Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, September 24, 2006

I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps...






And it looks like I will, at Christmas!







Mom and I are planning a trip to NYC for Christmas this year.

The idea was planted last Christmas, when Mom was here, and we were watching New York getting snowed in on TV. We looked at each other, and she asked, "Why aren't we there?"

So this year, we will be! I won't get to take my usual week off between Christmas and New Year's, as I am the junior manager, but I can take the week before...

Can I place my order for snow now?

We haven't been to New York together since the early 80's, when we were visiting relatives in Connecticut one Christmas and took the bus into the city for a day. We were scared little suburban rabbits then, and the big city was awfully intimidating. And unfortunately, we wasted most of our day on a bus tour. It was still fun.


About five or six years later, on another trip to visit family, my now-ex-husband and I spent a whirlwind day in the city, during which we stole a cue card from David Letterman's set. We thought that was so special...


Last year, I finally got to spend more than a day there when my friend Cindy invited me to join her and her daughter and nieces for a big trip to the big city. God, that was a blast...and I came home thinking I should move there. It just felt like home, but bigger and better. And all new to me at the same time. And since it's the center of the media universe, I figured there HAD to be a job there for me.


So I started doing some research and deep thinking about it. There was no reason I couldn't move....but could I handle starting a new life in a new place where I don't know anyone? I have a great support system here. Could I leave that? Even for a city as amazing as New York?


And then, one day, as I was driving home along the Marina, and looked at the sun preparing to set behind the Golden Gate Bridge, I burst into tears when I thought about leaving.

Guess I'm not actually ready for that. Yet. Maybe I'll never be.


But I can visit.



10
At 24 September, 2006 12:46, Blogger Diva M. said...

The week before Christmas, huh? I'm happy for you because New York is fabulous, but you can probably imagine my opinion of the timing. Tee, hee, hee...

 
At 24 September, 2006 15:09, Blogger terry said...

ah, yes... of course! but i gotta have some holiday time with mom, you know...


(my verification word: tvaawt. hahahah. looks like something else. okay, i'm a 12-year-old boy.)

 
At 24 September, 2006 17:11, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

There are few things that can compare to NY at Christmas!

I'm so glad you and your mom will be able to spend it in a city so wonderful!

Specific plans yet? Shows to see? Places to go? Etc.?

 
At 24 September, 2006 17:59, Blogger terry said...

bg, i can't wait. it's gonna be so cool. we don't have specific plans yet...and i don't know if we'll see any shows (she's not all that interested, and there's not much i'm dying to see) but i AM hoping and praying that stephen colbert is taping that week so i can pay homage... and perhaps fling myself at his feet.

i know my mother supports me in this endeavor.

 
At 24 September, 2006 23:59, Blogger DZER said...

never been ... but always wanted to ... maybe someday ...

 
At 25 September, 2006 15:00, Blogger SignGurl said...

You will have so much fun with your mom! I can't think of a better way to spend Christmas.

 
At 25 September, 2006 16:13, Blogger the shrewness said...

oh my god!! youll be in my neck of the woods!

i should take you out for some cocktails! :)

 
At 25 September, 2006 19:24, Blogger Queen of Cheese said...

oh BOY!!

you are going to have FUN!

hooray!

 
At 25 September, 2006 21:44, Blogger Natalia said...

Call me crazy...I miss the snow. I miss the cold. I miss the change of seasons. This is my first x-mas with my own place and I was just thinking today about decorations and such. I can't wait.

-N

 
At 25 September, 2006 23:12, Blogger terry said...

dzer, don't put it off! go now! now!
and i can't believe you didn't call me out for bringing up christmas in september...!

signgurl, i think we'll have a blast too. and she's long overdue for some big fun.

shrew, you don't have to ask me twice! i'm there.

cheese, hooray, indeed! and i still want to go to new york with you one day... for shopping and...uh... other good fun. heh.

nat, i don't think that's crazy at all. there SHOULD be snow at christmas. or at the very least, a chill in the air.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->