Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's coming...

I can feel it in the air, even.

Fall, that is.

Don't try to tell me it's already fall because we're past Labor Day. Fall doesn't begin until the Autumnal Equinox, which isn't until this weekend. (I got an "A" in my college astronomy class*. You can't fool me!)

And it's coming on so quickly. As I stepped outside after work this evening for my walk, my first along my downtown route in about a week and a half, everything felt different. I didn't need sunglasses, because it was already starting to get dark. And there's a chill in the air that hasn't been around for months, despite our cool summery weather in SF. It's a different kind of chill. A fall-y chill.

Fall's my favorite season. We get our best weather here during the fall; there's little fog, lots of sunshine, and there'll be a heat wave sometime between now and November (though we're actually expecting a little rain tomorrow night). There's some kind of romance about fall for me, and always has been. The chilly nights, the smell of fireplaces, the sweaters. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Most of the holiday season (because, see, winter doesn't start until a few days before Christmas...).

Can you feel it?


*i remain proud of this so many years later because i never thought it was possible for me to do well in a science class. this was a first. i said i was a dork; i never said i was any good at math or science...

13
At 18 September, 2007 20:36, Blogger Heidi the Hick said...

Really, you're feeling the weather change in San Fran too? It suddenly became fall on the weekend. Two weeks ago we were at the beach roasting in the sun and now we've got our furnace going.

Always makes me kind of sad to say goodbye to summer, but it was so hot and dry this year I could hardly get anything done.

I gotta go to Cali Forn I A one of these years...

 
At 18 September, 2007 20:41, Blogger terry said...

yeah, heidi... it's weird. it's usually a little more subtle than this... or maybe it's because we're expecting a little storm system to come through that things feel different... or maybe it's because i spent a week in much hotter and humid weather than i'm used to...

but it feels like fall.

and you'd better make SF a stop on your trip to Cali Forn I A!

 
At 18 September, 2007 21:01, Blogger Jon said...

You are an uber-dork, but we luv you anyway.

I feel it here too. I need to get my skis to the shop for a tuning.

 
At 19 September, 2007 07:16, Blogger Shannon Morgan said...

*pouts* I wish it were fall here! Alas, not for another month, at least.

 
At 19 September, 2007 08:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've had fall-like mornings and evenings this week and I love it! Glad you're getting a taste too...but NO WINTER, I don't want Winter.

 
At 19 September, 2007 08:30, Blogger Natalia said...

We didn't have rain at all in August, which is always rain month. And now we are in the midst of constant rain.

I don't melt, so it's fine.

I could actually use some melting.

Anyway.. bleah.

-N

 
At 19 September, 2007 08:30, Blogger sassinak said...

fall is bittersweet symphony for me... i love the cool crispness and the smell of winter but then, in late october or early november it gets DREARY and i just... don't like it. not to mention that i just LOVE summer and being so hot i feel baked...

but then winter, glorious winter with it's beautiful snow and peaceful silence...

 
At 19 September, 2007 11:13, Blogger SignGurl said...

Ditto what Sass said!

 
At 19 September, 2007 13:10, Blogger Laura said...

YES! i love the weather change! today it is COLD in chico. COLD. like sweatshirt, jeans and tennis shoes cold...and I LOVE IT!! fall is my favorite time as well.

 
At 19 September, 2007 16:51, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i am jealous

i like it when fall is a real season

here autumn isn't like more temperate areas - it turns rainy and shitty for awhile, and then the snow comes...

 
At 19 September, 2007 21:13, Blogger terry said...

jon, i'm not an uber dork... i am QUEEN of all dorks!

and don't you forget it!

nomad, is it still summery in your neck of the woods?

little sis, i've always enjoyed winter in places that actually get winter... but i haven't had to try to LIVE in it as an adult. i get to visit, and then leave. it's fun that way!

nat, i had no idea you got that much rain at this time of year. well, in august. normally. how weird.

sass, & signgurl... i hate hot. unless i'm on vacation and don't actually have to put clothes on and function. i do cool/cold MUCH better....

laura, i'm guessing you've gotten some rain already, eh?

cad, many might question whether we really get fall here.. but having lived through more than 20 of them, i can feel the change.

 
At 20 September, 2007 04:57, Blogger Blondie said...

Yes, I can feel it and I love it, TOO. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Ah, fall, such a great season.

 
At 21 September, 2007 04:19, Blogger Balloon Pirate said...

regarding your footnote:

Of course you're not good in math or science. If you were good at math or science you'd be a nerd.

Sheesh.

Dork.

yeharr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->