Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

On my soap box for a moment...

Okay, this clearly hit a nerve with me.

You've seen the Susan Boyle video, right? From "Britain's Got Talent?"

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that it's linked all over the internet as a reason not to judge a book by its cover.

Tell me, what is wrong with her cover, exactly? Because she doesn't fall into our culture's extremely narrow standard of youthful beauty she clearly has no value? She's to be laughed at? And it's a huge surprise that she has an amazing voice?

OH. MY. GOD. People. WAKE THE FUCK UP.

We have to stop marginalizing each other. For any reason. Looks, race, age, background... whatever.

I have spent so much time and energy throughout my life feeling bad about myself because I don't fit into the standard, either, and this was made very clear to me at a very tender, impressionable age. It's the number one reason I have such terrible memories of my adolescence in Barbie-land.

We are damaging people with this shit.

Knock it off. I'm trying to do the same.

9
At 16 April, 2009 06:48, Blogger Lil'Sis said...

I couldn't agree with you more Terry, love you bunches!

 
At 16 April, 2009 20:11, Blogger Diva M. said...

I also agree, as I said on Facebook. Phil forwarded the url for the video to me on Monday, and I didn't get what all the fuss was about. Not because the woman doesn't have a beautiful voice, but because I didn't see why anyone would assume she couldn't sing in the first place.

Honestly. Since when do physical appearance and singing talent have anything to do with each other?

And just because I'm cynical about reality tv/talent shows, I bet the cuts of the audience laughing at her before she started singing were examples of creative editing on the part of the producers, as opposed to any real reactions. I'm just saying...

 
At 16 April, 2009 23:03, Blogger Pat & Reg said...

Amen sister.

 
At 17 April, 2009 07:17, Blogger Miss Awesome said...

Yeah when I watched it I couldn't understand why they would assume she couldn't sing...and I agree with Sassy, probably editing or a set up.

 
At 18 April, 2009 16:03, Blogger masgblog said...

2 thumbs up with you on this!!!!

 
At 20 April, 2009 11:34, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

I couldn't have said it any better. It's such a piss-off.

As a NOT blonde, thin, tanned, sculpted, blue-eyed, fake boobaged, Botoxed woman, I hear you loud and clear.

 
At 26 April, 2009 12:27, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

if nickleback and hinder in concert were signs of the apocolypse

what is all the brooh-hah-ha about this lady?

i agree with sassy hair - as a former communications officer - this smells badly of PR and publicist promotion - and a willing media looking to tell stories inside their hollywood/music video/pussycat dolls sensibilities

this whole situation tells a huge story about the new lows to which western culture is sliding - no - willingly diving

 
At 30 April, 2009 07:30, Blogger The Savage said...

To me the "beautiful" people are the ugly ones...
And that lady got a set of pipes!

 
At 03 May, 2009 11:35, Blogger Princess Stupidhead said...

You're absolutely right. I should have been more outraged too, having grown up as a "Midge" in Barbieland. Shame on me. Thanks for the wake up call.

ps. I am not a new reader. I used to be sturdy. Please come check out our new digs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->