Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, September 01, 2006

What a tease...


Mother Nature, that is.

I was all ready to write a regularly-scheduled rant about the never-ending fog when we had an absolutely spectacular day on Wednesday. I even dashed out to go for a long walk after work that night, because it was so nice out. And it's so much more pleasant to walk in nice weather than in thick, wet fog and blustery winds.

But that glorious weather only lasted a day.

I know. Unless you're familiar with the Bay Area's weather patterns, you're saying to yourself, "What the fuck is she talking about? It's still summer!"

Yeah. It is. But summer in San Francisco means heavy fog in many areas, including the 'hood in which I live. This is why tourists who visit my fine city in the summer months end up going home with shitty souvenir sweatshirts -- they have no idea what they're getting into, and only pack light summer clothing, because they assume they're visiting warm, sunny California.

It's why I can drink a lovely Kenwood Cabernet on this summer night without passing out from heat exhaustion.

Many don't know how chilly our corner of the world can be during the summer, despite the alleged Mark Twain quote. ("The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.") And right now, it's fricking freezing, Mr. Bigglesworth.

I shouldn't complain. We've actually had a pretty nice summer, with many sunny days...most notably during that little surprise vacation I had. And I've said it a million times -- I'll take cool weather over hot any day. But August was pretty gloomy in my neck of the woods, and the gray is getting old.

The good news is September and October are usually our nicest months. That's when summer truly comes to the cool gray city of love.

Bring it on! I'm ready!

13
At 01 September, 2006 23:37, Blogger DZER said...

mad props to you for the austin power reference ... me, I like chilly and foggy ;)

Merry Christmas! LOL

 
At 01 September, 2006 23:40, Blogger terry said...

i figured you'd be the one to catch the austin powers reference...!

and i'm going to pretend i didn't see the other part of your comment.

 
At 02 September, 2006 01:51, Blogger The Savage said...

It's been years since I have been in the City by the bay... But me... I like gloomy.... Okay so I'm not quite right in the head...

 
At 02 September, 2006 09:26, Blogger terry said...

savage, interesting that you and your brother are the first to rave about the gloom...

hmm....

 
At 02 September, 2006 10:27, Blogger DZER said...

we george boys like gloom ... heh

 
At 02 September, 2006 20:15, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I got the bigglesworth quote too. Surprised you didn't go with the freshly-shorn scrotum bit, though.

I've heard about SF summers being not all that great. What are the winters like?

Yeharr

 
At 02 September, 2006 22:10, Blogger Jon said...

I love the mildness of the Bay Area. I was there for an extended 5 week work stint once that made me love the place. If I had known you then... Hmmm the possibilities :D

 
At 02 September, 2006 23:26, Blogger terry said...

dzer, what's up with that??

pirate, i can never remember the whole freshly shorn scrotum bit, though that scene is one of my favorites in the movie. not to mention... it really didn't relate to the weather theme here..
winter's pretty mild in the city. we get a fair amount of rain -- tons this year -- but it usually doesn't get any colder than the upper 40's. mostly 50's.

jon, sounds like you were already too....uh...BUSY...during those five weeks. plus, i like to watch the road when i drive across the golden gate bridge...!

 
At 03 September, 2006 09:30, Blogger The Savage said...

For me there's something about a dismal day that I like. It might be the fact that so many people just stay home and I get to laugh at em... lol Silly non-dismal weather liking people... lol

 
At 03 September, 2006 21:54, Blogger terry said...

savage, is there anything better on a dismal day than curling up on the couch under a blankie, reading a good book?

(i'd say, "in front of a fireplace" if i had one...)

 
At 04 September, 2006 03:00, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Ooooh I love random days like yours! Enjoy the Cabernet in celebration of the cool weather.

C'mon back to the east coast for a shot of 90 degrees with humidity. That'll send ya back to the fog and chill pretty damn quick, sister.

I always love your descriptions of the weather and local color, Terry. Thanks for sharing it with me this early morning.

 
At 04 September, 2006 05:24, Blogger The Savage said...

The old people on Guam call dismal days baby making weather.... yet another reason to like em...

 
At 04 September, 2006 14:23, Blogger terry said...

buddhagirl, i think i'd melt. truly. i know i couldn't handle that...!
and what a nice compliment. thank you!

savage, if there were any of that in my life right now, i wouldn't be paying any attention to the weather at all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->