Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, August 11, 2006

Meme-ing under the influence...

So, I can't really think straight, as I'm pretty wiped from this week... and also because I've chosen to crack open the yummy bottle of sparkling wine I received as a gift from a good friend last weekend (and by the way, Tom, I've already dipped into that amazing tequila you gave me ... and it is AMAZING!)... so here's another fun meme, since I was tagged by her Shrewness...


2 moments in your life you'd like to erase:
*The moment I said "I do"
But here's the thing: the wedding was just about everything I wanted. It's not every day that you're surrounded by so many people you love. It's the marriage that was a mistake. (And if you're new to this tale, you'll find more info here and here.)
* The first time I bought into the notion that I was fat and ugly. Because I wasn't.

4 moments you'd like to relive:
Wow... this is really hard...

*The first time I realized the man I loved, loved me too. Unfortunately, it involved the assclown in the tales mentioned above, so... hmmm...maybe not...
*The night I saw "Spamalot," with the original cast (Tim Curry! Hank Azaria! David Hyde Pierce! Sara Ramirez!) See, "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is one of my favorite movies of all time, so I went into this with very high expectations. The musical more than exceeded them. Best show EVER (and I've been lucky enough to see many shows). Then I took myself out for a cocktail at the Algonquin Hotel, and pretended I was half as clever as Dorothy Parker. A magical NYC evening, all by myself.
*The moment Dave Matthews winked at me, when he passed by me while leaving a studio. I swear, I didn't make this up.
*Much of my early childhood, so I could find my own memories of my Dad again... and not the tales others have told me.

2 places you wouldn't want go to/go to again:
*Depression-ville.
*Iraq. (No, I've never been there. I would never want to go there.)

4 places you can't wait to visit/visit again
*Europe
*Australia
*New York City
*Love

2 foods you can't stand:
*Tomatoes. Tomato sauce, fine. Ketchup, okay. Pure, unadulterated tomatoes? Eeeuw.
* Cilantro. Ick. A friend just told me there's a genetic component to how we taste cilantro. I have the gene that makes that shit taste like the nastiest soap ever.

4 foods you love:
*Chocolate
*Chocolate
*Chocolate
*Salmon

2 current songs that make you change the station:
*Okay, it's not that current, but that fucking Hoobastank song... "The Reason?" Is that what it's called? Is that even the right artist?? I hate it so much, I don't care. Not gonna look it up.
*"Crazy," Gnarls Barkley. I loved it at first. Now, I'm done. (I do, however, enjoy their Violent Femmes cover...)

4 current songs you play over and over:
*"Put Your Records On," Corinne Bailey Rae. Love it. Love her.
*"Over My Head (Cable Car)," The Fray. Who are these guys? I don't know anything about them. But I love their CD.
*"Unwritten," Natasha Bedingfield. I know... it's two years old. It's all over the radio now, though. It's cheesy. But I found it to be really inspirational when I was in the middle of all that job angst. I kept thinking it was a sign, since it seemed like it was on the radio every time I turned it on... and every time I walked into the hallway at my old job. Coincidence? I chose to think not...

"Reaching
For something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is
Where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten..."

It's even on my iPod. Yeah, it's like a teenaged girl's journal entry. So shoot me.
*"DOA," Foo Fighters. The song just kicks ass.


2 books you'd never finish/read again:
*"Interview With the Vampire," Anne Rice. I've tried reading this many times since it first came out eons ago. And I've never been able to finish it.
*Just about anything by Earnest Hemingway. At least, everything of his I had to read in high school and college.

4 books you have read more than once, and/or will read again:
*"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," Dave Eggers. And not just because he lives in my fine city.
*"Running With Scissors," Augusten Burroughs. As a friend said, it's twisted. And I mean that in a good way. Hope the movie's good...
*"Me Talk Pretty One Day," David Sedaris. I heart him. I wonder who I lent this book to...because I really WOULD like to read it again.
*"Little Women," Louisa May Alcott. It's a classic. Need I say more?


Now I need to tag 2-4 people.
Dzer
Buddha Girl
Jmai
Natalia
And anyone else who'd like to take this on! I recommend doing it sober, though...



13
At 12 August, 2006 02:41, Blogger The Savage said...

Yeah.. it's "The Reason"

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberry.... (now that I know what elderberry smells like.... yeah that is so an insult)

(My fave Holy Grail line) Look! it's the old man from scene 24....

Silly English Ka-nig-hits!!!!

 
At 12 August, 2006 04:35, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

The three chocolates--milk, dark, and white, or do you not delinate that finely?

Yeharr

 
At 12 August, 2006 07:42, Blogger DZER said...

chocolate-covered salmon? LOL

and so when love comes to town, you're gonna jump that train?

and thanks for the tag ... I had nothing to post today otherwise! LOL

 
At 12 August, 2006 09:54, Blogger terry said...

savage, i get a headache just thinking about that song.
and i can't think of a favorite line from the movie... because i love so many lines from it! you could tell who all the movie freaks were, the night i saw the play, as we were the ones giggling and clapping at the BEGINNING of many scenes.

pirate, i'm fondest of milk, then dark... but as long as it's good, i don't care. just give me chocolate!

dzer, i hadn't thought of that... hmm. wonder if that might not be as gross as it sounds.
when (or more likely, IF) love comes to town, i'll be jumping something...
and glad to be of service!

 
At 12 August, 2006 11:34, Blogger JMai said...

First, THANK YOU, fellow Hemingway hater! Who decided that guy was talented? Ugh.

Second, yay tag! I love being tagged!!

And I heart David Sedaris too. I've only read Me talk Pretty but I've been meaning to get my hands on the others, although I heard the Dress in Corduroy (or something along those lines) wasn't very good.

 
At 12 August, 2006 15:05, Blogger terry said...

yeah, i kept wondering why i was supposed to like hemingway... because i hated what i read.

as for mr. sedaris, "dress" is actually really good. "naked" i didn't like so much. and one of my friends says the audio version of "holidays on ice" is a must-listen, but i keep forgetting to get it.

 
At 12 August, 2006 17:01, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Yo yo, I'm gonna do this meme...just trying to find the words for each little thingy.

I'm with you all the way on Sedaris. I recently read Me Talk Pretty One Day and handed it off to Lil Sis a couple of weeks ago. I try to keep deadly track of my books when I lend them out because I'm a rereader...big time. I'm asking for Holidays on Ice for Christmas. If HG is stumped...and doesn't adhere to my list, he will be publicly flogged. And I WILL take pics!

 
At 12 August, 2006 21:34, Blogger DZER said...

Terry hates Hemmingway. Hated him with a passion. A passion that was burning and deep. A passion that was never ending.

JMai also hates Hemmingway. Everything he wrote, she despises. Who decided he was talented, she demands.

LOL

 
At 13 August, 2006 04:08, Blogger Laura said...

I LOVE that natasha bedingfield song. I love to sing it, it feels me with optimism. i also love the fray. Cable cvar is my favorite song, a lot of their songs are pretty great. Do you like snow patrol?
Tomato sauce- I can handle
ketchup- I will eat it
TOMATOES- EWWWW!!!!! i HATE raw tomatoes. they make me want to cry.

 
At 13 August, 2006 08:56, Blogger Jon said...

I feel the same way about tomatoes. People make me out to be strange because I'll eat a shit load of salsa, but I always order sandwiches sans maters.

 
At 13 August, 2006 09:01, Blogger Natalia said...

Yaay tag! Also, I love "Unwritten." I don't care if it's a pop song and people think it's for the money. It is an uplifting song and it makes me feel good and remember every second is a chance to turn it all around and make better decisions.

And, also, dude, love the Bush countdown :)

-N

 
At 13 August, 2006 09:24, Blogger terry said...

buddhagirl, i hope your christmas wish is fulfilled... because as much as i enjoy your photos, i'd hate to see HG get flogged..!

dzer, THAT is hilarious. i'd much rather read you than him any day.

laura, i'm not sure i've heard snow patrol....
and i didn't know you were a tomato hater too! mater haters unite!

jon, i have to sort of dip to get the salsa juice -- or essence, if you will -- on my chips....to avoid those nasty tomato chunks. ick. it's a texture thing. there are a lot of foods i don't like because of their texture.

nat, is IS an uplifting song. and i was hearing it so often when i was in crisis that i decided it was a sign. yeah, i'm weird that way...
i love the bush countdown clock, too. wish there was no need for it to exist, though...

 
At 15 August, 2006 11:14, Blogger the shrewness said...

great answers, terry!

ive read the dave eggers book and love it too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->