Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

...oh, our minds will wander to wondrous places...


I get it now.

Last night, after we got our asses kicked (again) in hula class, my friend Rebecca pointed out that it's simply impossible to take our troubles with us into that class. It's impossible to think about anything else, because it requires so much focus to get our bodies to do what we want them to do for as long as we want them to.

We are, for that hour and half, completely in the moment. Which is one of the reasons I love this class so much.

And one of the reasons why I get so carried away by the music that I love, or really great theatre, or a truly amazing performance of any kind. And now that I think of it, why I love roller coasters so much.

So often, my mind is racing in a million directions at once. I guess that makes it easier to multi-task, when necessary...and it's definitely necessary in my chosen profession. But I sometimes feel like I'm missing out on parts of my life, you know?

It's truly a gift when I am stopped in my tracks and entirely lost in a moment. I wonder how to get there more often.

Or should I?

8
At 12 September, 2006 19:07, Blogger JMai said...

As often as possible, I should think. Yay hula!

 
At 14 September, 2006 04:00, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I spend twenty minutes every morning in meditation. For me, that's my time to focus.

However, I do it in a grass skirt, so we do have something in common.

Yeharr

 
At 14 September, 2006 10:13, Blogger terry said...

jmai, yaaay hula, indeed! i just wish my hamstrings would hurry up and recover from this week's class....

bp, i admire your discipline. i'm not a good meditator. my mind tends to wander, and then i start to argue with myself about focusing to meditate.

i'm fighting a losing battle.

and when do we get to see you in your grass skirt?

 
At 14 September, 2006 14:23, Blogger Natalia said...

I am thinking about going back to the gym after I test the waters in the gym in my complex. I'd love to take up classes that are a bit less obviously gym-like. I kinda don't like step. It seems boring and I have been told it is an unnatural thing to be stepping on and off. Hula, on the other hand, sounds lovely. I know the gym close to my house offers Pilates, Yoga, Kickboxing, etc... but Hula... again ... sounds lovely.

*le sigh*

-N

 
At 14 September, 2006 17:43, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

you might find meditation and interesting escape from the normal rush of your life

not in the whole-earthy kind of way - but i imagine the relaxation would be wonderful with such a hectic schedule

 
At 14 September, 2006 19:18, Blogger JMai said...

Terry, I SWEAR your hula girl image just shifted hips while I was reading comments. Am I losing it?

 
At 14 September, 2006 19:27, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

First off, stop thinking of it as a battle. Everyone's mind wanders when they first start meditating.

This morning, I found myself rehashing a scene from an Adam Sandler movie.

The trick is to realize that you're drifting...

It doesn't matter which movie.

...and then take a few deep, refreshing breaths...

I was just using it as an example, OK?

...and then go back to your medita...

Fifty First Dates! The movie was Fifty First Dates! Satisfied?

...tions.

And the grass skirt is just for me. I do have a friend who says she's going to get me into a kilt, though.

Yeharr

 
At 14 September, 2006 21:05, Blogger terry said...

nat, it's funny... we didn't take this class as a fitness thing, per se....but as an opportunity to dance, which we both love. the killer hamstrings i will soon have are gravy...! really, i didn't expect it to be so challenging on every level.

i agree - step class...bleh. but pilates is marvelous. i think we know someone who can advise you... ;)

cad, i've tried meditation from time to time... most notably when i was having so much trouble sleeping... with mixed success. it's SO hard for me to slow my mind down...even with a mantra of "serenity...!!"

jmai, maybe my hula girl is magical! who knew??

bp, do i have to think of adam sandler when i meditate? that wouldn't be very relaxing or refreshing, since... uh... i don't like him.

and i still wanna see you in your grass skirt. maybe THAT will be my mantra...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->