Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Extravagance... or intelligence?



  • You already know how much I hate housework. Especially laundry.

  • I'm starting to think it's time for professional help.

  • No, not therapy...though who couldn't use some of that?

  • I mean professional cleaning help.

  • A couple of weeks ago at work, I was lamenting my laundry situation to another manager, when she asked why I didn't just send my laundry out. You work long hours, she said to me, you're getting paid a decent salary now, and you deserve not to have to spend your evenings dealing with stupid-ass chores if you don't have to.

It's a fair question, and others have asked it. But as I told her, I have lots of overpriced yet cheaply-made clothing items that might just shrink, disintegrate, or worse, go up in flames if handled improperly, so I'm reluctant to let anyone else do my laundry. How is it possible to tell someone who's handling all sorts of people's dirty clothing about each and every item that can't go in the dryer? Or those that can go in for just a few minutes? Yes, some of my laundry is high maintenance.


She suggested I only send out the stuff that's easy, like sheets and towels and workout wear, etc... and deal with the fussy stuff myself. And that I would probably only have to do that every week-and-a-half to two weeks or so.


I kinda pooh-pooed that until last night, when I was again hauling what felt like a boatload of laundry up and down the street after another long day at work.


I think she's right. And if I keep expanding my wardrobe the way I have been lately (ahem), I really will only have to do laundry every 10 to 14 days and I'll still have plenty of clothing options each day.



Oh. My. God. What a concept!



Also, since starting my new job, cleaning house has become a very low priority...even though I really hate it when my bathroom gets dirty. But it's always seemed silly for me to hire someone to clean my apartment, since there's just one person here (and several pounds of dust bunnies) making the mess. It's seemed like an extravagance.



I'm starting to rethink that, too. Maybe it's not a bad idea to have someone else clean it a couple of times a month, and I can do the maintenance in between. Or not.



Hmmm....

5
At 15 September, 2006 04:26, Blogger Michelle said...

OMG Girl...soooo get get someone to clean the apartment!! You do deserve to have your evenings to chill after working all day. Hell, I would do it!! Hell, I DID have a house cleaner for a year or so and it was AWESOME!!! As for the laundry....send it out. I'm sure it will all take a little getting used to but i'm sure it wotn take long : )

 
At 15 September, 2006 07:06, Blogger Natalia said...

I grew up with a live-in maid. I never knew it was such a weird thing for people until I moves here. In Argentina, if you are upper middle to upper class, you have a maid. It's that simple. Here, it's seen as a disgrace or as an extravagance. And some people think of maids as people who are exploited, because they are doing the things you hate doing. Well, so is the person that picks up your trash. It's a job. People get paid for it. I say, if you can afford it, go for it.

-N

 
At 15 September, 2006 19:43, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Time.
Money.
Which do you have more of at the moment?
Inclination.
Which would you rather spend on laundry and cleaning: The time or the money?

I'm guessing that professional cleaners will most likely be able to satisfactorily handle your dainties.

Go for it. Treat yourself well.

Yeharr
ps: I'm not a big Sandler fan either. But I had to trade watching an Adam Sandler flick with them in order to get them to watch a movie with me (Silverado).

Actually, as far as Sandler flicks go, it wasn't bad. If you're ever captured by SNL cultists, and they force you to watch an Adam Sandler movie at gunpoint, I would choose this one.

 
At 16 September, 2006 08:09, Blogger JMai said...

I'm laughing as I read this, Terry... because we are going through the same thing these days and it's been such an experience that I was planning to blog about it!

I agree with Nat, though. It's a job, people do it for whatever reasons. If you can afford it and you ca get over the guilt, go for it.

Totally with you on the laundry, though. I don't farm that out to anyone.

 
At 16 September, 2006 09:17, Blogger terry said...

fucking blogger ate my responses to your comments...!!

may i say again..BETA BLOWS!

anyway.

chelle, i can easily see why busy families like yours would need help with housework. easily. it's just never seemed to make sense for little old me to need help cleaning up after... ME. but i'm leaning in the direction of hiring some help.

nat, that's a really interesting perspective. and i've known plenty of people who've had housekeepers and i've never thought any less of them.

pirate, yeah, i'm learning that my time IS worth a few bucks. but i still won't let anyone else handle certain parts of my laundry (and it's not even dainties) but there's plenty i can outsource.

funny, i'm an SNL cultist myself, but 70's SNL. sandler? not so much.

jmai, i'd forgotten you'd just brought the housekeeping issue on your blog recently! that's funny.

anyone have a housekeeper to recommend??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->