Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Call me crazy...


...but I've developed quite the crush on Anthony Bourdain.

I tried reading "Kitchen Confidential" more than once, years ago, but couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. I'm not sure why, but it just didn't grab me. But his TV show has become a must-watch.

I love his philosophy, of striving to be a traveler and not a tourist, and the way he shows great reverence for other cultures (at least, if he doesn't, it's all edited out.). I love a self-deprecating sense of humor. Plus, it's entertaining to watch him eat every gross thing you could possibly imagine. And enjoy it.

And he's not bad to look at, especially when he gets that mischievous look in his eye.

Yeah, I think he's on my list now.

(Abrupt topic change)

I'm a bad citizen.

I decided not to vote today.

I sat down with my ballot last night, and realized I couldn't come to a decision on anything. I don't like either of the Democratic candidates for governor; failing some greater inspiration, I just want someone to get Arnie out of office. And I don't have much confidence that either of these guys can do it.

The other races? Yawn. Lots of career politicians who are being termed out of office, looking for new jobs.

I don't care enough about the ballot measures to make an informed decision, and I'm torn on the one that is remotely interesting.

And why, oh why, are we asked to choose judges? How are we qualified to make that decision?

So I've thrown my hands up in the air and decided to be part of the majority that's not bothering to cast a ballot today.

I promise not to complain about the results.

12
At 06 June, 2006 20:44, Blogger Jon said...

YOU DIDN'T VOTE?! for shame

as for judges... a cop once told me that he just makes sure judges never retain their seat. Vote them out every time. I have never followed that philosophy, but maybe someday.

 
At 06 June, 2006 20:47, Blogger terry said...

i know, jon... it's a first. but when i realized how much i was stressing about my indecision, i decided to let it go.

i'll be at the polls in november, though, for the general election.

interesting thought, about judges. i just don't think we, the average joes, know enough about the law to choose a judge.

then again... we choose presidents... and governors...

hmmmm.

 
At 06 June, 2006 21:06, Blogger sassinak said...

i did that twice

once i was moving away in a month. it seemed inappropriate to vote in a provincial election in a province i was leaving.

once it was a municipal election in a city i moved to less than two months ago...

dude if you can't vote you can't vote. you aren't even offended enough to spoil your ballot. i don't approve of this is a general choice but sometimes it's the right thing.

 
At 07 June, 2006 00:50, Blogger DZER said...

I love how Bourdain goes to the out-of-the-way spots where no normal tourists go, eating the local foods, unafraid to try all the weird shit. He is no gourmet, but a gourmand, which I appreciate.

As for the other, don't you hate it when you're basically left to choose between the lesser of the sucky candidates?

We elect 15 local senators here every 2 years. I can't remember the last time I voted for more than five or six.

 
At 07 June, 2006 05:05, Blogger sassinak said...

i love local foods. i just avoid eating brains and bugs and otherwise?

whatev.

 
At 07 June, 2006 09:00, Blogger terry said...

sass, that makes sense...not to vote when you're not ready or are moving away. i certainly didn't feel prepared to cast a ballot.

and the funny thing is, most of the results came out the way i was leaning...!

dz, i love that about him too. i think that's why i find the show so fascinating even when he goes to places i'm not interested in visiting myself.

 
At 07 June, 2006 10:36, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

Yeah...I have no words on the voting thing. Sometimes we all have to throw up our hands in disgust. Just promise me that you'll vote in the next election even if you merely use my name as a write-in on the ballot. *snicker*

As for Anthony. I have secreted coveted him for about a year now. I LOVE his show. He has the best sense of humor and the bravest stomach possible. I think he should take us both to dinner in some wacked-out country. I'll bring some crackers for us to knosh on while we watch him eat up on the local flavors. Deal? (I won't even hold his hand! You can have that pleasure. I just want to shoot the shit with him!)

 
At 07 June, 2006 15:43, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

Anthony Bourdain is way cool.

I want to be his friend who travels with him (not in the biblical sense...). I agree to eat all the stuff he does - maybe more.

Great voice, good commentary, smart, unafraid, unpretentious.

he's just about the only cooking show i'll watch anymore beyond Iron Chef (original)

yep

'bout it

----

as for not voting

bad you

you're forgiven

make up for it on the real e-day

that's when your vote against the right wing will really count

 
At 07 June, 2006 19:08, Blogger terry said...

buddha girl, i like that idea! and then he has to have cocktails with us, too.

and to both you and cad -- i will be at my polling place on the real e-day without a doubt....if for no other reason than to cast another vote against that moron who is our governor.

 
At 07 June, 2006 20:49, Blogger Michael B said...

i've been a bourdain fan for years...and i DID make it through kitchen confidential the first time! i would love to travel with him except for the part where he stays up really late and drinks himself into a stupor. can't do that anymore. speaking of that...looking forward to sunday's do. turns out i am working for you on monday so you can tip a few extras...and i'll tip a few fewer.

cheers

 
At 08 June, 2006 08:00, Blogger terry said...

are you suggesting, michael, that i might drink myself into a stupor??

i am not the one who had a long conversation about a co-worker's tie, after martinis.

i'm just the one who let you go wander the streets, looking for a bart station!

 
At 08 June, 2006 19:18, Blogger Big Pissy said...

I've only seen his show a few times...thought it was great.

Love his hair!

I voted yesterday.

*sigh* My guy lost...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->