that if you do this after having consumed at least a bottle of wine tonight...ya know...hung over and all...the effect on those guys will be PRICELESS.

 
At 18 July, 2006 10:39, Blogger Suze said...

I hope you had a quieter start to your day today.

We are in the middle of a heatwave here and someone (I haven't found out who) is lighting fires at night when we NEED to have the windows open.

If I find out who it is they damn well better watch out!

 
At 18 July, 2006 11:16, Blogger Diva M. said...

One, stop second guessing yourself. You were great. That's not my opinion, it's a fact. So accept it, embrace it, and move on.

Second... um, not to defend the early morning power tools (or their loud mechanical saws), but could they maybe, possibly been instructed to use those saws early because of the Spare the Air Day? Not that it makes being awoken at 7:30 a.m. okay, but that's just a thought.

And hosing down the sidewalk is never acceptable. I don't know why people continue to do that.

 
At 18 July, 2006 13:10, Blogger terry said...

chelle, that is SO wrong. i'm impressed you haven't gone out and confiscated the guy's basketball.

dz, i can't seem to sleep through anything anymore... even WITH earplugs...!

bg, the second-guessing definitely sucks. but luckily, there was no loud sawing this morning. just some hammering, but that wasn't until after 9, which is more than acceptable. even though i wasn't interested in getting up then...!
and next time, i WILL have you write a speech for me!

suze, that sounds awful! it's hard enough to sleep when it's hot! it's also hard to imagine a heatwave in the u.k....

sassyhair, i hadn't even thought of spare the air. i was thinking more along the lines of spare the terry. it was weird, tho, as they stopped with the sawing well before "peak usage" hours. so who knows what they were up to.

and the sidewalk hosing went on far too long.

oh, and? i don't think i was great. really. but there's nothing i can do about it now.

 
At 18 July, 2006 18:17, Blogger JMai said...

God that drives me crazy, first thing in the morning, and it's always when you have the day off (of course it may be all the other days but you wouldn't really know since those are NOT your days off and only your days off count!)!

Also, the conversation thing? That happens to me all the time. although usually not during important conversations. Or perhaps I don't have many important conversations.

 
At 18 July, 2006 19:05, Blogger sassinak said...

i did that recently with a man i was into
and i was right to second guess because the flirt vibeis gone now.

*sigh*

 
At 19 July, 2006 14:59, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

we had a neighbour that loved to mow his lawn before he left for work on saturday - he started work at 7am...

as for the second guessing thing

it's not just a female thing

i do, however, banish it as quickly as possible

listen to music, do various tasks, play a computer game while listening to music

all of those things help me drown out the reviewer in my head

 
At 19 July, 2006 16:55, Blogger terry said...

jmai, EXACTLY. my days off are precious. and no one should disturb my sleep. EVER.

and i'll bet you have plenty of important conversations. i'm guessing you say the right thing, though, as opposed to ol' dorky mcdorkerson here.

sass, i second guess with fellas ALL the time. and where does the flirt vibe go??

cad, you're to be commended for not shooting the early-morning mower. i'd have had to kill him.

and it's good to know the second-guessing affects men, too. luckily, in my case, it appears all is not lost... so we'll see.

cryptic, no?

heh.

 
At 19 July, 2006 20:08, Blogger sassinak said...

cryptic bitch! :)

also? my post of today covers where the flirt went maybe...

 
At 20 July, 2006 13:41, Blogger terry said...

sass... heh.

and i'm on my way to sassland now!

 
At 20 July, 2006 19:25, Blogger SignGurl said...

So, did you get to sleep in?

I hate when people do shit before 8 am or after 10 pm. It's just rude.

If I were you, I'd take Buddha Girl up on the speech. I'm sure it would be entertaining.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->