Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Home improvement...



The handyman who fixes things in my building says he's looking into repainting my entire apartment.







Yaay, right? Most people would be thrilled, no?




Most normal people.





I hate it when they work on my apartment. It always turns into an ordeal.


Those of you who were around last year surely remember all my whining about this project, which, by the way, they never finished, even though it seemed to go on and on forever. They were going to give my bedroom a second coat of paint "a couple of weeks later," and also put up a second towel rack in my bathroom, since they left me with just one. Which is now crooked, because of the way they hung it. "You want two?" they asked me. Yeah. I HAD two before you guys got involved in my life.




About a week and a half ago, I had to call the property management folks because someone apparently decided to throw rocks (or shoot BBs) at one of my dining room windows one night, leaving it with two distinct holes and a rather large crack. I also had a couple of weird collapsed spots in my hardwood floors, one of them about a foot and a half long.



A few days later, I got a frantic call at work from one of the property managers, telling me they had no keys to my apartment and the glass guy was there, and could I come home to let him in?


Um. No. It's noon, and I've just gotten back from a late breakfast with a former colleague. I can't leave right now unless it's an emergency. And how can they not have keys to my apartment? What if there HAD been an emergency? "Oh, we think the plumber might have them. He's terrible about returning keys."




Um. I feel really secure now, knowing that some random guy who's been in my apartment can get back in whenever he chooses.



So I'm asked to make another set of keys and leave them in their little drop box over the weekend, which I did.


Then it's three more days before the glass guy returns. But yay, the window's fixed. And boo, there's a mess for me to clean up. And a note from the handyman, saying he'll be in the following day to replace the piece of wood flooring. I decide to hold off on cleaning anything other than the bathroom, because I hate cleaning period, much less twice in a couple of days. (And no, I haven't gotten cleaning help yet, because I've been busy.)


He's a no-show the following day, of course. No message of explanation either. But he did show yesterday, and fixed the floor, and restained part of the floor. Nice, though stinky. And I also found stain on my computer table, my tiled dining room table, my kitchen, and my tiled bathroom floor. So now I have stain stains to clean. And then I see the note explaining all the other little surprise stuff he did, which includes some mystery repair to the bathroom window. And a mess in the tub I've just cleaned. Happy Friday!


He DID put up the second towel rack, though, in response to the note I'd left for him.



I hate to sound ungrateful, but could he not have told me what else he was planning to do? (He, by the way, is the one who still had my keys. Not the plumber. Still.)



I can't even imagine how much of a mess they'd make if they repainted the whole place, and how much of an inconvenience it will be for me to deal with. And how much of my stuff will end up with little paint spatters on it. And the floors. My bedroom floor has little paint spatters from last year. I had to get a new broom and a new mop because they, in a sad attempt to clean up after themselves on occasion, wrecked both.



We're going to have to have a little talk, if this come to fruition.


Sigh.

no, i don't know why the spacing is all fucked up on this post. fucking beta...

6
At 21 October, 2006 14:28, Blogger The Savage said...

When it rais it pours, eh?

It could be worse.. you could have mice too...

 
At 22 October, 2006 07:51, Blogger Blondie said...

That sounds like a total disaster. I would be so pissed off! Why can't the workers clean up their messes before they leave?? Why is that so hard?? They are being PAID after all. Sigh. Sorry, I just get so mad when people don't respect someone else's home...

 
At 22 October, 2006 11:33, Blogger terry said...

ha ha, savage... HA HA.

blondie, i just wish they'd tread a little more lightly and also keep me apprised of what they're doing, so i can take steps to get my shit out of their way.

 
At 22 October, 2006 11:41, Blogger sassinak said...

they are required by law to give you proper notice, otherwise it's trespassing.

take before and after pictures.

detailed ones. (and take stain pics of any stain that didn't come out)

and then call the property management company and explain to them that you're hiring someone to clean up after them and that you will be removing it from your next month's rent.

also demand that they change your locks because their incompetence has rendered your home insecure.

advise them that if they have a problem with that they can stop painting your shit.

also move all your furniture to the middle of the room and cover it yourself.

check with elle to see if my sense of law is right in cali :)

 
At 22 October, 2006 11:54, Blogger sassinak said...

oh and i commented on your post re your brother...

and i'm really really glad to hear you're going back to pilates!

:)

 
At 22 October, 2006 12:40, Blogger terry said...

sass, that's a great idea about the pics. i will definitely do that.

during the great bathroom ceiling debacle of 2005, i asked for and received a rent reduction because of all the crap i was dealing with, so i will definitely be all over them if they decide to paint the place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->