Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Cuarenta y tres...

That is how old I'll be tomorrow. 43!
I also recently realized that it's now been 25 years since I graduated from high school (!!) and 20 since college (yes, I was on the 5-year plan, as I took a year off to work in the middle).
Cliches are cliches for a reason: time really does fly. And when I see my friends who've been my friends for all these years, it sure doesn't seem like that much time has passed. We still seem like the goofy teenagers we were. I suspect we'll feel that way forever. With any luck.
For a change, I'm not sweating the increase in age this year, because sooooo much has changed in my life since my last birthday. New job, new hobby, new experiences. I'm in better shape, in every sense of the word.
I don't even hate this picture taken of me (and my friend Jennifer) at a show the other night. That's new, too.

I'll be spending the big day at that new job and then at that new hobby. I did my celebrating in New York (a little too much, in fact... but more on that later).

I did have a weird age-related moment recently, though: I was at my Starbucks, where all the young baristas know me by name. In conversation with one, I used the phrase, "...'cause that's how I roll," and he laughed uproariously, like it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard.

It turns out, it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard coming out of the mouth of someone my age. Because he then asked me, "Do you have kids our age?"

Now it was time for me to bust out with a big laugh, because not only did I think these young'uns were a little older than they are (as it happens, they're all late teens/early 20s - I was thinking mid-to-late 20's), but also because I COULD conceivably be their mother.


Naw, I said. I'm still a kid myself.

And here's hoping I always feel that way.

25
At 10 June, 2007 11:47, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

Hope you have a good one! Drink something naughty.

 
At 10 June, 2007 11:52, Blogger terry said...

thanks, shan! but i'm not allowed to drink anything especially naughty for awhile.

no, really.

 
At 10 June, 2007 12:09, Blogger Natalia said...

You are a Gemini too? I'll be 30 June 17th.

Woohoo birthdays!

Happy early one to you.

-N

 
At 10 June, 2007 12:09, Blogger Blondie said...

Happy birthday, sweet Terry!!!! If I was there I would take you out for a yummy dinner and we could harrass young men together. Last night I hung out with two guys who were 24 who didn't believe I was as OLD AS 30 until I showed them my driver's license. Good times.

 
At 10 June, 2007 12:18, Blogger terry said...

nat, you know who else is a gemini? the queen of cheese. geminis rule!

and a happy early b'day to you, too!

thanks, blondie! that would be great fun. and usually, people don't think i'm over 40, so i think that's partly why i thought the starbucks incident was so funny.

a good reality check...

 
At 10 June, 2007 13:09, Blogger Laura said...

you totally forgot to mention how time flies...because now im graduating! seriously, i cant wait to graduate, but it went by SO. FAST. U went to teatro on friday?? my mom and i were supposed to go but we both felt overly tired by a week that kicked our asses. im so happy you are home! i hope u had a wonderful trip! cant wait to see u!

 
At 10 June, 2007 13:10, Blogger Laura said...

you totally forgot to mention how time flies...because now im graduating! seriously, i cant wait to graduate, but it went by SO. FAST. U went to teatro on friday?? my mom and i were supposed to go but we both felt overly tired by a week that kicked our asses. im so happy you are home! i hope u had a wonderful trip! cant wait to see u!

 
At 10 June, 2007 16:05, Blogger The Savage said...

Happy Birthday!
I just have to say that If I were there I'd tell ya how old ya felt... you know.. I'd brush my hand along your thigh and quip, "You feel 18 to me!" That's how I roll...

 
At 10 June, 2007 19:13, Blogger terry said...

laura, i know -- i can't believe you're graduating! i still remember when your mom was preggers with you.

hey, i was wiiiiiped on friday too, but i went anyway... and the show was so great i forgot how exhausted and headache-y i was.

savage, thanks! and the way you roll makes me laugh.

 
At 10 June, 2007 19:54, Blogger Cynthia said...

Happy B-day, Ter., I know what you mean about the time flies thing, on a lot of counts...

You look beautiful (as always)..

It is weird, we've now lived two lifetimes in some sort of way. And, are we who we thought a 40 something was when we were a teen something? Or a 28+ something?

Love you, Cyn.

 
At 11 June, 2007 05:03, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Hope smope. You'll ALWAYS be the way you are because that's the REAL Terry. Period.

I love that you can't see the difference in age between you and others - that's the way it's supposed to be. I think 42 was your serious growth year and 43 will be the beginning of even more stellar life experiences.

I'm glad to know ya, Terry! Happiest of Birthdays to you!

 
At 11 June, 2007 06:49, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

Happy Birthday you young whippersnapper!

Now you kids get the hell off my lawn!

yeharr

 
At 11 June, 2007 09:13, Blogger Natalia said...

Happy B-Day on the right day now. And it's so weird that you, who I love, and this other person, who I really dislike, were born on the same day. So much for that whole numerology and personalities and liking people hoopla.

-N

 
At 11 June, 2007 11:47, Blogger Foofa said...

Yeah for more Geminis!!! Happy birthday to you! Congratulations on still being a kid. That's how I roll too.

 
At 11 June, 2007 12:41, Blogger terry said...

cyn... thank you! it's hard to believe we're where we are, isn't it? you bring up an excellent question about what we thought we'd be at this point....

buddha girl, most people think i'm younger than i really am, so that's partly why i thought the barista incident was so hilarious.

that, and i'm completely immature.

and thank you for your kind wishes!

pirate, i just came over to get my frisbee. jeez.
and thanks.

nat, thank you! were they born in the same year, though? isn't that a factor?

nat, thank you, oh great gemini.

 
At 11 June, 2007 13:47, Blogger Natalia said...

Nope, she is turning 43 as well. Coincidence :)

-N

 
At 11 June, 2007 15:03, Blogger terry said...

oh, nat that's funny.

i'll do my best to be the GOOD 6/11/64 gemini...!

 
At 12 June, 2007 05:08, Blogger Michelle said...

Whoo hooooooooo 43!! Happy Birthday to ya!! (I will be right there with ya in a few months!)

I hope you had a great day. Oh...I love that starbucks story!! LOL

 
At 12 June, 2007 19:57, Blogger sassinak said...

according to jungian crap you're doing a shift right now and will be very different in the second part of your life.

that said, your essential you-ness? stuck with it... awesome huh?

:)

 
At 12 June, 2007 20:01, Blogger terry said...

thanks, chelle...! come on in, the water's fine here at 43. so far.

sass, that's really interesting. i think i've already had a big shift in my life. in my teens and 20s, i was always the responsible, trying-to-be-a-mature-adult one (long story)... and in the past ten years or so, i've turned into a moderately irresponsible goofball.

then again, i've always been a goofball. just not always with such abandon.

 
At 13 June, 2007 18:44, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

What an awesome post! Look at you go.

 
At 13 June, 2007 22:32, Blogger Jon said...

You are adorable

 
At 14 June, 2007 13:12, Blogger terry said...

heidi, thank you!

yes, jon, i am.

*snort*

 
At 18 June, 2007 06:38, Blogger Michael B said...

very nice pic of you, tc. hope all is well.

 
At 04 July, 2007 10:56, Blogger masgblog said...

Happy Belated birthday....glad you were able to stop in for a bit during your whirlwind life....hope the b'day was most excellent!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->