Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Oh. My. God....

"Go, girl!"

These are the words that greeted me on a solicitation I received in the mail today.
Nauseating, no?
It gets worse.

"Introducing the one magazine that celebrates women over 40."
(yes, the 40 is larger than the rest of the words in this sentence.)

It's an offer for a free year of More magazine. And by the misspelling on the address label (there's a "c" where the "a" belongs in my last name, making my surname sound vaguely Czech or Polish, instead of Irish), I can tell that it was Glamour magazine that sold them my name.

Are they trying to tell me I'm too old for their cheesy mag?

Even more troubling -- how do they KNOW how old I am? I've never provided any demographic info.

God. "They" think I need to read a special magazine for my age group.
I need a drink.

4
At 21 October, 2005 05:17, Blogger Michael B said...

hey- just wait til you approach 50. all of a sudden you'll start hearing from your excellent friends at AARP on a weekly basis. and i still haven't joined up.

 
At 21 October, 2005 07:47, Blogger terry said...

oh GOD. no.

 
At 23 October, 2005 14:39, Blogger Jon said...

You and I are in the same boat Terry. We both hit forty, but we are only there by age not attitude.

I don't like being forty. I especially don't like putting my age down on places like internet personal ads, but I certainly can't start out a relationship with a lie. So that means of course that I get contacted by people that think that because I am over forty I am desperate.

I have friends that are 35 that act older than me. I am a kid at heart. That is what is important. I hate the fact some people think that my age has anything to do with who I am.

If you ever make it to Colorado Springs I'll take you out for the best sidecar you've ever had, made by who the local newpaper readers call the best bartended in town... my brother.

 
At 24 October, 2005 09:51, Blogger terry said...

Besides... everyone tells me that 40 is the new 30.

I wish someone would tell my crow's feet that. And my gray hair...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->