Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Yikes...

I didn't realize it had been so long since I last posted! Time flies when you're... uh... really busy.

Preparations continue for our hula ho'ike (our first recital). Here's a glimpse of the dress I'll be wearing during the auana (modern hula) portion of the program:


Fabric's kinda cheesy, eh? I like that. There are 120 people in my class, so finding enough fabric with the same pattern to clothe us all was a big challenge, apparently. And I'm pleased I got my first color choice, even though the dress itself isn't particularly flattering. It's really well-made though -- several seamstresses worked their fingers off for us. Now I just have to figure out how to dance in it without tripping on it, as it's very... very... long.




And then there's the kahiko (ancient hula) costume that I have to make. Well, that I've been making with the kind and patient help of my dear friends Kimmy and Rebecca. As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, we have to print a design on our skirts, following some detailed guidelines. I am terrible -- no, really, I'm not exaggerating -- at crafting, so Kimmy* the fine graphic artist made me a fabulous and perfect stencil to use for my wave pattern. She's so good she designed this long-distance, after a brief email conversation. Here's how the pattern looks (with some seashell action above):




No, I couldn't color between the lines when I was a kid, either (and I remember getting in trouble for that in school. wtf??). But I like the imperfections here -- they're very me.



Here's (more) proof that I was actually involved in the printing on the fabric:



  • Apparently, I thought I was doing surgery. To me, crafting is as difficult as surgery!

  • The lovely Rebecca has not only opened her home to me to make this outfit, she's coached me through it from the beginning, helped me paint the fabric (SIX YARDS!), and is sewing the whole thing. It's been very time consuming, and has required much patience.
  • It's safe to say I couldn't do this without my friends, and I'll feel them with me as I dance in this outfit. (Pics of the finished product coming soon.)
  • On top of this, I have a big fat deadline at work next week, so it's been a very busy month of juggling. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from overbooking my social calendar too, so you can imagine how messy my apartment is.
  • And right now, I'm just too tired to care.
*normal people call her Kim

7
At 09 July, 2008 21:35, Blogger cadbury_vw said...

i like the fabric you chose

----

oh, no! not a messy apartment!

whatever will you do...?

enjoy your overbooked social calendar - is all i can say

the apartment can wait

 
At 10 July, 2008 10:21, Blogger Jeannette said...

Both fabrics look great. Love the gloves! You do realize that when you're finished with all of this...we want pictures. Oh, yes we do. I want to see these outfits and if you can tape this dance, we'd love to see you do your stuff!!

 
At 11 July, 2008 11:56, Blogger sassinak said...

woo hoo double posting by terryn'sass

lol

 
At 12 July, 2008 19:23, Blogger Mouthy Girl said...

You shut up! I am so impressed! The look on your face while "crafting" is PRICELESS. Buddha calls it "crapping." Great crapping, Terry.

BTW, my best friend from college? Her name is Kim, and I call her Kimmy K. All the time. No rhyme or reason. Who cares about 'normal people?'

 
At 16 July, 2008 14:36, Blogger JHS, Esq. said...

Hi Terry-

Congratulations! Your post from June 18, 2006 titled “Father’s Day…” has been selected as our Post of the Day on “The Rising Blogger”. It is a site that awards posts, not blogs. We will email your winning badge to post in your sidebar and all our info, if you contact us with your email address. To encourage your readers to comment on your award, it helps if you make the first comment on our post about your blog, yourself. We ask winners to nominate a post favorite of a fellow blogger. Call it “paying it forward”. Neither is a requirement. You have won this award because we truly feel you deserve it. To reach “The Rising Blogger” site:

http://therisingblogger.blogspot.com

Have a great week!
Judd Corizan
The Rising Blogger

 
At 17 July, 2008 09:46, Blogger masgblog said...

:-)

for my favourite Dork-ette...

 
At 17 July, 2008 19:36, Blogger Jeannette said...

Congratulations!!! That Father's Day post has always been my favorite too! Woohoo!! Go Terry!!! Keep up the good work!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

->