Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Monday, July 09, 2007

Unintended consequences...

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my hula class? I don't think I have. But I do. So much so that I'm now going twice a week (I had no idea this was an option until recently -- Kumu ((our teacher, hula master)) split the class in half, and some diehards go to both. I'm now one of them.).

Not only has this been a fabulous creative outlet for me, it's getting me into shape like nothing else I've done in years. As I've mentioned here before, hula's a lot more challenging than I ever expected -- physically AND artistically. The hula you think you know isn't the "traditional" (kahiko) hula we've been doing for the past year. Not only is it a completely different style of movement from all those jazz classes I took in my youth, it's much more physically demanding. I never thought that I'd end up drenched with sweat from hula. And it's not just my out-of-shape ass that's sweating, with calves on fire (fucking uehe -- the most physically challenging step for me); many of my hula brothers and sisters are also sweating like crazy and breathing as heavily as I am during class.

And that's what's finally prompted me to step up my workouts. I want to be a better dancer, so I'm making it a point -- for the first time in years -- to get consistent exercise throughout the week. No excuses. Because I know that if I don't, I'll curse my lazy bones every time I do a step ilalo (that's dipping down low) and struggle. I want to focus on the artistry, and not be so challenged by the physical. I am competitive, after all. I want to rank among the best dancers in my class (not that there's an actual competition; this is just how my psyche works).

And now, I'm starting to see the changes in myself. I knew I was getting stronger, but I've also dropped some weight. I thought I was just imagining it, but I can actually see it in my face in that picture I posted of myself a couple of weeks ago. And a couple of recent shopping trips have confirmed it (not to mention, the looser fit of the clothes I already own). It's not a lot of weight, but I can see the difference. And a few others have noticed it too; I've even gotten elevator eyes recently from several men I know.

I can even feel muscles in my ass I've never even noticed before. Why am I touching my own ass? Someone has to. Besides, it's higher and tighter than it's been in... oh, who the hell knows. Who knew there were muscles in MY glutes??

Funny that it took this little dance class to finally get me on the path to better fitness. I had no idea this is where hula would lead me.

9
At 10 July, 2007 03:59, Blogger The Savage said...

I'd say something in Hawaiian but I don't know the language.... So I decided to go with bastardized Middle English
Thou doth rocketh much....

 
At 10 July, 2007 06:10, Blogger DZER said...

also remember that it's not just about weight lost, but what kind of weight. Some of the mass you have know likely was fat but is now dance muscle, so double bonus!

*pats yer ass ... cuz someone else has to*

 
At 10 July, 2007 06:19, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

I'm writing this comment after cleaning the coffee off my keyboard. I must remember to not drink coffee when reading your comments.

'Why am I touching my own ass? Someone has to.'

snort

Best line of the week.

Yay, you! Keep it up! I think your hula program's a lot better than that guy who's using his Wii to lose weight.

yeharr

 
At 10 July, 2007 08:07, Blogger Natalia said...

Sounds fab. I keep telling myself I will make time for this type of stuff and then it just slips away.

Ugh!

-N

 
At 10 July, 2007 11:33, Blogger terry said...

savage, that's hilarious.

dzer, i needed that pat! i'm tired of patting my own ass.

pirate, sorry about your keyboard... i had no idea i'd provoke that kind of response.

one of my friends' kids has been trying to convince her to buy him a wii... for the exercise. he loves the boxing game, and keeps demonstrating how much of a sweat he works up while playing it. clever...

nat, i hear ya! this is partly why my housecleaning is going by the wayside... because i'm making my fitness a priority instead.

 
At 10 July, 2007 11:47, Blogger Foofa said...

I believe that the key to weight loss is finding an exercise that you love and wan to do. I need to find one myself.

 
At 10 July, 2007 22:47, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Shake yo ass! Watch yo'sef! Shake yo ass! Show me whatcha working wif!

I LOVE that you love that hula class and ADORE that you're getting in shape for the right reasons.

I damn love elevator eyes! *eyes*

 
At 15 July, 2007 23:14, Blogger Laura said...

YOU WORK IT MAMA! AH, I love that feeling. I totally know how u feel, isn't it great??? good job!

 
At 16 July, 2007 15:26, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

hulaughs last?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->