Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, February 18, 2007

What I did this weekend...

This is where the purging fun began -- in my bedroom closet. It's fairly small, compared to my main closet, but I still managed to cram all kinds of crap in here. And because of its shape and size, I don't really hang anything in here except empty hangers. Why? Because I can.
That top shelf holds old jeans that are three sizes too big (I know. Why do I still have them?), all sorts of souvenir shirts that I never wear, and assorted workout wear. That dresser on the left was the center for all kinds of weird items, like old health insurance information and the letter my ex-husband sent to his friends and family when he came out. Again, why was all this there? I have no idea. The piles of clothing on the right are actually on top of my laundry hamper. Didn't want you thinking those piles actually start on the FLOOR.
I was ruthless here. I'd say well over half the contents of this closet are now gone. Maybe even two-thirds. The old jeans, the freebie t-shirts, the unnecessary papers. And I even found a sweater I'd been looking for for ages.

I'm sparing you the hall closet, which serves as a linen closet, a storage space for many toiletries and cleaning supplies, 700 rolls of toiletpaper from Costco, and board games (?!). The pictures don't really illustrate the before and after well, so never mind. I spent the least amount of time on that one anyway.

But here's the view when you walk into my main closet, which is L-shaped. On the left are jackets, sweaters, blouses, and some other assorted clothes. In the back you can see lotsa pants and a couple of coats and jackets I need to donate. The floral thing back there? Is my hula skirt.

Hey, look! You can see the floor again! I really didn't have to purge any clothes here, as I've been good about staying on top of that in recent years, but I had a bunch of old purses and boxes cluttering things up.

And shoes. Wait until you see the shoes...

17
At 18 February, 2007 16:13, Blogger Jon said...

HOLY SHIT!

 
At 18 February, 2007 16:22, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG Girl.....you were BUSY!!! and damn...I thought I had a lot of shoes......shoot!!

It looks great though....hard work pays off, eh? :) Now...wanna come do mine?? LOL I didn't think so...hehe :)

 
At 18 February, 2007 19:03, Blogger JMai said...

Terry, you're my hero. Seriously.

 
At 18 February, 2007 19:24, Blogger terry said...

jon, no kidding... !

chelle, as good as it feels to get it done, i think i'm going to have to pass on your kind invitation. heh.

aww, jmai. thanks!

 
At 18 February, 2007 19:47, Blogger The Savage said...

If I had half you motivation i might be able to put a dent in my place... but alas.. I have no motivation to clean it... lol.. I love my sty... well room in the barn actually but hey.... it'll serve as a sty for now...

 
At 18 February, 2007 23:28, Blogger FATSO said...

Looks almost as bad as my house at the moment. And i have fewer pairs of shoes.

 
At 19 February, 2007 06:56, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Terry I just went back and read all about your weekend and that's awesome! You really did a lot of work! I know you'll feel better. Some crap is worth keeping and MOST of the crap, you will wonder why you ever thought you needed.

We have a weird hoarding mentality in North America. I thought it was just me, coming from a not-so-wealthy background full of very frugal farmers who saved and reused everything. But no. It's like an epidemic, it's weird, and at least my grandmothers only kept USEFUL stuff!!

Good for you. Take a deep breath and enjoy your beautiful apartment!!!

 
At 19 February, 2007 07:02, Blogger Blondie said...

You are so freakin' awesome!!! And I am so happy to know about the junk guys. This is going to save my life. I owe you a giant cocktail.

 
At 19 February, 2007 09:22, Blogger terry said...

savage, clearly it took a lot to push me into action. i've been wanting to do this for awhile.

savage, i'm glad i'm not alone...!

heidi, i know in some cases, i feel like i'll use some of these things again...and a lot of the clothes i got rid of were well worn. but there was plenty of stuff i wore maybe once, or not at all, so i don't know why i even had it. at least there was plenty of decent stuff to donate.

blondie, the junk guys are essential for apartment dwellers. there's just one large trash can for half my building, so it's hard to get rid of a lot of stuff all at once. unless i haul it allll the way across town to the dump myself. it was worth it to pay someone else to do it.

jeannette...hahahahahahaha. you're already doing the cleaning. all you have to do is document it!

 
At 19 February, 2007 09:43, Blogger sassinak said...

you have to use the junk guys anyway, they recycle and it's way better than trash. goodwill also picks up often.

terry this is amazing. i have to do this this weekend as i pack my life and prep for moving. i plan to be relatively kind to my junk because i'm moving into a bigger space and i can use my t-shirt collection for clients who forget their workout gear.

i am inspired by your thing though, i'll do it better now from seeing this

 
At 19 February, 2007 18:27, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Stunned. I am stunned. And impressed!

I think I'll live vicariously through you for the next couple of days. Then....I'll attempt to tackle the crap in my house.

And mega, mucho, mondo thanks for posting all of those damn pics! Fuckalicious!

 
At 20 February, 2007 06:32, Blogger DZER said...

hmm ... yer hangers don't match!

heh.

 
At 20 February, 2007 07:46, Blogger Natalia said...

OMG...I so need to be you this coming week. I have to find some way to make my place look more... unlike a war zone?

-N

 
At 20 February, 2007 09:37, Blogger Foofa said...

All I can say is WOW good job. I wish I could make that kind of maic happen in my house.

 
At 20 February, 2007 14:35, Blogger SignGurl said...

See? You didn't need my master skills after all. I'm so proud of you.

 
At 21 February, 2007 14:20, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

you have way more willpower than me to get through all this cleaning and sorting

i'd do it for about 6 hours and then say fuck it

good on you

 
At 22 February, 2007 19:06, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

wow. good job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->