Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, May 20, 2006

PMS + Cocktails = a dangerous combination...

I've been ravenous for DAYS now. No matter what I've eaten, I've been absolutely starving less than an hour later.
Since there was no logic to that, I took a closer look at my calendar and realized... yep! It's hormonal.

And I was doing a pretty good job of not submitting to the beast. There was some extra chocolate in the mix, but in small amounts.

But then I made some cocktails for myself last night.

Here's the thing: my martini glasses are larger than those you find in most bars. In fact, the ones in most bars are teeny (tini?), compared to mine.
And it's not like I set out to buy jumbo martini glasses; I liked the colors, I liked the designs, and dammit, some of them were GIFTS!

At any rate, my glasses hold two cocktails each. So when I decide to make two Terry-sized cosmos, I have to quadruple the recipe. HAVE to.

Okay, so I get home from work yesterday, and decide to have a little snack before my manicure. I had some of these TJ soy chips. Not bad.

Oh. Then I had a handful of those pralines I bought from TJs the other day when they were out of my favorite peanut butter cups (People, they're better than REESE'S. No joke.).

Yeah, then I had a handful of said PB cups. The ones I bought on a previous shopping trip. They're smaller than Reese's, so a handful isn't THAT bad. Right?

Then, while my nails were drying, I ordered that noodle dish I love so much from the Burmese place that's conveniently next door to my nail salon.

Of course, I inhaled the whole thing. I usually have leftovers, but whatever. And my cosmos went really well with it.

Now, I figure, I'm done. I've had MORE than enough to eat, and have another cosmo to finish and I'm feeling full.

A couple of hours later, around 11 p.m., I'm not only a little drunk, I'm starving again. Hey, I have some fresh mozarella! I'll slice up some of that! That'll do the trick. It's yummy. It's filling. And even in my vodka'd haze, I'm aware that it's the hormones that want to eat, and that I'm not REALLY hungry.

That's what I thought until I decided to have a little piece of this amazing gluten-free chocolate cake I found at my organic grocery store last weekend. Heated up, with a little coconut gelato on top. (The great thing about this cake is that it's so rich, a small piece is all you need to get full chocolate satisfaction. Which is why I still have half a cake left, a week after I bought it.)

Needless to say, there's a big, long walk on my agenda today...

12
At 20 May, 2006 23:39, Blogger DZER said...

hmm ... trying to take over my job at making people salivate over food posts? LOL

sounds like a wonderful evening indeed ... next time, if you want company, I'll see if I can join you ;)

 
At 21 May, 2006 06:03, Blogger Michelle said...

It's nice to know that I am not the only one who gets like that sometimes!!! There are days when no matter how much I eat....it doesn't fill me up!! lol

I love that you have larger than normal martini glasses.....why use a dinky little one? That only means you have to fill it up more often, right?? LOL

 
At 21 May, 2006 08:17, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

You've got it bad, sister.

I say keep on eating and drinking to combat the hormones. Which is worse? Packing on a little chub or saving the world from a murderous rampage?

 
At 21 May, 2006 12:17, Blogger terry said...

dzer, no one can top your food posts. no. one.
and hell, come on over! perhaps you can save me from myself...

chelle, i'm SO with you on the dinky glasses! sometimes when i'm at a place that has 'em, i get embarassed by how quickly i drain 'em...

BG, that's an excellent way of looking at it! i was doing it for the good of humanity!!

 
At 21 May, 2006 17:23, Blogger JMai said...

Damn hormones!! They're so inconvenient!

I love stemware... I've got my pretties on display in my little Crate and Barrell wine tower (I posted about this monstrosity back in January... what a debacle, but soo worth it now that it's up!) I love to mix and match stemware pieces. And ALL my martini glasses (keep in mind I do not even drink martinis!) are oversized. More yum, less guilt (but I only had ONE!)

 
At 21 May, 2006 19:15, Blogger terry said...

jmai, i love stemware too! everytime i step into an antique store, i'm drawn to it.

if i ever get a digital camera, i'll have to show y'all the really cool antique china cabinet i have to display it all. it's one of my favorite things.

more yum, less guilt... i think that might have to be my new motto...

 
At 21 May, 2006 19:39, Blogger Michelle said...

Damn girl...how much fun would it be to go drinking with you??? LOL

 
At 22 May, 2006 07:24, Blogger terry said...

chelle, come out for a visit and you'll find out!

 
At 22 May, 2006 12:36, Blogger sassinak said...

what chelle said!

also? i'm so there... there has not been enough food in the fucking world for two weeks.

TWO WEEKS of pms. is that fair???

 
At 22 May, 2006 12:39, Blogger terry said...

sass, come on down!

i have been accused, on more than one occasion, of being a bad influence. i don't know why... ;)

and two weeks??? that is SO wrong...

 
At 22 May, 2006 13:19, Blogger Jon said...

OMG I am afraid. But I'd still go drinking with you.

My brother always uses larger than normal martini glasses as well. Makes the extra couple bucks they charge woth it right? OK, maybe not.

I went to his new place Friday night. He made us all a new shot (new to me anyway) called "Sex With An Aligator". It was yummy!

 
At 22 May, 2006 13:24, Blogger terry said...

don't be afraid! i'll be gentle!

okay, there was the one time i made miss sassyhair's sister sick, but the poor thing hadn't eaten... so it wasn't my fault.

right?

no?

okay, jon, what was in that shot??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->