Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, March 25, 2007

I love it when strangers patronize me...




Isn't that pretty? It's part of the bunch o'roses I bought the other night. They smell lovely too.

And when I bought them, the (older, male)cashier said he hated seeing "attractive women" buying their own flowers.

Okay. This comment came at the end of a long week (and after that long walk pictured in my last post) and I wasn't really thinking, so all I said was, "I'd rather buy them myself than not have them at all."

Which is true. But why did he assume I was buying them for myself? Perhaps I was buying them for someone else. Perhaps I get flowers all the time from other people, and this was a rare occurrence, me buying flowers.

Who the fuck cares whether anyone buys me flowers, anyway?? I don't. I LOVE getting flowers, but I don't base my self-worth on whether I buy them or someone else does.

I wish I'd thought of that at the time. Then again, I'm not really into confronting strangers who make stupid comments in the guise of a compliment. At least I think there was supposed to be a compliment in there, but since I was dressed for a workout and nothing else, I wasn't even considering that anyone would even pay one iota of attention to me.

On another subject: have you been wondering why I keep saying hula's so challenging? Take a gander at this. It's very much in the style of what we've been learning since last July, though we're not nearly this good or this fast, and our chanting SUUUUUCKS compared to what these women are doing. They're goooooood, at everything.

I was pleased to see them breathing heavily at the end of the second dance. Made me feel MUCH better.

I don't think I can adequately describe how hard some of those moves are. See how low they're dipping? Try that. No. LOWER. LOWER. It's never low enough. At the same time, make sure you're working your hips properly AND doing the right things with your arms. It's hard.

But in a good way. I'm so glad my friend Rebecca decided we should do this, even though she can't fit it into her life anymore. I had no idea I'd love me some hula.

8
At 25 March, 2007 18:35, Blogger JMai said...

That is very pretty. I buy myself flowers all the time... and what? Chulo sends me flowers too. I'm sure he was just trying to be kind, but sometimes people say some offensive things when they're trying to be kind.

My computer and youtube have a love-hate relationship. Or perhaps there's no love there at all. I'm convinced it's some junk the IT guys did to curb my enjoyment. But I've seen live Hawaiian shows and NOTHING about that looks easy. Kudos to you for keeping up with it after Rebecca had to ditch.

 
At 25 March, 2007 19:20, Blogger Dr. Brainiac said...

Nothing says, "I don't know a fucking thing about you but everybody says girls like flowers and I'm not creative enough to come up with something original," like a vase of cut flowers that will be dead in a week. Wanna impress me? Give me a rose bush. Properly tended it will yield roses for years. Otherwise, give me something practical - like an oil change. I can buy my own goddamn flowers if I want them. I'll shut up now.

 
At 25 March, 2007 22:06, Blogger terry said...

jmai, i'm sure the guy was just attempting to say something nice... but it just came out all wrong.

drsharna, no need to shut up! i love the notion of a rose bush. it just wouldn't work for me, since i live in an apartment. no yard, you see.

and i LOVE flowers. i just don't need commentary when i buy them.

 
At 26 March, 2007 14:13, Blogger Foofa said...

It is so strange how people just don't know how to give a nice compliment. I am sure he could have done much better.

 
At 26 March, 2007 16:07, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

I used to hula as a child. I remember it being a blast. God knows I have the hips for it now. You go with your bad self and your hula!

 
At 26 March, 2007 17:46, Blogger terry said...

natalie, it was just so odd. it's not like we'd been chatting, aside from the "hi.. how are you... debit or credit" conversation...

reg, really? you've hula'd? cool!

 
At 27 March, 2007 09:56, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

I have bought my own flowers many times, but I do not like them as much as those I get from others. I want lie to you.

 
At 28 March, 2007 06:02, Blogger Blondie said...

You are nicer than me. I would have said, f*ck you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->