Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New job haiku...

uh, i spoke too soon
my sleeping troubles are back
can't shut my mind off
I know that will stop soon, once I get more settled in... but DAMN. Had to go in verrrrry early this morning, and was exhausted when I went to bed last night... but still couldn't sleep. Got about three hours before the alarm went off. About 4 the night before that, and maybe 5 the night before that.
I can't even see straight right now.
Nighty-night.

20
At 09 August, 2006 15:12, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

hey - i'm waking up at 5-5:15 every morning myself too (that'd be about 3 am your time so its not telepathic...)

i feel for you - or maybe yawn for you - or with you

a nap sounds like what's needed

hope you get more sleep soon

 
At 09 August, 2006 16:13, Blogger SignGurl said...

I hate when you start something new and your mind works all night.

I hope you get some rest.

 
At 09 August, 2006 17:38, Blogger JMai said...

Your brain's on overload, Terry. I know that feeling.

I hope you get some much-needed rest this weekend... see now, that's the perfect excuse for last week's vegging! Resting up for the lightning round you knew this week would be!

 
At 09 August, 2006 18:28, Blogger Jon said...

Getting back into the swing of things is tough for me as well.

While unemployed I stayed up really late and slept in just as late. Now I have to get up at 5:30 on the weeks I have the kids just to get to the office before 8:30. I must stop staying up late.

 
At 09 August, 2006 19:21, Blogger terry said...

funny, cad, i got up at 3 this morning!
and i spent 8 1/2 years starting my workday at 3am, so here's hoping i never have to do THAT again.

sg, why can't we make our minds shut up?? none of my usual techniques are working right now. i guess it will just take time.

jmai, TOTAL overload. and another friend of mine used that 6 month benchmark that you referred to in your last comment -- that it takes at least that long to really get into the swing of a new job.
i'll say this -- the week has certainly flown by!

jon, i was actually doing an okay job of maintaining a decent sleep schedule, with some big exceptions... like that all-nighter...! i just can't get my mind to quiet down so i can nod off.
i can't wait to hear more about your new job...

 
At 09 August, 2006 19:53, Blogger sassinak said...

well, as first weeks go i can think of worse traumas than not sleeping... but that one is pretty high on the list!

g'luck babe, hope the brain shuts off soon... (this is where having a crush is handy, you descend into fantasy land...)

 
At 09 August, 2006 20:10, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Sleep will come. I've already dosed my (positive) Terry Voo Doo Doll with some valerian. Sleep will find you.

In the meantime, try some deep breathing. If there's time, yoga, pilates, or some hula!!!

Again, I am SO proud of you!!!

 
At 09 August, 2006 21:10, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

Do you ever watch "House, MD" on Fox? (Hugh Laurie is hot) Maybe you have the plague.

 
At 09 August, 2006 21:18, Blogger terry said...

sass, i'm cracking up because... uh... should i admit this? oh fuck it. i've tried a couple of times this week to take myself into fantasy-land, as a relaxing distraction. not with a real world crush...but a celebrity crush.

it didn't work.

and now i've just exposed more dorkage to all of you!!

bg, you're so sweet. i'm so tickled to have made you proud.

and since i'm making more money... I GET TO GO BACK TO PILATES!!! not this week... and in fact, it might be a month or so before i can get my new routine down... but i'm going to start pilates again. i'm so thrilled.

that will help with ALL things.

reg, i've only seen house once, which is absurd, as i think hugh laurie is hot too... but i laughed at what your wrote anyway.

 
At 09 August, 2006 21:35, Blogger sassinak said...

dude you get to go back to pilates? that's so awesome i don't have words. i wonder who you'll get as a teacher :)

dude i don't even mean that... just start daydreaming and let it go. that doesn't always work. did i tell you my animal trick that helps sometimes?

house rocks, he's hot AND acerbic! (and sooo smart)

 
At 09 August, 2006 22:07, Blogger Natalia said...

Boy do I ever feel you on this! My mind cannot shut off. As I was saying on Jen
s blog...looky..it's 1 AM and I am up and working.

-N

 
At 09 August, 2006 22:07, Blogger terry said...

sass, i can't even tell you how happy i am about the idea. i've SO missed pilates.

and one of my old instructors (not the one you know) has her own studio now, so i'm going to go there. i ran into her at a grocery store recently and told her, if i ever get a job that pays more, i'm coming to you.

one self-fulfilling prophecy i can live with!

yeah, i think i've just got too much swirling for the daydreaming to be effective. but i'll keep trying. what's your animal trick?

 
At 09 August, 2006 22:09, Blogger terry said...

oh, nat, no!

all the "experts" say that when you're having trouble sleeping, you should get out of bed and do something else, but not watch TV or get on the computer.

i'm not only on my computer, but my TV's on too.

oops.

hope you get to sleep soon!

 
At 10 August, 2006 00:14, Blogger DZER said...

sleep, oh san franciscan
rest those pretty sexy eyes
and waken refreshed

 
At 10 August, 2006 16:05, Blogger SignGurl said...

LMAO at the "dorkage" you let slip. You crack me up!

 
At 10 August, 2006 18:57, Blogger terry said...

nice haiku, dzer! i especially enjoy compliments. *bats eyelashes* (which, yes, are coated in chemicals!!)

signgurl, if i didn't have a fantasy life... i wouldn't have much life at all...!

 
At 11 August, 2006 13:56, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didja try the whole "guy thing" of an orgasm = instant sleep? *L* I sometimes try that if i'm desperate.

Jobs going well then??

 
At 11 August, 2006 19:03, Blogger terry said...

CHRISSIE!!!

 
At 11 August, 2006 20:17, Blogger The Savage said...

I'm used to 4 to 6 hours a night.. I get to sleep in on Sundays.. so I get 5 to 7 then... lol

 
At 11 August, 2006 20:59, Blogger terry said...

savage, that sounds very familiar..! but it's aging me. and i want that to stop.

aren't you tired?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->