Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Squishy...

I got to see one of my mentors the other day. He was my first teacher in my college major, and the first to show me that I could make a career out of... what I do for a living. It's a competitive field, and, because of that, many of my classmates ended up doing other things.

(Do you enjoy the vagueness? It makes for some awkward writing, that's for sure!)

Anyway. When I first met him, he was pretty intimidating (though I'd later learn he's really just a big softie underneath it all). He had high standards, and expected a lot of us. It was a huge deal when he chose me to manage the student staff of... the thing we all worked on (awk!). This was a paying job, and being selected for it was a big vote of confidence. I added a year to my time in college because of the opportunity.

Mind you, this was more than two decades ago, though we've stayed in touch all this time. He's been a really important part of my life.

So it was truly wonderful to hear him say that when people ask him about who his students were, I'm second on his list of the "most accomplished." (Number One is high-profile, and is well-known in certain circles.) Because I just realized this is the closest thing to paternal approval I'll ever get.

I may have lost my father when I was young, but I've been really fortunate to have some very special teachers/mentors in my life, and I'm really lucky that some of them are still in my corner.

4
At 27 April, 2008 17:13, Blogger The Savage said...

I often wonder about some of my more influential teachers.... but with the booze induced memory haze... ehhh not so much....
Excellence is you byproduct.... that's 'cuz you are made of awesome!

 
At 28 April, 2008 07:06, Blogger Anonymouse said...

Wow that is cool! Need anyone in accounting...? Of that place you work at? lol

 
At 01 May, 2008 16:17, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

mentors are even more important when it comes to approval than parents sometimes - because parents are supposed to love you just because

but a mentor ends up caring because of who you are - whom you've made yourself

there is less comfort in unqualified love - but more validation

 
At 03 May, 2008 06:08, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

I was just thinking about the lady I would tag as my 'mentor' though she never officially played that role. To this day, there is no one else in my life who has been more influencial and beneficial to my career. And to boot, she's become a great friend as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->