Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, October 28, 2006

I'm not worthy...




I went to the show staged by my hula teacher's troupe last night.




Oh my god.




First, let me point out that this was no student recital; this is a legitimate dance troupe that's renowned in the ethnic dance community and by the Bay Area's sizable Hawaiian population. There are always large crowds at these shows, I'm told.



And this is not just traditional hula. The troupe combines traditional hula with different dance styles and music you'd never expect to hear at a hula show. The leader likes to call it hula mua, or hula moving forward. Progressive hula.




Oh my god. They were so good. And made the most challenging steps look so incredibly easy, for which I have a new appreciation, since I'm a beginner spaz (actually, I'm an experienced spaz. I mean, I'm a spaz in the beginner's class). It was fun to spot the basic steps that I DO know throughout the show.


And I was again blown away by our Kumu Hula (teacher), who not only chanted, which he does in class, and told great stories, which he also does in class, but also sang a most beautiful song. I can't even tell you how thrilled I am to have a small association with someone so creative and talented. I am amazed by what he does.



I felt very lucky. And very inferior, watching these incredibly talented and beautiful dancers.



(It was also fun and funny to run into several people from class, as we're not all used to seeing each other in street clothes. I know there were a couple who didn't recognize me at first, since I was not drenched in sweat with my hair piled atop my head last night...)

6
At 28 October, 2006 10:52, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

*clapping hands*

I'm so glad you had a great time and were able to enjoy the feats of your teacher and his dance troupe. I love it when I'm wowed by the talents of others. Good times!

 
At 28 October, 2006 11:53, Blogger masgblog said...

hi terry...and thank you for the birthday wishes. T'was a good one, although I still managed to become another year older (working on fixing that one).

The Creepy Person was certainly that...CREEPY...we are hoping that he destroyed the work order, so that he doesn't find his way back here.

Other than that, have been playing with the new blogger, new template, and trying to improve as they say.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.....cheers!

 
At 28 October, 2006 15:24, Blogger Blondie said...

So fun! I want to go see a hula show. I will have to see if I can find one here in Chicago. But I would not hula myself because it would be scary.

 
At 28 October, 2006 15:39, Blogger JMai said...

Another fun night out for Terry... between you and my friend Debbie, the Bay Area sounds like such a great place to be!

It is funny when you see people out of your common element. I'd imagine it's kinda like running into coworkers at the laundromat or something.

 
At 29 October, 2006 07:08, Blogger Natalia said...

That is awesome. I like checking out artsy stuff. Some of it is lame but then there are those that blow your mind. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

-N

 
At 29 October, 2006 08:18, Blogger terry said...

bg, it was really great. and i almost didn't go, as i was dead tired and dateless, but it was my only chance to go before the show closes, soooo....
i'm glad i did!

masg, i'm happy to hear you had a happy birthday! and as a wise friend likes to say to me, whenever i get hung up on aging... what's the alternative?"

blondie, why would hula-ing be scary? i highly recommend it. despite my own spaz-ness.

jmai, remember when you'd see a teacher away from school? like at the grocery store? it was a lot like that.

nat, it was so the opposite of lame. it was faaaabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->