Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, August 30, 2007

I have no clever title...



  • I'm just amazed it's been ten years since Princess Diana's death.

  • I was always fond of her. My one (and so far, only) trip to Europe happened just before the royal wedding -- I mean, we left London for home just a few days before the big event -- so you couldn't walk ten feet in any direction without seeing those engagement pictures plastered everywhere, and on everything imaginable. Towels, mugs, plates, salt and pepper shakers... you name it.

  • Of course, I had to buy some cheesy souvenir of my own, and I still have this mug, though I'm sure no beverage has been in it since the early 80's.

  • And yeah, I stayed up all night to watch the wedding, though I remember being really peeved that I fell asleep before they left the church, so I missed that grand moment. I felt like I was witnessing history, but also something that touched me personally, since I got to witness some of the pre-wedding hoopla.

  • So it was sad to learn later what a fiasco it all was, and her untimely death was a huge shock. I think I stayed up most of that night, watching all the cable news coverage. She was only a few years older than I, and it seemed like she might finally have been on her way to finding some happiness in her life.

So why do we grow up thinking that being a princess would be so cool?

5
At 31 August, 2007 16:40, Blogger lattégirl said...

Interesting. If I had a little girl, I think I might read her the usual princess stories. But as she got a bit older, I think I would tell her the story of the real-life princess Diana.

Guessing age 10 is not too young to open eyes to what the lives of princesses are all about.

 
At 31 August, 2007 16:56, Blogger t_cole said...

diana touched me too.
it's hard to believe it's been ten years...

 
At 01 September, 2007 21:41, Blogger Laura said...

i still remember the night of her death..me, angela and my mom had gone shopping at macys, we were in the car in our driveway eating jack in the box when it came on the radio. i remember hearing it for some reason scared me and my mom snapped at me to be quiet(damn journalist!!) and then we all sat in the house watching it on the news, but i was busy looking at my new clothes.

ps. i am a princess. its pretty awesome.

 
At 03 September, 2007 00:20, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

I can't believe that Diana is gone either. It's amazing to think it was ten years ago and yet the unbelievability (is that a word?) that she is truly gone and never coming back is still hard to swallow. Her boys have turned into humble, well-spoken and sensitive men. Thank God for that.

 
At 06 September, 2007 04:57, Blogger Blondie said...

It's crazy, isn't it? I watched that whole 6 hour concert in her memory and actually got teary. Did you read the new Diana book? I can't remember. It was truly fascinating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->