Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Friday, December 30, 2005

"Here comes the jackpot question in advance...


...What are you doing New Year's
New Year's Eve?"

Ah, yes. It's that time again. Time to decide what to do on That Night. The night when many people go out just because they think they should. Because it seems lame to stay home, alone, when you think "everyone else" is out having a blast.

But here's the thing: chances are, they're not. Forced frivolity is terrible, on any night. But on NYE, you're also dealing with expensive cover charges, large crowds, and drunken amateurs. Unless you've got something really great to do, I think going out on NYE is highly overrated.

My fondest NYE memory: the year I went to Tahoe with Kimmy, Guppy, Sherri and her husband Andrew. Oh, yeah, the ex-hub was there too. Whatever. Anyway. Omigod, that was a fun trip... and we had such a raucous game of Pictionary one evening that we needed a nap afterwards. (It was the altitude! You people....) There was even a little drama. And snow. Good times.

In recent years, I've spent several NYEs at home, watching some great (or terrible) movies or TV marathons, pouring my favorite cocktails and enjoying my favorite snacks by candlelight. (I really know how to set the mood... for myself.) Yes, there's always a moment when I feel sad and lonely and end up in tears, but that passes when I think of all the wonderful people in my life and all the fun things I get to do. And think of all the possibilities of the year ahead.

Then there was the year my friend Ellen and I rented the Pamela Anderson-Tommy Lee sex tape for our NYE entertainment. THAT was... uh.... interesting. Everything you've heard about Tommy Lee is true, by the way, but what was really fascinating was the non-sex stuff. Those two had absolutely nothing to say to each other, except "I love you babe!" "I love YOU!" Oy.

Tomorrow night? I'm not sure what I'm doing. My friend Audrey, who moved away from the Bay Area earlier this year, is in town, as her hubby's band is playing at a club in the city, so I might go there...but I'll betcha I don't stay until midnight. That particular moment isn't all that much fun when you're solo, with no one to kiss, so I'll probably be toasting myself at home at that magic moment. (We're expecting quite a bit of rain today and tomorrow, so that's another concern -- drunk drivers in the rain! Whee!!)

Hope you have a fun (and safe) celebration, whatever you're doing. Just watch out for the drunken morons. They'll be out in force...

->