Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, July 14, 2006

How do you say...

..."Oh my God, my calves are on fire?" in Hawaiian?

"Uwehe."

Okay, that's not a literal translation. It's the name of one of the new steps we learned in hula class this week, and OH. MY. GOD.

Let me see if I can describe it to you, so that you can fully appreciate what we did. You start in that sort of squatting position I referred to last week (it's called "ha'a") -- it's like a plie, only your feet aren't turned out as much and your knees go straight, and NOT over your feet.

Then you lift one foot, slightly, put it down, then pop your knees out. Repeat on the other side. Don't come out of ha'a. And oh, yeah, don't forget about your hips, which are supposed to move in opposition to your feet.

And when you do it over and over and and over and over over again, in combination with the other step you do in ha'a (that's called "hela")...HOLY SHIT. I thought my calves were going to explode at one point, and I was, again, soaking wet by the end of class.

But I'm loving it. I can't quite describe the feeling I get when I've mastered a step in any style of dance, when it becomes part of my muscle memory, and I can just do it and make it mine without any real thought. I'm nowhere near that yet with anything we've learned, but I love the process. I love moving to music, even though all we're dancing to right now is the ipu heke (it's a double gourd that's used as percussion). And even that is really cool.
(And thank you, Rebecca, for spelling out all these words for our own little glossary!)

I'm so glad we're taking this class. I don't even care that I'm tired on Friday. I'm tired on Fridays no matter what, and this is a really good reason to be tired.

And last night, I ran into a woman in class I knew 100 million years ago in San Diego! I haven't seen her in, I think, 21 years. Wild that she recognized me, even though she didn't remember at first how we knew each other. Small world.

Happy Friday!

10
At 14 July, 2006 20:32, Blogger JMai said...

Who knew there was so much movement going on under those grass skirts? Hm!

Glad you're having fun. I hope you're enjoying a post-hula cocktail and having a happy Friday night.. the perfect preamble to a relaxing weekend all to yourself, to spend however pleases you most.

Aloha!

 
At 14 July, 2006 20:33, Blogger JMai said...

Also? Hehe... -does the first comment hula dance- ...No uwehe involved.

 
At 14 July, 2006 20:36, Blogger terry said...

jmai, i had NO idea there was so much going on. and that it required so much precision.
color me stupid.

you can do the first comment kaholo, which is much simpler, in that no squatting is required....!

 
At 14 July, 2006 23:59, Blogger Michelle said...

Wow..I think I need to find out if they offer those classes her ein Detroit....but umm..somhow I'm thinking NOT.....lol

Glad you are enjoying it so much!!

 
At 15 July, 2006 00:01, Blogger sassinak said...

what chelle said, that sounds like wicked awesome fun

and your teacher sounds great if that's how you're feeling.

props!

 
At 15 July, 2006 07:20, Blogger Jon said...

Can I be your towel "man" and wipe the sweat from your whole body. Geez, just writing that turned me on.

 
At 15 July, 2006 17:18, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

HOly christmas! I'm so glad you're loving this hula class. And wowie to Jon for making that hottie comment. I'm fighting the urge to comb the summer beach towel sales for a Hawaiin themed one so he can wipe you down in style! Ha!

Keep up the good work, sister! I'm sticking with Pilates for now.

 
At 15 July, 2006 20:38, Blogger terry said...

qchelle, i'll bet there are hula classes there. do it! do it!

sass, he really is a great teacher. and he makes it look so damned easy. at one point, he was uwehe'ing, and traveling. we couldn't believe it.

jon!!! you perv. that's hilarious. i don't think you'd want to get near me after this class. talk about rank...

bg, i soooo miss pilates! i keep thinking that if i'd been able to keep doing that, the squatting etc. wouldn't be quite so challenging. oh well...

 
At 16 July, 2006 11:50, Blogger sassinak said...

you remember more than you think you do

 
At 16 July, 2006 11:57, Blogger terry said...

sass, you mean about the pilates? it's funny, i DO feel some of those muscles waking up again, after just two classes. my glutes have already responded a bit(and not just in pain).

with any luck, i'll be back to pilates soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->