Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Extra randomy goodness!


Oh no. It's that time again. When the Cadbury Creme Eggs taunt me from store shelves and near cash registers. Whoever created these things is evil.
Yeah, I bought a couple today. They were two for a buck! I am nothing if not a bargain shopper.


Where the hell is my thumb ring? I wear a bunch of rings. Seven, most days. And last month, while I was packing for my trip to SoCal, I had all the rings in my hand one second, and the next, the thumb ring had vanished. I figured it would turn up the next time I cleaned house, or unpacked (my open suitcase was nearby when the ring disappeared). The damned thing hasn't turned up yet. (Yes, I have cleaned house several times since then. What, do you think I'm a slob or something?)
My poor thumb feels so naked.


When did butter get so expensive?? I rarely shop at "regular" grocery stores anymore. Between the food allergy issues and my budget, I spend most of my food dollars at Costco, Trader Joe's, and Rainbow, which is a local organic grocery co-op. I'm between trips to TJs and needed some butter for a sauce I wanted to make, so I stopped at the Safeway near work and found the butter I used to buy was now $5.69 a package! For plain old average BUTTER! Unfuckingbelievable.


You ever get the feeling that the universe is trying to send you a message? I decided to make myself a cake this weekend. I'd bought this gluten-free spice cake mix awhile ago, and it was so cold and dreary on Saturday, I felt like baking. To warm up the apartment, of course.
It sure smelled good while it was in the oven, but like many GF baked goods, the cake was on the dry side. So I decided to make some frosting. I mean, the cake was dry! It NEEDED frosting! (Never mind that I think cake only exists as a vessel for frosting.)

So I start with the recipe on the powdered sugar container. I don't know what the hell I did wrong there, but what turned up in that bowl resembled cottage cheese. Gray cottage cheese. Or vomit.
Tossed it.
Tried another recipe that involved 100 eggs and a whole lot of labor, and that turned out to be another disgusting mess. Tossed it and gave up for the day.
Sunday, I dipped some naked cake in my coffee, and it wasn't bad, but I still wanted to frost the thing. Again, what's the point of cake if not to have frosting??

That evening, a friend came over to my house, so in my effort to keep things tidy, I moved the naked cake from my dining room table to a spot that would be out of the way (and out of the line of any ant fire). I put it on top of my stove. Which is always pretty warm, even when it's off.
I bought some damned frosting today (when I bought the overpriced butter) and when I uncovered the cake, lo and behold, the thing is pretty much crispy on the outside. It sat on that warm stove, and what little moisture it contained evaporated with the heat.

I tossed the cake. Which is probably not such a bad thing.

Especially with the Cadbury Creme Eggs around.


5
At 21 February, 2006 18:12, Blogger Madame X said...

It was your butter that made the frosting look like cottage cheese.
Next time just use slightly soften butter, the powdered sugar and vanilla and then and ONLY then if it's too thick add a little milk.

As for the cadbury eggs...I hear that there is a place in NYC that batters and deep fries them!
OMG!!!!
I have got to try that!

 
At 21 February, 2006 18:14, Blogger terry said...

ohhhhh, you see, the recipe i was using even CALLED for milk.
i'm still shuddering, thinking of how awful that mess looked. bleah.

DEEP FRIED CADBURY EGGS?? oh. my, god.

 
At 22 February, 2006 05:43, Blogger Madame X said...

I've had deep fried OREO's!
Delish!
And
A deep fried Snickers bar.
Better, yes I said BETTER, than sex!

 
At 22 February, 2006 08:36, Blogger Michelle said...

Deep fried ANYTHING is usually good! :)

I love Cadbury creme eggs.....omg. It's just not Easter without them..hehe Talk about a sugar high!!

SOrry your cake didnt turn out :( Sucks when you are anticipating something so much!

 
At 22 February, 2006 08:53, Blogger terry said...

oreos in any form are to die for...so it's probably not such a bad thing that i can't eat them anymore...!

cadbury creme eggs.. food of the gods...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->