Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, July 07, 2006

I'm back, baby!



In dance class, that is.

My friend Rebecca, her daughter Laura and I started hula class last night.

And soon, we will all have killer quads, from all the squatting!

Holy crap, that was a million times more challenging than I expected. And I can't remember the last time I've felt so uncoordinated -- maybe when I first started Pilates -- but rarely in a dance class. This is an entirely different style of dance than I'm used to.

I was drenched by the end (I had to turn on my defroster on the drive home, I was so sweaty) and my legs felt like rubber... but it felt great.

It was also really cool to see the diversity in the room. There were dozens of people there -- maybe close to 100, because this teacher (I mean, Kumu....see, I'm learning....!) doesn't do beginner's classes very often -- so there was pent-up demand. And there were people from all walks of life. Older, younger, lighter, darker, bigger, smaller. Men and women. All very friendly.

Not only can I not wait until next week's class, I'm definitely more motivated to get back into regular workout mode, so the class doesn't completely kick my ass again.

14
At 07 July, 2006 10:08, Blogger DZER said...

hula lessons? well, I hope you get lei'd!

heh

 
At 07 July, 2006 10:22, Blogger terry said...

oh... dzer... NO... you DIDN'T....!


;)

 
At 07 July, 2006 12:35, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

getting lei'd is one thing

just make sure you don't get hooped...

 
At 07 July, 2006 14:01, Blogger terry said...

hooped?

cadbury, dare i ask?


oh. HULA HOOP!

hahahahaha.

(sorry, i'm slower on the uptake than usual today, because i was out so late at that class!)

 
At 07 July, 2006 15:13, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Ooooooh hula class! Sounds like a ton of fun! What about pics from the class? Huh huh? Gimme something!

 
At 07 July, 2006 18:33, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

That is so cool!

 
At 07 July, 2006 20:26, Blogger DZER said...

hey ... someone had to say it ;)

 
At 07 July, 2006 22:44, Blogger terry said...

buddhagirl, we were so busy with the concentrating and the squatting (ha'a, to be specific..!) that there were no photos. and there won't be any, if i have anything to do with it...! it really is a fun class.

nomadshan, it's very cool. and we're also learning the language, and the culture. it's great.

dzer, the truth is... i could use a good lei!

 
At 07 July, 2006 23:25, Blogger sassinak said...

terry that sounds like a great time, i'm really glad y'all are doing it!

 
At 08 July, 2006 10:58, Blogger JMai said...

I am so awesomely proud of you for doing this!! Not sure why pride is the overwhelming emotion... but it just is! That sounds like so much fun.. I've always wanted to take a belly dancing class but I'm too shy/embarrassed. Enjoy your classes!

 
At 08 July, 2006 11:11, Blogger terry said...

sass, it really was a great time. i'm glad we're doing it too! i'm so happy to be in a dance class again.

jmai, you're so cute. i know, it's about time i stepped outside my rut a little.
and i think you SHOULD take a belly dancing class! we were going to try that, too, but life kept getting in the way. the one thing our teacher (i mean, kumu) kept saying the other night was a hawaiian phrase that mean "don't be embarassed."

just dance.

 
At 10 July, 2006 20:35, Blogger Laura said...

oh man
this thursday!
im excited, though
hula is the best dance out there
well and tahitian.
we are gonna have the best legs by the end of this class! haha

 
At 11 July, 2006 13:56, Blogger terry said...

laura, my muscles finally stopped feeling sore on monday. MONDAY!

man, i'm old. and out of shape.

 
At 13 July, 2006 13:37, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

damn - meant to get back sooner

circumstances having been what they were

i arrived back to this set of comments today

play on words:

hula hoop and "hooped" is a vernacular in my neck of the woods, eg:

1. hooped (Verb)

A term for the anal ringpiece - Hoop - is often made into a verb to form Hooped.
This refers to taking a beating of somekind, or being busy in the workplace.


an example of the usage might be something like "Man, I got hooped by the dealership service centre on my car repairs"

or

"Jeez!!! I forgot to call [name here] back. I'm so hooped"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->