Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Funniest... show... ever!

And I'm not even a fan of the movies.

No, really. The first one came out when I was in the seventh grade, and it's ALL anyone would talk about. Kids in one of my classes were actually doing book reports about the book (which I'm guessing was just the screenplay in book form. Or was there a real book?)...! Consequently, I had no interest in seeing the movie. Ever.

Thus began my contrarian streak. I tend not to see the most popular movies around because I get sick to death of hearing about them. "Top Gun?" Never saw it. "Jurassic Park?" Nope. "Indiana Jones?" Nuh uh. (I do like the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland, tho...)

I'm not into big action or special effects.

But when I was 17, I had a boyfriend who was a major sci-fi freak, so he insisted we see all three "Star Wars" movies on the big screen, as they were being re-released for a brief time.

Meh. I wasn't thrilled, but I didn't hate them either. I guess you could say I was ambivalent. And probably predisposed NOT to like them.

But when I got that flier up there, I knew I had to go. Doesn't that just sound hilarious?

It is. Oh my GOD, is it hilarious. And I'm sure I'd have appreciated it even more if I were more acquainted with the ins and outs of the movies.

In an hour's time, Charles Ross re-creates all three films, with music, sound effects, and all the important characters. He even does the opening credits. Seriously.

Hi. Lar. I. Ous.

If you go, and I think you should, just be careful if you're sitting in the front row. He spits a lot. Not on purpose, but still...

8
At 01 March, 2007 02:31, Blogger The Savage said...

I do a pretty good Jaba the Hutt impersonation.... My vader ain't bad neither....

 
At 01 March, 2007 04:58, Blogger SignGurl said...

I've never seen the Star Wars movies either for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I thought I was the only person in the northern hemisphere that hadn't seen them.

I did, however see all of the Indiana Jones movies and they were awesome!

 
At 01 March, 2007 08:05, Blogger Foofa said...

I have loved Star Wars since I was about five. If I watch the movies now they really make me laugh, there is a lot of plain old silliness in them. I don't understand the peoplethat ake them so seriously because those films are straight comedy. I think the reason the new ones sucked so much is they couldn't capture that same humor. This show sounds awesome I wish it were in Chicago.

 
At 01 March, 2007 08:54, Blogger Sturdy Girl said...

any one man who claims to do the work of many more is bound to be at least a little amusing.

I'm not a fan of the spitting though, so thanks for the warning.

 
At 01 March, 2007 12:52, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Ooooooooooooooky. I loathe spitters. Ack ack.

I'll plan on sitting a few rows back or wearing my raingear if I ever see that guy! Ha!

So happy you had a great time. There are few things in this world that make me feel great like belly laughs!

 
At 01 March, 2007 18:52, Blogger terry said...

c'mon, savage... let's hear those impersonations!

signgurl, i DID finally see the first three flicks.. but not the most recent three. i still haven't seen any of the indy movies. i may be the only person in the U.S. who hasn't...

natalie, you would LOVE this show, keep your eyes peeled -- it could end up there! he's traveling all over with it.

lovemonkey, he's ambitious. that's for sure.

and the spitting isn't intentional. in fact, i see it in a lot of plays, if i'm up close. it's just that when he's really close to the audience... well.. it's inevitable...

buddhagirl, i'm with you! there's nothing better than a big old laugh.

 
At 02 March, 2007 11:54, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

as a high level nerd, i feel compelled to remain silent on the fact that someone would dare to admit publically that they didn't want to see star wars, and were ambivalent when they saw them

and not seeing indiana jones?

[hhhrrrruuummmph]

top gun and jurassic park you completely get a pass on

as long as you read jurassic park the book...

 
At 03 March, 2007 05:08, Blogger the shrewness said...

i am also one of the few who have never seen any of the star wars movies. i really never got into it. but i saw this documentary (i think it was on the discovery channel) about how the movies were made and i have to admit, im a wee bit curious now.

ive never seen the indiana jones movies either...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->