Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, May 28, 2006

So maybe I was wrong...


...and I don't dislike opera after all.

I haven't seen much opera, but what I have seen didn't thrill me.

I'm not sure you can call Baz Luhrmann's staging of "La Boheme" TRULY opera, since there was a bit of Hollywood and Broadway mixed in, but it didn't move me. Some of the performers were really great, and the sets were incredible... but the leads? Blah. They didn't move me. The most interesting thing for me was seeing exactly what inspired Jonathan Larson when he created "Rent."

Then, last fall, there was this. Oy.

So it was with much trepidation that I ventured out last night to take in the first-ever outdoor simulcast of a San Francisco Opera production -- they set up a huge screen in Civic Center plaza, near the Opera House, for the opening night of "Madama Butterfly." And despite the fact that it was freezing cold, I really enjoyed it. As the guy seated next to me said, "Everything sounds better in Italian."

Sure, I was bored in parts...but the second act was particularly riveting and moving. Patricia Racette, who was Butterfly, was astounding. As was Zheng Cao, as Butterfly's maid, Suzuki.

It didn't hurt that I got to sit in the special media area and had a great view of the screen. Not to mention, wine. And the backdrop -- our spectacular City Hall -- wasn't bad either.

After the performance, the leads were all brought over to the park to take a bow and they seemed completely stunned by the size of the crowd, which was easily a few thousand.

Just another reason to love this city.

10
At 28 May, 2006 23:28, Blogger Jon said...

The more I read your blog the more it is confirmed that my city sucks ass (and not in a good way).

 
At 28 May, 2006 23:50, Blogger DZER said...

I hate blah-pera .... heh

 
At 29 May, 2006 11:56, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Oooooooh I love opera! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time, Terry! Your city is the very best!

 
At 29 May, 2006 12:09, Blogger terry said...

jon, IS there a good way to suck ass??
i suppose there is, for some. not for me. ;)

dzer, i have long felt the same way. i'm starting to think it depends on the opera AND those performing it.

bg, it was lovely. and no run-ins with lame police or fast-food drones...!

 
At 29 May, 2006 20:13, Blogger sassinak said...

the performers are more important than the opera... but seeing aida IN the ruins of downtown rome is way better than seeing it in a theatre... so yeah, i hear that.

i'm glad you had a nice time btw

 
At 29 May, 2006 21:15, Blogger terry said...

omigod, i'd sit through anything in the ruins of rome. that sounds amazing, sass..

 
At 30 May, 2006 14:35, Blogger JMai said...

I like san fran more and more every time I hear about it. I miss cosmopolitan life sometimes!

I'm not a fan of opera, though. But I would totally have gone to that show.

And even though I can no longer speak a word of it, I think everything sounds better in French!

 
At 30 May, 2006 18:11, Blogger terry said...

just remember, jmai, soon we will be enshrouded in fog while the rest of you enjoy what we call "summer."

though i've always said i'll take a foggy day over a 90-degree one anytime.

yeah, everything sounds great in french too. and you'd be surprised how much italian you can understand after studying french!

 
At 30 May, 2006 18:41, Blogger JMai said...

You know... I am fluent in Spanish and I minored in French in college... and I tried to study Italian in college so I could major in Romance Languages... and I got SO CONFUSED.

Ahhh, I love language.

LOL, speaking of language...my "word" verification looks something like "bunkaquunk" which, if memory serves, means "hat" in Eskimo (thank you Dr. Suess!)

 
At 30 May, 2006 18:47, Blogger terry said...

okay, that's a good point jmai -- i find myself getting confused between french (which i studied) and spanish (which i know a little of from living in california most of my life)... and i WANT to learn italian, so maybe i'm just asking for trouble...!

love your verification "word"! what language do you suppose "wjdcgfxx" is??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->