Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, August 27, 2006

My first...


You already know that I have too many celebrity crushes (hey, let's face it... they're more fun than any I've had in real life recently. In fact, I haven't HAD any in real life recently...but that's another post altogether).

And it all started long, long ago with a certain fella with feathered hair and a lovely singing voice. I am, of course, referring to David Cassidy.

The alarming thing about that crush is how young I was when I had it. I must have been about 6 when it started. Doesn't that seem awfully young?? He was so pretty, though...

Anyway. I remember what a thrill it was when "The Partridge Family" was on TV each week. I remember the first time I had strep throat and was laid up in bed, my dad, the strict military guy, uncharacteristically bought me a bunch of teenybopper magazines featuring Mr. Cassidy to make me feel better. My dad even once tried to get tickets so he could take me to see him in concert, but the show was sold out.

This early crush is tied to some of my memories of my father (NOT in a twisted way, mind you!). And I lost a lot of those memories after his death, so the ones I have, I treasure. So I have always had warm feelings about David Cassidy, in a weird sort of way.

In the late 90's, during a trip to Vegas, my friend Ellen and I were hoping to see him in some long-running show he was in, but he was on vacation the week we were there. I was bumming, because it would have been fun to finally see him after all those years.

A few years ago, he was set to perform in Tahoe right around my birthday, so she got us tickets as my gift. I was just tickled.

And then one day, just before the Tahoe show, he showed up where I work. Worked, I mean.

I walked in the door one morning, and one of my co-workers told me that someone I really, really like would be doing an interview in a little while with our sister station. She wouldn't tell me who it was. I couldn't figure out who it could be.

My co-workers then made me stand in the hallway at the appointed time, and when he rounded the corner, all I could do was blurt out, "Oh my God." Like a 6-year-old dork. Because the last thing I ever expected was to actually meet my very first teen idol. At work, no less.

He was very friendly and polite, said hello to us all, and was swept into the studio for his interview.

Despite my extreme dorkdom, I am not in the habit of ambushing celebrities. Especially at work (just ask Angela how well-behaved I was when Dave Matthews was on the premises). I figure they get really tired of the gushing from dorks, and when I'm at work, I DO try to be a professional. (I said TRY.)

But after I got some work done, I ran back down the hall and told him the little story I've just written here, and he gave me a big hug and signed some CDs and this picture for me. He couldn't have been nicer.

It's so nice when your childhood idols don't dash your illusions.


p.s. The hilarious thing is I can't read what he wrote there. It looks like "To Terry, Much Furl, David Cassidy." No one else can decipher it either...
Posted by Picasa

16
At 27 August, 2006 17:13, Blogger JMai said...

I think was a wee bit behind for the David Cassidy craze, but the fact that you controlled yourself around Dave Matthews? You're my idol, Terry!

 
At 27 August, 2006 17:13, Blogger JMai said...

PS yay first!

 
At 27 August, 2006 17:36, Blogger The Savage said...

Met a few Pro-wrestlers in my time but eh.. they are pretty much a dime a dozen...
But I have met old' Flo Henderson... Mrs. Brady, herself...
I was at a poetry convention in DC back in 97 and she was there for autographs and crap like that.. give me a 20 and i'll sign you a photo kinda shit... She was setting up for the day when i was heading to the bar... She says, "Hi, I'm Florence Henderson," all the while extending her hand to shake mine... I looked her in the eye, shrugged and said, "So?"

Had she have been ohhhhhh Linda Carter I probably would have creamed my pants....

 
At 27 August, 2006 17:56, Blogger sassinak said...

dude i commented on your dream post adn now it's gone. so weird.

anyway, i love this story, thanks for sharing it :)

 
At 27 August, 2006 19:01, Blogger SignGurl said...

I was in love with David's brother Shawn. God, those boys were/are cute!

You are a lucky girl!

 
At 27 August, 2006 21:08, Blogger Jon said...

I think it says "Much Dork"

Just kidding.

I actually saw the show in Vegas you are talking about. The name escapes me. It was a good show. He is a nice guy from what I have heard from others too.

OOh My word verification is "sxdoe". That is sooo you

 
At 27 August, 2006 21:26, Blogger terry said...

jmai, you're so polite to say you're a "wee" bit younger than i am...! and yes, it took great restraint for me not to jump on dave.

savage, you have no love for mrs. brady? she wasn't your childhood milf?

sass, i hate when that happens! glad you liked my silly little tale, tho.

jeanette, i love that you were taking votes. i've had this pic up in my kitchen for several years now, and i still can't decipher it.

signgurl, i gotta say, shawn just didn't thrill me. but i think that's because i was past my teenybopper phase when he hit the scene, and had moved on to rockers. that doesn't explain the resurgence of the teenybopper phase in my 30's, tho...

jon, much dork! that makes a heck of a lot more sense than "sxdoe," or "much furl....!"
and what the hell is the name of that show? i can't remember it either, and it was THE big show to see back then.

must be my early alzheimer's again...

 
At 27 August, 2006 22:09, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Ooooooooooh now that's a dorkalicious moment! I adore it!

I'm so glad he didn't disappoint. So wonderful that he rounded out the good memory you have linked with your dad! Good times!

 
At 28 August, 2006 02:31, Blogger GAB said...

Ahhh David Cassidy. One of my first crushes on the oppiset sex!(sorry about sp) Your so luck to have an autograph pic!

 
At 28 August, 2006 05:58, Blogger DZER said...

I think it says: "To Terry, Must Fuck, David Cassidy"

LMAO

 
At 28 August, 2006 08:20, Blogger Crabby said...

I saw him in Blood Brothers here a few years back at the Palace. He did an awesome job!

Yanno, I put my glasses on and took a closer look at what he wrote .... Dzer's right. No question. I bet he was disappointe when you just thanked him and walked away. LOL!

 
At 28 August, 2006 08:33, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

David C. was my first celeb crush as well. GOD he was cute. Now I'm unnaturally drawn to skinny weirdos with longish hair. Thanks Keith.

I LOVE Florence Henderson. Esp. since she had an affair with Greg.

THey should have done a cross show appearance and had Carol Brady have an illicit affair with Keith.

Like maybe the "Silver Platters" could have been opening for the Partridge Family and Mike and Carol and Alice went backstage and Keith saw her and it was instant love.

Wouldn't that be GREAT?

 
At 28 August, 2006 09:19, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I think it reads "To Terry, I'm glad I'm not Danny Bonaduce, David Cassidy."

But I could be wrong.

You thing that's dorky? Want to know the only person I've ever asked for an autograph?

Joe Sedelmaier.

You got nothing on me.

Yeharr

 
At 28 August, 2006 16:06, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

that's the nicest story i've heard in a long time. i am truly and completely heartwarmed.

i glad he was nice.

(my sister had a crush on him too. and then donny osmond. now she's a lawyer. i still give her pictures of both on some occasions i want to irritate her[in a younger brother kind of way ;-)]. she still loves me...)

 
At 28 August, 2006 18:27, Blogger terry said...

buddha girl, i will always have a soft spot in my heart for mr. cassidy because he didn't disappoint.

gab, seems like many of us had a thing for him...! and welcome!

dzer, how could you take an innocent childhood memory and make it so naughty???
heh.
i know the answer. it's that you know me too well!

jeannette, don't encourage him!!

crabcake, you either!!


cheese, i am SO impressed you remembered the silver platters. i'm cracking up because you did.
when it's time to change, you've got to rearrange....

pirate, thanks for forcing me to google joe sedelmaier, so i didn't have to admit i have no idea who he is. how dorky is THAT?
and the question is, did you get his autograph?

cad, i'm so flattered. and i'd be annoyed if you gave me donny osmond stuff. bleh.

 
At 18 September, 2006 08:11, Blogger Jane said...

Loved your David story...so sweet. While I definitely like the 'must fcuk' version for his autograph...unfortunately, we know it says 'Much Love'. I'm a longtime fan of his and that is what he writes most frequently when he autographs.
I'm glad you got such a nice 'finish' on your first crush.
J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->