Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, August 26, 2007

School daze...

A young friend of mine is embarking on her first semester at college, several hours from home.

First, I have to again point out how old this makes me feel, because I remember when she was born. And attended my wedding as a toddler. Luckily, she and her mother are still in my life (they're the ones I started hula with last year) even though the person I married is not.

Anyway. She's a little homesick right now, and that's brought up my own memories of my first few weeks away from home. They were hideous, even though I was in the city I'd always wanted to be in (the one I'm still in, 22 years later). I missed my mom, I missed home, I missed my friends, and I missed my boyfriend... that guy I later married. (Silly me.) I had a hard time making friends at first because I didn't seem to fit in...

In a matter of weeks, it got better. Much better. TONS better. Omigod, I ended up having so much fun in the dorms. And I'm trying to reassure my young friend (and her mom) that it will get better for her, too.

So here's why I'm telling you this: if you have a story to share about your own first foray away from home, won't you share it with her? Click here, and tell her how you coped. Or do it in comments here, and I'll send your thoughts on to her.

Mahalo nui loa.

8
At 27 August, 2007 06:11, Blogger lattégirl said...

My first true foray away from home had nothing to do with college or dorms, and I can't figure out whether it would make her feel incredibly lucky to be where she is, or afraid to close her eyes at night. ;-)

 
At 27 August, 2007 07:03, Blogger Natalia said...

I love moving to a new place because it is an opportunity to try new things and meet new people. It's like you get a surprise present every day.

-N

 
At 27 August, 2007 10:12, Blogger Laura said...

aww terry, this is so sweet of u, thankyou! im gonna cry! well, anything makes me cry lately! it just makes me feel loved and all tingly inside knowing i have a support system at home rooting me on. im trying so hard to believe it will get better, because as of now, it does not feel that way at all.

 
At 27 August, 2007 12:18, Blogger terry said...

lattegirl, i don't know about her, but I'D love to hear that story!

nat, that's a great attitude. i need to think more that way myself.

laura, i swear, it WILL get better. it will. and if it doesn't, you can always make another choice.

that's the beauty of adulthood.

 
At 27 August, 2007 15:36, Blogger SignGurl said...

It will take a while to make new friends, but remember, you still have the old ones to lean on.

 
At 27 August, 2007 22:36, Blogger Normal Pie said...

A message from the sad college girl's mama:

Thank you, Terry, for all your support and for soliciting Tales of College Adjustment from all your readers.

And thank you, Terry's readers, for writing in with your stories and your encouragement for my daughter. I know it means a lot to her, and it means a lot to me too.

I think you're all proving Signgurl right: the old friends are there to lean on! What Terry didn't say is that she and a group of my friends (this includes colleagues and relatives) have been there every step of the way from the time my daughter was a little punctuation mark. All of them have made being a single mother oh so much easier and ever so much more joyful. It truly would not have been the same without you. I love you all!

Kisses,
Rebecca (Laura's mommy)

ps: i found a way to leave a comment as a non blogger!!

 
At 28 August, 2007 06:30, Blogger DZER said...

well ... I know I missed the home-cooked meals a lot! lol

 
At 28 August, 2007 22:06, Blogger terry said...

signgurl, that's so true. and she has plenty of old (ahem) ones to lean on.

aww, re.. that's sweet. i'm honored to be an honorary co... i mean, honorary member of your family (trying to preserve some privacy for you here..!!).

dzer, i hear that! dorm food - GAH.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->