Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Feelin' groggy...

But not because I had to work an early shift today. Well, there's probably some residual sleepiness from yesterday. And the fact that I am always running out of steam by Thursday. And because I am old.

No, I was out last night with Ms. Sassy Hair, seeing the fabulous Paula West. She really is fabulous. If you ever get the chance to see her, GO. No, really. Get on a plane now and get thee to the Plush Room, which is not only a great, intimate venue for singers.. but is also a purveyor of tasty cocktails. Makes for a lovely evening.

My love of standards (particularly anything written by the Gershwins, Cole Porter, and Rodgers and Hammerstein) stems directly from my childhood. I'd always thought it was solely because I'd watched countless movie musicals with mom -- she's the one who introduced me to the amazing Gene Kelly -- until one night at the symphony several years ago.

It was an all-Gershwin program, which was a delight, and naturally, included Rhapsody in Blue. This was at a time when United Airlines had co-opted the piece for its commercials, so it was impossible to have a day pass without hearing it. So I was quite stunned as I listened to the San Francisco Symphony, and a long-buried memory of my father popped into my head. I had completely forgotten that he and I used to listen to Rhapsody and An American in Paris together, and would make up stories to go along with the music. And of course, I started bawling like a baby at the memory. My ex-hub kept asking me what was wrong, and I had to keep gesturing at him to shut up because I couldn't even speak (not to mention... HELLOOO! THERE IS NO TALKING DURING THE PERFORMANCE!!). Plus, I was working hard to try to keep my eyeliner from creating long, wet streaks across my face.

Even so, I am grateful to have that memory again, and now can't help but think of him everytime I hear a Gershwin tune. S'wonderful.

1
At 02 February, 2006 17:48, Blogger DZER said...

awww ... that's so sweet ...


same thing happens to me when I hear the "Honeycomb Song" ...heh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->