Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, August 13, 2006

A whirlwind week...

...but a good one.

I really did feel like the new kid in school on Monday, and had to laugh when I was shown my new office. I've never had an office. Ever. I've always worked in a room where we each claimed our own spots during our shifts, and some were assigned, but the workstations there are shared.

I can actually leave things on my desk now, when I go home for the day.

I HAVE my own desk now.

I will not find foreign, rotting foodstuffs on the keyboard when I come in in the morning.

I can (omigod!) put up pictures, if I want.

Some people I dealt with frequently in my old job sent me a gorgeous orchid to brighten up my new space, and it made me so happy. A living thing! On MY desk! In MY office!

And from my office, I can see out the floor-to-ceiling windows that run along the side of the larger room outside the office (there's even a long deck out there, with a nice view)... and see the world outside! And I can also see my old office building. I told you my old and new employers are about a block apart, right?

I even saw my former boss when I was out foraging for lunch on Friday. He was a block away, and I didn't feel like shouting to get his attention, but I cracked up.

That's another thing -- lunch. I can go out to lunch now. When other people go out to lunch. I could have gone out to lunch at my old job, but who eats lunch at 10 a.m.? Not to mention, finances have been really tight, so I have been in the habit of bringing my lunch to work every day.

I've even found a place with very cheap sushi. It was yummy, too.

I got to have lunch last week with the delightful Misses Cheese and Angela (and young Luke, natch) at the place Miss Cheese and I have now dubbed The Taint, because it's right in between both workplaces. It's making the transition a little easier, knowing that I CAN see my pals, even if it's not every day.

Everyone at my new place of employment has been tremendously welcoming and helpful, so the honeymoon is off to a good start. They're a smart and talented bunch. It would appear that I've already managed to intimidate one of my new co-workers, and that is surreal...because, as we all know, I am a major dork.

But a dork with some skills. And I know what I do well.

I have a bunch of administrative stuff to learn, and it's challenging because my boss -- let's call him D -- has only been there for a few months himself, and my predecessor left about a month into his tenure, so even D doesn't know a lot of these things. Fortunately, my predecessor kept very detailed files on everything, so it's just a matter of digging for the info. And all that detailed filing is providing for some interesting reading...

It's weird not being such a slave to the clock. It's weird walking in the door and NOT facing a deadline a half-hour later. It's weird handling what I've been doing all these years in a completely different manner. It's weird answering the phone and trying to remember to say the correct company name. (I haven't screwed that up yet, but I will...)

But so far, the weird is good.

13
At 13 August, 2006 17:07, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

The Taint? *howling*

That is some classic stuff! LOVE the name. Can't wait to share it with HG.

I love that you're not in a place where deadlines don't rule the day and you're appreciated for your knowledge and leadership. Good times!

 
At 13 August, 2006 17:49, Blogger JMai said...

Ahaha... when I pick up the phone I just say my full name. I figure if you've gotten to my extension, you better know who you're dealing with. And I don't do transfers or "will you just run down the hall and see if...?" No, I will not. Dial the right extension, or call the main number and go through the directory!

Sounds like you're off to a banging start and I'm so glad that you sound so HAPPY. Everyone deserves to be happy at their jobs. Have a wonderful 2d week!

 
At 13 August, 2006 19:31, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Congratulations on the new work. Glad it's going well.

Hard to comment further since I have no frickin' idea what you do.

I can guess, tho...


Yeharr

 
At 13 August, 2006 20:35, Blogger terry said...

thanks, jeannette, for all you support...!

buddhagirl, you should have heard the actual "tainting" conversation. we were howling. this is why i miss seeing her cheesiness every day!

jmai, that's funny. it's just that i sometimes answer a more general phone, and not just the one in my office... and that's when i need to remember where the hell i work.

balloon pirate, go ahead! guess!
(i'm vague on purpose. trying to avoid even the slightest possibility of getting dooced...)

 
At 14 August, 2006 06:07, Blogger Natalia said...

Ahhh settling in is always weird and fun at the same time. Each new place of work is a new chance for a fresh start. And a chance to get the office politics right. And I don't mean butt snorkeling... I mean a chance not to get involved in any office mess, etc.

Woohoo for the office. I share a huge cubicle with 4 other people. It's great because we all get along and we get involved in banter and what not. But yes offices are nice.

I hope it all works out just as you want it.

-N

 
At 14 August, 2006 06:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Terry! the Taint is hilarious! glad the first week started off well and you're settling in, I didn't realize you actually "shared" a desk before, i cannot imagine that AT ALL!


Hope week 2 is great too*smile and hugs*

-lil'sis

 
At 14 August, 2006 07:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for ya! I'm glad you were welcomed there! Its hard taking someone elses place... You never know if someone within had their eye on your job or what... you are lucky! ;)

 
At 14 August, 2006 07:59, Blogger SignGurl said...

Life is Good!

 
At 14 August, 2006 08:48, Blogger DZER said...

LMFAO @ the Taint! That's hilarious!!

And I knew you'd shine at the new job ... *smooches*

 
At 14 August, 2006 11:49, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

'Dooced?'
Oh, you west coast playas have a language all your own

I love challenges, so here goes:

Daily deadlines are a news phenomenon. Having to meet one half an hour after coming to work suggests a medium that is relatively instantaneous. So newspaper is out.

Having a set deadline tells me it's not specifically web-based, where updates happen when they happen.

Leaving TV or radio.

You could work in either, but I've found that the dorks tend to gravitate towards the visual, and the nerds head to audio. At least that's how it is 'round here.

So, if I were to guess, I would say you've gone from a Producer's position at a 24-hour news station to a similar position at, say, a weekly newsmagazine program, either on a different network, or perhaps in syndication.

And I would guess you work on Battery Street.

How'd I do?

Yeharr

 
At 14 August, 2006 14:25, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i am thrilled to hear about your new job

having your own desk is a good thing

i had one workplace with shared workstations and that drove me nuts

i hope that you find really solid footing on your career path - and it sounds like it's off to a good start

 
At 14 August, 2006 21:47, Blogger Jon said...

I am so happy for you. "The Taint" totally cracked me up.

 
At 18 August, 2006 14:09, Blogger terry said...

glad you're all cracking up over the taint...

some people i know didn't get it!

pirate, you're pretty smart. and you're close, but not quite.

and i USED to work on battery street...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->