Dork-o-Rama: The Random Thoughts of a Total Goofball

Embracing the Dork Side....Because Life is Too Short to Take Yourself Too Seriously

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Wow!

News item:

MIAMI (AP) - Tropical Storm Katrina strengthened Thursday as it trudged toward Florida's heavily populated southeastern coast, and forecasters expected it to become a weak hurricane before making landfall overnight.

Woo hoo!
I love hurricanes.
No, I don't take pleasure in the misfortune of others. (Well, most of the time, anyway...). It's not the destruction that thrills me, nor even the amazing power of Mother Nature.

No. It's the hurricane coverage on TV, especially on CNN. You see, the brilliant minds in TV news think the best way to show the dangers of being outdoors in a hurricane is to place several reporters outdoors during hurricanes. And it's the funniest shit you'll ever see on the news.
A fine example, here. (I saw this live, as it happened... and then the constant replays. Oh, the drama of a FALLING SIGN!! The HORROR! Great stuff.)

Last year, I was richly rewarded for my extensive viewing of hurricane coverage when a reporter in Florida literally got blown out of camera range. He'd been crouching low, talking about how hard it was to stand up straight... then he stood up straight, and got knocked over by the very high winds he'd been describing. I nearly peed my pants.

So if you're looking for something to watch on TV tonight, tomorrow, or during any future hurricanes.... I'm telling you, turn on CNN. You won't be sorry.

->