Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Priorities...

I don't think my apartment's ever been dirtier.

I don't mean cluttered; there's an average amount of stuff around that I need to pick up, but it's not too bad. I've seen worse in here.

I'm talking about actual dirt -- mostly dust, and the hair that seems to leap off my head constantly. I haven't actually cleaned house in... oh... three weeks?

BLEAH. I'd show you a picture, but it's too horrifying. My bathroom floor is especially grody, with all the hair.

I've simply been too busy to clean. I've hardly even been home for the past few weeks. And if I have the choice to clean or to relax... I think you know what I'm choosing.

I thought I'd get some housecleaning done today, but then I found out my friends Teri and Jim from SoCal were going to be in town. I haven't seen them in aaaages. I thought I could still cram in some laundry (the stuff I don't send out) after seeing them for brunch, but we were having such fun that it seemed ridiculous to cut things short in favor of a menial task.

After all, isn't it better to spend time with people you love than doing stupid, mindless chores?

Now, would any of you people I love like to come help me with my stupid, mindless chores?

No?

Damn.

18
At 19 May, 2007 20:52, Blogger Diva M. said...

I so hear you, sister. My apartment is a little on the grimy side these days, as well. This afternoon I spent an hour cleaning my teeny, tiny kitchen. It didn't LOOK that dirty, but I needed to give it a really good scrub. Tomorrow, the bathroom... with the living room and my bedroom soon to follow. Yes, it's a multi-day job.

 
At 19 May, 2007 20:56, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

yeah, umm...try cleaning it when you've got two ANTI-clean machines in the next room dirtying up every damn thing you've just cleaned...

yeharr

 
At 19 May, 2007 22:30, Blogger terry said...

sassy, the funny thing is i'll be putting off the cleaning a little longer this weekend because i'd rather have brunch with you!

hahahahahaha. ha.

pirate, i've lived with a massive anti-clean machine. i had a husband once. he used to leave his dirty, smelly socks in the living room every. single. night. and could never understand why that bothered me.

guess you can't really get rid of your anti-clean machines, tho...

 
At 20 May, 2007 01:22, Blogger Laura said...

actually...i hate doing things like washing dishes etc, but cleaning like scrubbing and what not i love to do!
OH MY GOD. i dont know what im gonna do. i never have to clean my bathroom charity does that for me. I have never had to change my own sheets. oh jesus...fuck college.
im staying here forever.

 
At 20 May, 2007 10:54, Blogger Jon said...

The only time I seem to be able to do any thorough cleaning is when either someone is helping, or I am having friends over. The dust on my nightstands is to the point of being comical. Maybe I should have a party to get my ass motivated.

That or I should hire someone.

BTW, I would help you clean. What's in it for me ;)

 
At 20 May, 2007 16:16, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I hate it when my place gets so dirty that I end up dwelling on it. With that said, it happens. *shrugging* When I had two cats, I would wait until the kitty hair had invaded every crevice of my place and THEN clean. I just couldn't deal with the every day crap.

I say if you can send out your laundry, you should see if you can get someone to come in once a week or twice a month to do the tough stuff like mopping and 'real' dusting. I will readily admit that I don't dust unless I have someone who will be icked out by the dust.

My Lil Sis broke down and hired this local chick to clean her place - the tough stuff. She changes all the sheets on the beds and everything. I envy my sis on this. Ha!

 
At 20 May, 2007 16:34, Blogger terry said...

laura, if you're dorming it, you won't have to worry about cleaning your bathroom just yet... but you will have to change your own sheets.

i can't tell you how many people in the dorms i taught to do laundry. especially the guys. they were lost puppies.

jon, i'll buy you a sidecar or three!

buddhagirl, i can tolerate a certain amount of mess -- i'm just not interested in spending all my free time cleaning or obsessing about it -- but right now? dissssssgussssting.

i'd like to hire someone for the occasional cleaning, but i haven't even had time to do that!

 
At 20 May, 2007 17:32, Blogger The Savage said...

I'd come right over simply because you used the term "grody" and help you get everything all cleaned up, vacuumed and shampooed.... yeah I mop too.... but it's too long a rive for my meager income... sigh...

 
At 21 May, 2007 03:01, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

Oh SURE. Go out and have fun with your OTHER friends and invite us over to clean.

Nice.

Nice try. Good thing we're smart and not too desperate.

 
At 21 May, 2007 03:02, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 21 May, 2007 10:51, Blogger Foofa said...

My apartment is full of dirt that won't come off unless you are some uber super cleaner that has products I don't know about. I also generates dust in an insane manner. I totally understand.

 
At 22 May, 2007 05:14, Blogger SignGurl said...

Terry, I'll be right over to save you. I love to clean. I just hate to pick up clutter.

 
At 22 May, 2007 08:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my cleaning lady, she does it ALL now and I have her in every week now too, and I'd cut food from my budget before I cut her! ALICE IS A GODDESS IN MY HOME!

Just make the call, the rest takes care of itself, just a little check a couple of times a month...it's like Rapture!

I'd suggest starting once every other week, the impact will be tremendous!

Lots of love to you...haven't commented much lately, but I've been keeping up!

-Lil'sis

 
At 22 May, 2007 10:34, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

spending time with people you enjoy is infinitely superior to cleaning

when you are in the nursing home - will you remember the cleaning? unless you are angry that you missed life to clean?

 
At 22 May, 2007 11:10, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky for me I have these teen things that like things like going out and having money! They are forced to do my stupid, mindless chores in exchange for those other items... heh.

 
At 22 May, 2007 12:22, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

we have 4 long haired people and two critters in our house...plus the horse hair I bring home from my coach's barn...yeah it's not real clean in here, so I'm sorry, I won't have time to come clean your house for you!!

Someday I'm gonna hire somebody to do it....

 
At 22 May, 2007 13:46, Blogger sassinak said...

awww she said it for me but here's another vote:

GET

A

MAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

i *heart* mine

 
At 22 May, 2007 22:33, Blogger terry said...

savage, i'm so pleased you enjoyed my use of grody. you hardly hear that anymore...

wait, love monkey, come back! i'd take you out to dinner and stuff. really!

natalie, i'm amazed by how quickly the dust appears here. must be something about city living.

signgurl, come on over! i'll do the clutter if you'll de-grodify the place!

little sis, you are a wise woman indeed. i am going to have to get some help in here. i just can't keep up. i can't imagine how hard it must be with an entire family!

cad, you're so right. i'm just getting worried that the dust and grodiness might actually put me in a nursing home earlier than i'd like.

chrissie, damn! i knew i shoulda had kids... ;)

heidi, you have a much better excuse for the messiness than i do. there's just one of me here...

sass, i want to ! i haven't had time to make the call, to get more keys made, to be here for the initial visit... none of it!

i have, however, been outsourcing most of my laundry. there's still a bunch of stuff i have to wash myself, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->