Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Everything is beautiful...


...at the ballet...

And it was, last night, at the opening of Smuin Ballet's spring season. They're a wonderful smaller company whose works encompass many different styles of music and dance. I just love 'em. They're so innovative. They make me wish I'd never stopped dancing.

I took ballet classes as a little girl, like many women my age, and have oh-so-many pictures of myself in little tutus and such. I stopped after a few years. I can't really remember why. I think we moved, and my parents didn't like something about the studio in our new neighborhood.

I started up again as a teenager, after seeing "The Turning Point," which introduced me to Mikhail Baryshnikov. HELLO. (I finally got to see him dance here in SF years later, and I still get chills thinking about it.) But it also reminded me how beautiful ballet really is.

But it didn't take long for me to realize that I wasn't disciplined enough for serious ballet study, and that I preferred a freer style of dance. So I switched to jazz and modern, which I absolutely loved. I became so obsessed that I was constantly choreographing in my head whenever I listened to music.

I even had a little fantasy for awhile about dancing professionally, but the practical side of me won out, and I took a different path. And eventually, I couldn't fit dance classes into my schedule anymore.

I miss it.

7
At 13 May, 2006 11:46, Blogger Michelle said...

It's never too late to do something you enjoy. Go for it....

 
At 13 May, 2006 12:22, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

I second that!

 
At 14 May, 2006 06:24, Blogger DZER said...

the ballet doesn't really do anything for me ... glad that it uplifted you though ... *smoochy booches*

 
At 15 May, 2006 13:36, Blogger terry said...

chelle and nomadshan, i agree. it's in my plans.

dz, i don't know too many straight guys who ARE dance fans, so no surprise there!

and chrissie, you need to move!

 
At 18 May, 2006 14:01, Blogger Jon said...

I've never been to a ballet performance. My sister did ballet for a number of years in a troupe but I think she went the same route as you... too disciplined to keep it up. She still dances in a "French Colonial" troupe. I have still not been to a performance. When we were in MI in early Dec for Patt's 50th BDay they were all at the party. That bunch can dance... even the old guy in his 80s that walks with a cane (we were a little concerned).

 
At 19 May, 2006 07:26, Blogger terry said...

jon, what exactly does a french colonial troupe do?

 
At 19 May, 2006 09:25, Blogger Jon said...

They dance and play music mostly around Michigane. You can read more here http://www.artservemichigan.org/members/mdecadillac/index.html

My sister is the one in the top left pic and in the center of the bottom pic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->