Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Monday, May 15, 2006

Oopsie...

Apparently, it's been so long since I've needed sunscreen that I've forgotten how to use it.

I spent yesterday at a BBQ in the South Bay, with my friend Sherri, her family, her in-laws, and some of her friends (the same people I spent Easter with). Fun, fun, fun.

And since it was a gorgeous, sunny day, I made sure to slather sunscreen on my face, and on my exposed chestal area... but I neglected my arms completely. And I was having such a good time that I didn't pay enough attention to how much time I spent with my left arm exposed to the sun.

It's a delightul shade of dark red today. And is there anything more attractive than an uneven sunburn? One arm... dark red. The other.... a lighter shade of red. And some variations on that theme on other parts of me. Nice. Feels great, too.

So here is what I'm wondering today....
You know how, when you want to make something happen in your life, you're supposed to visualize it, believe it, own it?
What do you do when it DOESN'T happen? Doesn't all that believing bring about greater disappointment?

It's something that occurred to me last week, amid all my visualizing and believing.
Now, I'm not sure what to think....

12
At 15 May, 2006 14:26, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

I can relate on the sunburn issue

i have to be REALLY careful for the first while in spring/summer or I will scorch my head (shaved/bald).

But look on the bright side (literally) - it's not raining.

I can't help on the visualisation thing...

 
At 15 May, 2006 17:21, Blogger terry said...

cadbury, i've had many "part" burns in my day, so i can only imagine what it's like to have an entire head burn..! YOWCH.

and believe me... i am NOT complaining about the sun ONE BIT. just my own lameness with the sunscreen...

 
At 15 May, 2006 17:23, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I'm going to ponder the whole visualizing and being disappointed thing later. I'm still stuck on your dark red arm. I HATE when that happens.

This past weekend my EARS and the LEFT side of my neck got burned. How in the hell does THAT happen?

 
At 15 May, 2006 18:11, Blogger terry said...

oh, god, i've had ear burn before too, bg! that's terrible!
who the hell puts sunscreen there, anyway?

 
At 15 May, 2006 18:49, Blogger DZER said...

pessimistic realism darlin' ... that way you're never disappointed ;)

and I've done that, particularly on long car rides (or golf cart rides) ... it's a bitch waiting to even out ... best thing is to go hang the lesser colored arm out of a window for a couple more hours LOL

 
At 15 May, 2006 20:35, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Hope you aren't beating yourself up for not visualizing hard enough! Too many things come down to a decision made by some other person. But the believing, and vis'ing, and owning are all positive actions, so you're doing it the right way. Can't help but think it'll "pay off" in some way.

 
At 15 May, 2006 22:03, Blogger Diva M. said...

Okay, from personal experience I can say that it IS more disappointing when you work to believe something will happen, but it still doesn't. However, I am also a huge believer that we can ONLY have those things in life we believe we will have. And if we don't believe something will happen for us... it most certainly won't.

Sooo, I don't know if you're dealing with any actual disappointment, but keep the faith.

 
At 16 May, 2006 06:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that we are going through the same thing. I got some interesting news on Mother's Day. Oh, joy. What a way to make my day suck.

Anyway, I'm going to try very, very hard to still believe...for something else and hope that that will come to fruition.

I'm with Sassy...keep the faith!!

 
At 16 May, 2006 09:32, Blogger terry said...

dzer, that pessimistic realism is my USUAL M.O... and since it doesn't seem to be working for me, i keep thinking that a change is in order.

so that's why i've been trying the other thing.

and shan, i haven't been beating myself up about it, actually. it just hit me at one point last week that if things DON'T go the way i want them to... it's going to be a huge kick in the gut, with all this visualizing and believing i've been doing.

and i've experienced that feeling before. it's not pretty.

but as you say, it's not up to me. i've done my part.

sassyhair, there's been no news either way yet. this is just me doing that obsessing thing i do so well..! and you know how slooooowly these things tend to move....

jeannette, what's going on? i was wondering why there was no TWIX...
i hope all's well.

 
At 16 May, 2006 09:48, Blogger Madame X said...

Hey Terry!

I love when I cover what I think is my ENTIRE body in spf140 only to find out at about 5.00PM that I missed that part of your arm that's not quite arm not quite boob...you know the area...OUCH!

 
At 16 May, 2006 18:32, Blogger JMai said...

I've never done that whole visualisation thing so I can't be sure how much more disappointing it is when it doesn't happen for me. But my general motto is hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

My other personal motto is maximise your sunning position. I hate uneven tans!

 
At 16 May, 2006 19:43, Blogger terry said...

madame, i know EXACTLY what you're talking about. and that hurts like hell.

yeah, jmai, i wasn't really paying attention to where the sun was hitting me... but clearly, i should have been...!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->