Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, June 23, 2006

On to more pleasant subjects...

So, yeah... despite my extreme exhaustion and fragile emotional state, I DID drag my ass over to Berkeley last Friday evening, to spend a little quality time with Anthony Bourdain and a few hundred other people.

First, though, I got to spend a little time with the lovely Miss Angela and the extraordinarily adorable Luke. Seriously, go click over there and check out the little guy. And that was just what the doctor ordered to lift my mood a bit.

Now, the bookstore where the reading took place is surrounded by really cool shops. Like a MAC store. Bare Escentuals. Restoration Hardware. And a Crate and Barrel OUTLET. Not to mention, I can easily spend hours (and too much money) in a bookstore.

In other words, it's a danger zone for someone who's feeling pissy and enjoys a little retail therapy.

Or a lot of retail therapy.

I was good, though. I bought a new cocktail shaker, which, as you know, I desperately needed. And some lipglass. Which I always need. But that was it.

I got to the bookstore about 45 minutes before the reading was to begin, and all the seats they'd set out were already taken. So I bought my book and high-tailed it over to one of the few places left to sit -- a window ledge -- and watched the crowd get larger by the second.

By the time the thing started, the place was jam-packed. And since it was a very warm day, it was about a thousand degrees in the bookstore, which, like many places close to the bay, had no air conditioning. So I might not have had a case of the uglies, but I definitely had a case of the sweaties.

It's a good thing he was entertaining. He read a short piece from his new book, and then spent about 45 minutes answering questions. He's very much the same in person as he is on TV, only even better-looking. Yum.

The only question he wouldn't answer was whether he was married or dating someone. Funny.

And yes, because I knew some of you (yes, you, BuddhaGirl!) would never speak to me again if I didn't, I stood in a hot, long-ass line to get my book signed. (I keep trying to post the picture of that page, but fucking Blogger won't fucking let me...!!)
He was very gracious and signed countless books and allowed countless people to take pictures with him. (No, I was not one of them.)

He was a delightful diversion after a very long and taxing week. And I still have a crush on him.

Oh. The book's good, too...!

(And yes, I'm in much better spirits now. I think my mourning period was extended in part because I couldn't share it with most people for awhile. As I said in my last post.. onward and hopefully, upward...)

12
At 23 June, 2006 17:39, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

*stuttering* Y..Y...Y...YOU SPPPPPP....SPPPPP....SPOKE..to HIMMMMMMMMM.

Christ on a Christmas cross. As I live and breathe, you are my hero! I'm so glad you shlepped yourself to the bookstore and perched your ass in a window to see THE MAN.

*sigh* I'm sooooo living vicariously through you at this very moment.

(Not to mention that I, too, could cause the earth to tilt off its axis if I EVER found myself near a MAC store AND a Crate and Barrel FREAKING OUTLET at the same time. Dear God.)

 
At 23 June, 2006 17:58, Blogger terry said...

BG, would you hate me if i told you i had his cell phone number?

NO! IT'S NOTHING LIKE THAT!

once i found out he was in town, i managed to set up a phone interview with him, which i eventually had to cancel because of breaking news... but i've been laughing about the fact that i. have. it.

i have not used it. promise.

and i swear, i was thinking of you while i was at that reading.

when you come visit -- and you will, one day -- we're so going shopping.

 
At 23 June, 2006 20:18, Blogger sassinak said...

i love that you have his number

SO funny

i'm glad you went, i think it was really good for you. mmmmmmm MAC rocks

 
At 23 June, 2006 21:37, Blogger JMai said...

Sounds like a fun evening -- even if you did have the sweaties (I hate that!)

And kudos to you for not getting lost in the Crate & Barrel outlet. I discovered that the outlet mall near my house opened a little promenade of high-end outlet stores... one of which is a HUGE Crate & Barrel. I have yet to go but I'm sure it'll be better for my pocketbook if I steer clear for a while.

I hope they had the colours of lipglass that you were looking for last week!

 
At 24 June, 2006 07:19, Blogger DZER said...

congrats to you on meeting the bourdain boy ... I say get toasted on some cocktails and drunk dial his ass! LOL

lipglass?

 
At 24 June, 2006 07:57, Blogger Michelle said...

Ummm I dunno who he is.....but I am hella excited that you bought a new cocktail shaker....lol

I so need to get out more....lol

 
At 24 June, 2006 09:42, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

*screeching*
WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT..??????

FUCKING PHONE NUMBER??????

I'm going to need therapy for this. You'd better drink a few drinkies for me. *sigh*

 
At 24 June, 2006 10:51, Blogger terry said...

sass, i couldn't believe how quickly his publisher gave up the digits. then again, i am a professional and would neeeeevvvvver take advantage of that.

no, really.

but it was fun to entertain the thought...

jmai, the prices at the crate and barrel outlet are incredibly low. i almost bought a set of new juice glasses, as i need some, but decided i didn't want to lug them around in the heat. i'll go back and go nuts, though. so be prepared when you go!

dzer, would that not be funny? to get some random call from some random drunk woman that you don't know?
still... not.. gonna.... do it.

and lipglass is just MAC's name for its lipgloss. it's really great stuff.

chelle, i can't remember when i wrote about tony boy, but his mug is somewhere on this blog this month....
he's the author of "kitchen confidential," among other books, and hosts a great show on the travel channel.
and he's yummy in an offbeat kinda way.

buddha girl, i thought you'd like that...! still, really, what am i doing to do with it?
nothing.
because i am a professional.
or something.

 
At 25 June, 2006 23:43, Blogger Jon said...

I am so with DZER on this

 
At 26 June, 2006 16:54, Blogger Laura said...

terry!!
its laura rebecca's daughter
and i got a blog!
check it out!
bye now

 
At 26 June, 2006 17:16, Blogger sassinak said...

sucks being a professional doesn't it?

 
At 26 June, 2006 20:32, Blogger terry said...

jon, you want me to drunk dial him??? a total stranger??

nuh uh.

laura!! i can't wait to check it out! nice pic there...!

sass, you have NO idea...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->